Thread: Another pennisula bear

Default Another pennisula bear

Got back from the pennisula last week with my dad, had a great hunt with a little dose of wind and rain. First we got stuck in King Salmon for 2 days because of bad weather on the coast and then after we finally got on the coast we found out why we got stuck in King Salmon, the weather on the coast is a beast. The first day of the hunt we saw a monster of a bear at about 400yds and we couldnt close the distance on him wich was a real bummer. We judged him as well over 9 and prob close to 10 and that spoiled my dad for the rest of the hunt. Every bear after that was between 7 and 8 1/2 or so and he wanted the big one. I passed up a few bigger bears because I really wanted a blonde and after a few days into the hunt and a charge from a upset bear I got what I wanted. We had a few bears and one wolve come into the carcas and get a few bites before they were ran off by eagles (**** eagles are awfully balsy). We had a little bear scare the crap out of us from about 5 yards as we watched the carcas, we scared him just as much though so there were no hard feelings. All in all it was a great hunt with my dad and I got my first brownie, no complaints from either of us great experience
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Good job

Good lookin bear! Glad you guys had a good hunt. Even though your dad didn't score i'm sure he had a great experience. i'll try and shoot you an e-mail with the of the rest of the pics here in the next few days. How about some more info, like what day did you take it, hide size, skull size, what did you shoot it with?
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Great bear man, sounds like an awesome trip, especially with getting within 5 yards of a brownie! Glad you had fun with your Dad, that's a great looking bear and an awesome trophy.

OK, time for more details - tell us about the sighting and stalk, what you shot him with and how many times, how far away was he, and what the weather was like on the day you shot him!

Default rest of the story

I was about 2 miles from camp in a nice calm cove where lots have bears had been feeding, we had saw 3 diferent bears in that spot earlier that day but nothing that we wanted to take. I walked to the edge of this cliff where I could see down into the cove and as soon as I saw it was a nice blonde I knew that I wanted to take it. The wind wasnt right so I had to hike about a mile or so on a ridge around the other side of the bear and then drop down through some real thick alders to get on the beach with the bear. Once I dropped down onto the beach it was about 100 yds away, after a quick look to see if it was what I wanted (this is where it started hailing). I let my ole winchester 300 WSM sing (200g barnes X bullets), the first shot was in the shoulder and it dropped right where it was standing, but then it started to get back up so I put another one into the chest and that was all she wrote (it was the 14th around 4:30pm when I pulled the trigger). I went and checked the bear out and then started back towards camp (and to find my dad who was 2-3 miles on the other side of camp) lots of hiking needless to say. When we got back to the bear there was another bear in the same cove it was a really nice bear but the tide was comming in and we had alot of work to do. After we got in skinned and on the pack ready to go there was another bear in the cove, we had to run him off because it was getting dark and he was on the same trail we had to be on. Lots of bears and a great hunt

Thumbs up

Looks like you are holding a Ruger in the picture instead of a winchester?

Great looking Bear and sounds like a great time.

yea that is my dads ruger, I dropped my gun off at camp when I went back for the pack and gear to skin the bear. Good observation

Tex Hunter,

I shoot a Winchester M70 300 WSM also so I have an eye for them. I'm glad to here the 300 WSM did the job. I never got the chance to try my combo on a Brown before I had to move out of State. But I knew it would with a good quality bullet and proper shot placement.

Were you shooting handloads or factory? Did you recover the bullet's?

thanks
    md

I hand load for just about everything. I was shooting 200g Barnes X Bullets and Hogdon 4831 powder, great combo for brownies and moose, I have also shot black bear and caribou with that same load (works everytime). I didnt recover the bullets, they both passed through (which I was happy about).

Default nice bear man

Good for you.

Thumbs up

That sounds like a great combination for you. You ever shoot those through a Chrony to check the velocity? I shoot 180 Hornady Interbonds with R-19 and that works well for me.