Thread: Best fishing at Ship

Default Best fishing at Ship

What tides are the best for fishing at ship early season?

Most will say 1 hour before to 2 hours after high is best - but what about flipping a bead at a low tide when you can see the holding structure?

You will get differnt answer to your question.

High tide is when you will see people there soaking eggs or throwing hardware.

Me, I like to fish the outgoing tide for Kings. about and hour or two into the tide going out is when the action for me picks up..

Silvers I love to fish low tide. I get there an hour before low tide and fish it until the tide comes in.

Low tide you can find some nice holes that will hold fish. I throw a bead and slap the water.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs down

Do salmon like beads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    What tides are the best for fishing at ship early season?

Most will say 1 hour before to 2 hours after high is best - but what about flipping a bead at a low tide when you can see the holding structure?

Default just

was looking for opinions - thanks. My uncle fished it last year quite a bit - he said that most people were there at high throwing spoons and spinners and chunkin bait but most fish were caught before and after a low tide by people slappin beads - he said that the more experienced shippers caught a lot of fish with the beads on holding fish.

I also think that fish move in during a high tide but with all that water you have to have really active fish or be very lucky to get your offering right in front of their nose. When the water starts to go back out the fish get a wee bit nervous and becomre more aggressive. While fishing a low tide you can see the structure and fish for fish that are holding...

then again I really don't know what I am talking about.

Default if fish could read

If the durn fish would read the same BS that I do mebbe I could catch one of them buggers!

Default another random post

I've always been amazed that a king or silver could actually "see" a pixee or vibrax in that dark brown chocolate water of ship creek. I can understand locating bait by smell, but "seeing" in that water has always been a mystery to me. Perhaps that's why I prefer 2 hrs +/- of lowtide to do some flip casting down there. Plus, I've always hated that "grandma fishing" - you know - get out the chair, and cooler, pitch a canopy, make some coffee, toss your bait in the water and go to sleep until the little bell rings....that kind of fishing never appealled to me...

Default It all works

All of the methods described by Ship Creek denizens in the above posts work. Some people like one technique over another and favor one because they are more comfortable doing it.

If you're just going to spend a couple of hours fishing at a time, then a single technique makes sense. But if you're spending the whole day down at Ship then trying and learning the three main types of fishing there ("flipping" a yarn fly, casting a spinning lure, and bobber fishing with bait) only makes sense.

When you've exhausted one technique, it's time to move on to the next. And it's satisfying to master (or at least, get good at) each technique and come away with a fish having really worked the creek.

Just go down there and watch and ask questions. Most folks will be glad to answer even the ones you may think are "dumb questions". They may even hand you some bait and a leader hookup...

jim

Default Beads?

I had the same question about using beads myself...never fished for Salmon with just a bead. Rainbows yes...but not Salmon. Is there a technique i've been missing?

Default "Flipping" with beads

You'll see anglers using a yarn fly (egg loop hook with yarn tied on) and an unsecured bead on the line in front of the hook. The bead is simple to add a little weight to the yarn fly.

I have rarely had a king moving up the creek strike my yarn fly. I don't think they key in on the bead as though it was an egg. The yarn acts as a wing in the water and helps the hook move along downstream on the bouncing weight attached further up the leader. When the hook needs to float higher in the water, I'll use a corkie.

Is this any help?

jim

Jim,
    Do you usually fish upstream between the Dam and The Bridge? I work down by the creek and need to start hitting it in the morning before I head to work and that seems to be the most friendy water for a fly rod.

Default Beading

It's a technique used by some fisherman in low water conditions to force feed the salmon, and used regularly on Kenai R. to fish for reds. Personally, I would rather entice the Kings to bite. Some anglers have a different mind set when choosing their angling style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigby257 View Post
    I had the same question about using beads myself...never fished for Salmon with just a bead. Rainbows yes...but not Salmon. Is there a technique i've been missing?

I understand what was meant now. I took it to mean that you guys were using just a bead and a bare hook. I usually don't use anything other than a fly or hook with yarn, but may try the bead thing along with the other setup. Thanks for the knowledge.

You can basically hook any salmon with just a bare hook by just lining them. I see this all the time especially in Ship. All the bead/corkie does is make the rig/setup legal.

Saw a guy catch a 20-25lb King 10 yards upstream from me on his Fly Rod today about 4pm. No idea what he was using, but it made me feel better about standing in the mud.

JB

Default Cmo1977

Yep. On the 6AM opening, I'm between The Bridge Restaurant and the Dam.

Default Call it What You Will

The most effective overall technique for Kings or Silvers (wherever there is fast current and people know where the fish slot is) that I have seen on Ship Creek is the ever controversial:

Flossing
    Dragline
    Drift & Lift
    Lip Rip
    Ballistic Bounce

All of the above being the same technique with various degrees and duration of emphasis placed at different points in a rapidly repeated circular motion. Double snell with bright yarn to help YOU see where it is. The key is knowing where the fish lay and move.

Far & away the most fish I have seen caught is on the often exaggerated "lift" motion on the retreive while "drift" fishing.

Depending on the skill of the angler, and/or their luck they may or may not get busted for the other term for this technique which when taken to excess which is commonly referred to as "snagging" in the mouth (or back or tail etc....).

The late nite silver fishery is a lawless wasteland under cover of night with lots of people flagrantly snagging and keeping over their limit.....

Next most effective is eggs at high tide on bobber or bottom in a hole......