Thread: Depth finder through .250 Al

Default Depth finder through .250 Al

I cut off a piece of 4" plastic pipe about 3" and siliconed it to the bottom (.250) of my new HCM and stuck in a old broken sender added water and a small bag of sand to keep the sender from flopping around and went to the river this week end and the depth finder portion of my Garmin 188C worked like a champ! The max depth of the river I run is 35ft it is glacier feed (looks like coffee with lots of cream) and full of trash. No more broken or kicked up senders for me! I didn't take a picture because I will now get the proper epoxy and make it permanent in the future. I don't know what it would do the sensitivity or max depth in the ocean or do I care. My alarm is set at 2ft as a gentle reminder to grab hold of something and pray.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

I'd sure like to know how it works out for you. My transducer is just about broken off and it would be great to have a fix that wouldn't include buying a new one.

I'd love to see some photos of this. Sounds like the ticket if it would work in my Wooldridge.

I don't have any pictures, I had to remove the benches and back floorboards to install it permanently and didn't have a camera with me. I got the idea from http://www.vexilar.com/pages/accesso...ducers_au.html
    The temporary install was in an area I could get to with no trouble.

The prices at http://www.vexilar.com/pages/accesso...ducers_au.html
    are outrageous, as long as your original transducer is still working you can make a dam around it and fill it with epoxy to make up for the curvature of the bottom of it(the transducer). I used their epoxy because it would be a major pia if the regular stuff didn't work.

Default Fiberglass

I doubt this works with fiberglass does it? It would solve a huge problem. I remounted my transducer about 1/4 " lower and will retry. At about 20kts it kicks out.

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    I doubt this works with fiberglass does it? It would solve a huge problem. I remounted my transducer about 1/4 " lower and will retry. At about 20kts it kicks out.
    Just make sure there is nothing ahead of the transducer that will generate bubbles. If it wont work where it is suppose to be mounted it for sure won't work in the boat.

Default I dont think so...

Quote Originally Posted by Cakayaq View Post
    I'd love to see some photos of this. Sounds like the ticket if it would work in my Wooldridge.
    I dont think these are approved for Wooldridges are they?

Seriously, it sounds like a great idea, I may just give it a shot in my pumpkin now that you've shown me the way! Thanks, Chris

Chris, knowing how you drive, you should try the plastic pipe with water trick first to make sure it is not on a rock dent or inline with one. It won't work on the aluminum-steel sandwich hull.

Default What dents!!!!

You know me, I drive em slow and careful! (Besides, that T-1 is still straight as an arrow!)

If you do see Al Gore I'll pay for the bullets!