Thread: Looking for input on Leica Geovids?

Default Looking for input on Leica Geovids?

Upgrading my laser range finder and binos. Seriously considering a Leica 8x42 Geovid. The other option I am looking at is separate Leica items CRF 1200 and Ultravid 8x42HD. Soliciting pros and cons with the combo compared to going with separate units. Would appreciate any real world experience with these items. I have compared total weights 33.5oz Geovid vs. 35.7oz (both). Yes, 2oz does make a difference to me in the overall scheme. The money difference is not an issue. Primary concern is dependability under austere field conditions. I have already settled on Leica brand and size, no others are in the running. Thanks.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

TS

I have the CRF1200 and the 8x42 Ultravids. The biggest downfall to me of the Geovids is that I bow hunt and though I need to range things quickly which the compact CRF1200 does exceptionally well, I dont need 35oz binos hanging around my neck while bowhunting. So having the option of using the pair seperately works better for me. Both products are as good as it gets IMO.

Default Good Point

The excess weight hanging from your neck is definitely one of the negatives with the Geovids, that briefly entered the sight picture. Thanks, I need to study that aspect a little closer. The ability to range while spotting without pulling out another piece of kit, minimizing gear, and attempting to cut total weight were the reasons I was considering the combined system. I agree on Leica as preferred premium optic and will be ordering another spotter: one of the new APO Televids (probably from Doug) as he has been most responsive to some concerns on an S&B tac scope and I know that any transaction would be smooth as silk) soon as I decide the LRF/Bino issue. I am replacing like Leopold items which are fine for what they are IMHO, but just aren't what I want. I will have these listed FS in near future. Anyone with additional input?

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Default Geovids

Got em, love em. I have used them for a couple of years, and yes they are heavier than my Zeiss classic glass. The big advantage is you only have to carry one piece of glass and can get an instant yardage reading. This has also helped me range things with the naked eye, which is an additional benefit you do not realize till you have a pair. They seem to be very durable, with no issues, other than weight.

Default +1 Hemlock

I have the Geovid 10X42's--wouldn't trade them for anything...and I'm an ultralight nut.

I use the Crooked Horn Outfitters slide and flex shoulder stap and the added weight is no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    I have the Geovid 10X42's--wouldn't trade them for anything...and I'm an ultralight nut.

I use the Crooked Horn Outfitters slide and flex shoulder stap and the added weight is no problem.
    Same setup except my shoulder strap is from Leica. My toothbrush has a 3/4 of a handle sawed off

I was contemplating on getting two separate units but at the end of the day I felt that Geovid would serve my needs better. One of the main reasons being the speed of utilization: spot + measure = 3-4 seconds vs. binos/range finder combo which will take longer when you don't have the time.

I guess it would depend on what you are hunting in my opinion. With the individual items if the bino's break you still have a 7x monocular in the CRF, yet if the Geo's break you are down to your rifle scope. For sheep I expect to drop my binos with my gear on final stalk and move forward with just a rifle and the tiny range finder with its premium 7x lens. I guess glassing moose it may be handy to spot and immediately know the distance however most of the places I am either hunting or glassing and wouldn't expect to see a moose so close while glassing that a stalk wouldn't be in order. Biggest thing for me is that I just wouldn't want to have to wave a big set of bino's around to verify the distance to a sheep since they can see so well. Truly a tough decision in that it is all such good gear. I have Minox HG Bino's which I love and for a finder I will be getting the CRF900 (I cant even shoot 900yds anyway...) I sure would hate to send my range finder in for service and lose my Bino's to boot. Did I mention that I wish I had your problem

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    For sheep I expect to drop my binos with my gear on final stalk and move forward with just a rifle and the tiny range finder with its premium 7x lens.

Thats basically what I was trying to describe, and its not just sheep. I spent the last week chasing Griz with my bow and once I spotted the bear and set out for the stalk I no longer need binos at all and dont carry em, I shove the CRF in my coat pocket and off I go. When the animal you seek is less than 80 yards away I need to know only one thing......exactly how far is he! Thats why I like having the 2 components seperately.

I have the 8x42 Geovids and I think they're friggin awesome. I've only used them for one caribou bowhunt, but they worked flawlessly and the quality is unbeatable. I got the Geovids because I didn't want to be carrying two units.

Default Leicas?

Yesterday, I asked Bob Hodson at Barney's Sports Chalet, Anchorage - about the Leicas they carry. Bob said that compared to other top brands, he thought Leica's color resolution was better. He also suggested trying out binoculars on an overcast day because most binoculars perform well on bright days.

Default Geovids

I've got a pair of 10x42's and though they haven't seen as much use as I'd like, I love them. One of the most significant reservations I had when purchasing them was the warranty. If you buy a pair of Ultravids they come with a lifetime warranty. Spend more $$ for a pair of Geovids and Leica will only stand behind them for 5 years.

I haven't had any problems yet, but considering what they cost I'm putting a lot of trust in the Leica name.