Thread: Caribou hunting in 14B

Default Caribou hunting in 14B

Does anybody know where the Caribou are in 14B and is there anyone who knows where and if you can land a wheel plane out there to hunt. I need about 12-1400' for the plane. Thanks Tom

14B is only open for caribou hunting by drawing permit. Are you trying to figure out if it is feasible to put in for the drawing?

Default area 14B hunt

Hi Brian, Yes , I'm hoping to draw there and was hoping to be able to fly in w/o hireing a float operator to drop me.

we set up some baits in there last year and had some caribou come walking right up the river to us. we were on a strip that if it had a little work done on it you could get a beaver in and out. This was at the head waters of the kashwitna river believe it or not..

Default thank you

Thank you , I'll fly up there and take a look. Tom

Default Not that long

There are several places to land (not all "airstrips") but I sure don't know of any in the 12-1400' range. Half that maybe. I'd plan on hiring out.

There are several places to land a cub type plane in the 500' range. But I don't know if there are too many places that are 1200' to 1400'.

Default hireing out

I think hireing out is a good idea, I can get the Pacer in short but getting out is another thing and its cheeper to pay for a fly in than fixing a boched T/O and broken plane and body. I've been flying a long time and have learned to not push the envelope .

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Does anybody know where the Caribou are in 14B and is there anyone who knows where and if you can land a wheel plane out there to hunt. I need about 12-1400' for the plane. Thanks Tom
    Hi Tom,
    I drew this hunt for this fall and just wondering what, if anything, you found out two years ago. I'm trying to figure out where to fly into and if/where you were able to find any caribou.
    Really any information would be helpful.
    Thanks.

Default caribou

you cn usually find a couple up at the head waters of peters and perches creek no real place the land a plane in there and you have about 10-12 river crossings to get into there. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    we set up some baits in there last year and had some caribou come walking right up the river to us. we were on a strip that if it had a little work done on it you could get a beaver in and out. This was at the head waters of the kashwitna river believe it or not..
    At river level? The strip I mean. Was it on a island? I have been up and down that river 100 times and have never seen anything that could come close to handling a Beaver. Work or not.

Quote Originally Posted by brslar View Post
    you cn usually find a couple up at the head waters of peters and perches creek no real place the land a plane in there and you have about 10-12 river crossings to get into there. Good luck
    It looks as if Purches Creek is along the southern boundry of the hunt area. You mention getting in there with several creek crossings. Is that via ATV from Fishhook Rd?
    Thanks.

Default BOU

ATV over the top of willow mountain or more commonly called blackies.
    You can find them on the back side of blackies as well in the deep steep cannons. Good luck