Thread: .348 use in Alaska?

Talking .348 use in Alaska?

The 30-30 thread got me thinking,...What experiences with the .348 round can you share? I have a Winchester 71, I've been loading the 200 gr Hornady, and have some 250 gr Barnes that I'm going to load. I think the 200 gr Hornady is a bit light construction for big stuff, but I may be wrong?

So, what's your thoughts/experiences. Hammer of Thor,.. it's OK, but don't push it, .. it's a poodle shooter,....?

The 1886/71 action guns shure carry nicely for a summer gun.

Thumbs up Dandy!

And old rancher friend on Kodiak has used one for at least the 35 years I've known him, and if I recall correctly, a lot of years before that. He's taken a whole bunch of brown bear with it over the years. He's always had good service from factory rounds, so anything you do better will certainly work.

My clearest image of his rifle has nothing to do with shooting. We were headed across a pasture of tall grass at full tilt, and he came on a pile of logs he didn't know about. Too late to stop he and the horse tried to jump it.

Almost made it, but the horse clipped the top of it. I was right behind and managed to stop, but I can still see that horse wreck. Fortunately for Bill, the synch broke. So here goes the horse summersaulting through the air one way. And there goes Bill another. And there goes the saddle on its own course. And over all goes his M71 end over end like it was shot from a catapult. The rifle must have gone 75 feet.

No harm, no foul. We got all the pieces collected and reassembled and went on our way. When a rifle can stand that kind of stuff, you know it's tough. Not to mention the rider and the horse.

My own 71 is one of the first 450 Alaskans built. It's more fun to shoot than anything else I own. You can't work that buttery smooth action without breaking out in smiles.

Thumbs up 348/Win71

What a nice lever gun! Yes smooooth. I agree about the 200 gr Hornady FP- just an unknown about its performance for all possibilities. I assume you're referring to the Barnes "original"- it's probably fine. Maybe the best for the velocity range of the 348 are the thick, soft jacketed offerings by Hawk bullets. They have five different 348 FP bullets- from 165 gr to 270 gr. in two different jacket thicknesses.

http://www.hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

Of all the lever guns I have owned and sold, the old Model 71 in 348 is the one I miss the most. Smooth shooting and accurate.

I hit a large deer on Kodiak with it at 150 yards and it sounded like somebuddy slapped a fat lady on the rump with a wet canoe paddle.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default 348

Well;
    I have a 71 sittin' right here. I haven't hunted it, but Grandad had a guide outfit at the foot of the Matanuska Glacier and he used it exclusively. That was way back in the dark ages, 50's? I have only shot it for recreation, sorry. But have listened to many stories of it's fame within our family. It has taken more than it's share of Moose and Bear. I wouldn't hesitate to put it out first string. Yeah, fine rifle, still shoots great and I suppose I should hunt it in honor of it's original owner, but have been protective of it.
    Mark

Default Hawks

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    What a nice lever gun! Yes smooooth. I agree about the 200 gr Hornady FP- just an unknown about its performance for all possibilities. I assume you're referring to the Barnes "original"- it's probably fine. Maybe the best for the velocity range of the 348 are the thick, soft jacketed offerings by Hawk bullets. They have five different 348 FP bullets- from 165 gr to 270 gr. in two different jacket thicknesses.

http://www.hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm
    Good point, George. I've used them in other calibers, and at the velocity range of the 348 they should be outstanding. I've only ever recovered one from game, and it looked like one of the bonded varieties, that thick jacket held together so well. My rancher friend started out on the 250's and went to 200's when he couldn't get them any more. Said he never had problems with the 200's, but somehow felt better about shooting with the 250.