Thread: honda outboard's oil pressure warning

Default honda outboard's oil pressure warning

Well tried to get out this weekend. Made it as far at Whittier ramp.

Can anyone recommend someone who will work on Hondas? besdies AK M&D in Anchorage?

My oil pressure alarm is sounding when I start the motor. I think it's either the oil pressure sensor or the oil pump itself. This was after a oil filter change, and we started the motors, let them sit, checked the dip stick , added a bit more.. let it sit.. start the motors again. (etc.) but it didn't stop sounding.

akseagirl

I find it extremely difficult to believe that if it did not do this before the oil change, that it "chose" this exact moment in time to start now. I would go back and check to make sure that your oil pressure sender did not come unplugged, or is not grounded. Also, sometimes it takes a little time (as long as ten seconds) to get the oil pressure up enough to turn off the alarm so sometimes you will have to let it run for a bit before it will turn off. You probably already checked those things, but at least it is a start.

I think they sound when you first start the engine and then they shut off. At least that is the way mine works.

Mine are older (1993) 45 hp and they do it only after my annual oil change. They then never do it again under normal circumstances.

On my Honda 150 the oil pressure warning is shared with the water in the fuel bowl warning. Had water in the seperator bowl and the oil warning horn kept beeping. Might check that, I felt stupid after a phone call to the dealer. However, I was stranded on Hitchenbrook Island at time. Glad I got it worked out that would have been an expensive maintenance lesson.

Good Luck

Steve

Hey

Do you mean your racor separators. or the plastic one in the cowling?

thanks for you reply.

The one on the engine, under the cowling. The warning is a combo system is what they told me.

Steve

http://forums.iboats.com/Honda-Outboards/
    look under "Alarms" tab. May help, ....13 potential causes for alarms?

Default thanks for advice

I'm replacing the oil sensor tonight. then will try again. if not luck then to AMD to run a diagnostic.

links to iboat forum helpful.

http://www.marineengine.com/
    another good site grouped by makes of motors. Got some good techs there to ask too.