Thread: Deshka Update

Default Deshka Update

Hit the Deshka yesterday. We launched about 1300, the new launch is nice. Water level was good all the way down. Was expecting a parking lot, but to our surprise there was hardly anybody there. Maybe 20 boats. We anchored up in the mouth, probably 3 - 400 yds towards the mouth from Mike and Mertz's. When we pulled in, the boat closest to us had one in the net. I hooked up with a bright chrome hen (32lbs) in less than 10 casts. OOPS, forgot the net, but I played her out and got her in the boat with no problem. The water was quite clear, the sun was out, the wind very light. Couldn't of asked for a nicer day. No one else in my boat hooked up, but we saw about 6 fish caught. Beautiful day! Good luck...

Default If there is

enough current, I have caught early kings down near the mouth using a K-15. Been the only boat on the river too. It was nice.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

thanks for the report and congrats on landing your king. quick question, is it possible to take a boat to the deshka with out a jet?

Yeah its doable...I see quite a few boats come through with props on. I guess I maybe wouldn't do it alone the first time but that is just me. You will also be limited to how far up the deshka you can go but most people are just fishing the mouth anyway. Plenty of people do it including some of the large freighter boats.

props are no problem to the deshka as long as the water is not low this time of year though the water is usally good enough for a prop i've done it about 30 times never hit bottom just stay in the channel

Default Deshka - Prop

I have ran my small semi-V glorified john boat with a 25hp merc to the Deshka a number of times.
    Find the channel... stay in the channel.

Be ready to hit a sand bar or two... spooky, but recoverable. But, heck I've hit the bottom on the Kenai in the summer (not any more...I have a two stroke and can't/won't buy a new motor).

Bring an extra prop.
    I bought a prop saver (hunk of stainless steel) mounted to the lower unit; helped the prop eating.
    I can get up the Deshka a few miles... then it gets shallow. Then I stop. Watched a guy with a jet get stuck on a bar a hundred yards from where I stopped... ugly; couldn't do anything to help him. He got out eventually.

Quite do-able.
    Couple spots where the knuckles turn a nice pale shade of white.
    Watch for LOGS.
    The big sue puts really small sticks on the surface of the water... four seconds later a 60 foot tree rolls over. The small stick was an end of a limb.

Have fun!

Default Update

Well I figured this thread needed a bump so here is my report. Went to Deshka today. Arrived a little late at the mouth at around 6:45 am. Saw one fish landed about 30 min after we started fishing (on eggs). Talked to a guy trolling. He said 2 were caught before we got there. Another boat trolling also had one in the boat. Saw a guy cleaning one at the tables. Talked to him, he said he got it trolling with a k14 and herring tied to it. Later on at around 2:30 I saw another one boated (on eggs). Moved to a different spot and the boat next to me had 2 in the cooler and they also lost another (all on eggs). Saw only one King rollthe whole day. As for our boat (4 of us fishing) we didn't have any luck at all. Not even a bump. We used eggs, #6 blue fox's, mag warts. We also trolled with warts and k14's. Water is still on the low side. Aprox 40-50 boats at the mouth @ peek times. Messed around in the side sloughs up river found a few pike here and there. But we were not planning a pike adventure and did'nt have the right gear to pick on the pike. Over all a nice day to be out on the river but I'd say way more boats than fish. We fished from 6:45 AM till 3:30 PM. I'm thinking another week or two will be much better. Oh and by the way everyone I talked to who caught a fish said they are hitting VERY lightly.

Default Same Here

FSHKLR, we had the same experience yesterday. We hit the mouth about 2pm and fished until about 8:30, nothing. We were mostly pitching K-15s and one was using eggs the whole day, same, nothing. Didn't see any fish caught, it rained pretty good for a while. All good things come to those who wait...

Fished from 8:00 to 2:00 today and saw one small king caught on eggs near the mouth. Nothing else noted. We dipped eggs, and then trolled hot shots for a bit. Not much luck on the part of anyone. Maybe there were some to be caught early on. Deshka water level is really low. Saw one king roll as we left.