Thread: Looking for blackies

Question Looking for blackies

We went black bear hunting out of Whittier about 10 days ago and got rained out, but on the last day finally got to take the boat to Cullross Pass, didn't see any and on the way back to Whittier, there was a bear snooping around at the cabin we were staying at on Decision point. We couldn' get the boat around fast enough and he saw us and bolted...

Anyways, we were thinking of taking the four wheelers up to Cooper Lake around the 1st week of June and doing some spotting/glassing. Either that or the boat. First of all, does anyone know if the ice is out up in that area? I heard there were quite a few bears up on the back side by all the blueberry patches....Second, we were wondering if anyone is having any luck get and blackies yet....
    Anyways, anyone replies, thanks.....Alaskalarry

There are indeed pretty good numbers of black bears up by Cooper Lake. I'm not sure, though, if there is much legal ATV riding to be had in the area. I don't recall seeing any ATV trails there, but I could be wrong.

Thumbs up blackies at cooper lake

We will have to check on that.(no four wheelers) I guess we could go down with my boat, if there is a place to launch....Thanks for the heads up......

I would bet that the ice won't be gone until sometime in June. We saw 1 huge black bear last fall on the other side of the lake but we had no way to get across. Also saw a few more while driving back down Snug Harbor road.

Default Cooper Lake

I was down that direction yesterday and we couldnt even make it to the cooper lake because of snow. Im betting that the lake is still frozen. As for a boat launch most people just throw it in where the trail goes down to the beach. No official launch that I know of but if you have 4x4 and a small boat its doable.

Lots of guys baiting off the snug harbor road this year. Be careful if you decide to walk down a trail because some guys are setting up right on the trails and a couple of brownies in the area.