Thread: Stainless Steel Gun Cleaning?

Default Stainless Steel Gun Cleaning?

I just bought my first Stainless steel Revolver not too long ago (S&W 460v) I finally got to shot it this past weekend.. I have many other blued guns but I have never owned a stainless steel gun. Are there any dfferences in cleaning products when cleaning a stainless gun vs. a blue gun? What products are the best for cleaning stainless guns?

Thanks
    Jeff

I'm no expert, but when the carbon staining gets built up around the cylinder and barrel of my Redhawk in stainless, I use a little Flitz metal polish on a cloth and it comes right off.
    For cleaning the barrel, I use the standard cleaning solvents, lead remover etc.

Mountaintrekker

Default yup

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    I'm no expert, but when the carbon staining gets built up around the cylinder and barrel of my Redhawk in stainless, I use a little Flitz metal polish on a cloth and it comes right off.
    For cleaning the barrel, I use the standard cleaning solvents, lead remover etc.

Mountaintrekker
    Yup, mostly the same stuff. I use a lubricant from RIG designed specifically for stainless when I completely dismantle the guns for an action job and for annual maintenance, but most guys don't dig that far into the guts of a revolver. On the outside, any of the good solvents and oils will do the job.

One word of caution: Stainless steel DOES rust, but just slower than blued. You can't abuse it and let it go without care, especially around saltwater. If you do get rust you can gently polish it out with fine steelwool, and if you go about it right you can hardly tell it's been buffed. Just be sure to use STAINLESS steelwool, because the regular stuff will imbed tiny particles of plain steel into your stainless and subsequently rust as easy as bare steel.

Thanks for the responses.. I just wanted to make sure that there wasnt a "do's and dont's" list when cleaning stainless steel guns. Was worried about using the wrong cleaning products and screwing up the gun...

Thanks
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by MICHoutdoors View Post
    I just bought my first Stainless steel Revolver not too long ago (S&W 460v) I finally got to shot it this past weekend.
    What are your first impressions? What ammo did you shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by mve View Post
    What are your first impressions? What ammo did you shoot?

Mve,

I love the gun... it is a monster though. The recoil isnt as bad as I thought. The concussive blast from the muzzle is quite impressive and it is VERY loud. I double up with plugs and muffs. My brother was sitting a bench behind me while I was shooting. When I got done with the first few rounds I stopped and looked back at him with a huge smile on my face as he yelled "that thing is shaking the concrete walk!!!" I reloaded, gave him another grin, and continued to shoot through the box of 20. I bought Hornady 200gr rounds for my first time at the range. Next time (Probably this weekend) I will try something alittle heavier. Suggestions?

Jeff

I bought Hornady 200gr rounds for my first time at the range. Next time (Probably this weekend) I will try something alittle heavier. Suggestions?
    Sounds like you had a lot of fun with the Hornady 200g! I heard those are a league of their own -- missiles! I went the other route on my first outing -- opting for the heavy stuff because we have to leave for AK in 4 weeks I wanted to familiarize with what I would be carrying -- here's a video and the type of ammo I used:

http://www.ttljournal.com/shooting-SW-460V.php

I do want to try the Hornady, hopefully next time!

MVE...
    Cant seem to watch your video.. I noticed that you have posted a couple other videos on other threads and I cant seem to get them to work. I can gtet to the website but just get a black box where the video is sopposed to be. Any suggestions?

Jeff

It's on its way to youtube now -- I'll post a link once it's done uploading.
    here it is on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFHD9IY6Czk
    Last edited by mve; 05-29-2008 at 09:41. Reason: posted the link

Nice Video... Looks like you were having some fun there. I am anxious to try some .454 loads and colt 45's... Also, as I said, I need to get some of the heavier loads too. Did you Mail order the Corbon ammo? The only thing I can find around here (Michigan) is the 200gr hornady loads. I think I am going to head to the range this weekend and do some shootin..

Thanks
    Jeff

I ordered all of the ammo from midwayusa.com. Right now they are out of the heavy stuff in 460 but they still have the 454's Cor-Bon.

I am anxious to try some .454 loads and colt 45's...
    You are going to like those .454's -- the weight of this gun makes them very manageable ... For this trip that's what I am bringing -- Cor-Bon 454 Casull 360 Grain Flat Nose Penetrator. 454 has done the job for many years and I feel confident I can squeeze them off faster and more accurately than the heavy stuff in the 460 (at this time).