Thread: What's a prawn?

Default What's a prawn?

Seems like a silly question; I always thought it was a big shrimp, but a co-worker insists that prawns are from freshwater (and can be any size) and shrimp are from saltwater.
    Do you think there's a distinction between shrimp and prawns? If so, what is it?

Default Prawn

These are prawn or spotted shrimp. And they are from salt water.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=29399

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Those things look beautifully delicious, Dave! How do you cook ones that big?
    So you're saying a prawn is a big shrimp? Or is it species specific?

Mark

Default I Didn't Know This, Either............

Shrimp:

True shrimp are swimming, decapod crustaceans classified in the infraorder Caridea, found widely around the world in both fresh and salt water. Together with prawns, they are widely caught and farmed for human consumption.......

......Distinction from prawns
    While in biological terms prawns are of a distinct biological suborder of Decapoda, in commercial farming and fishery the terms shrimp and prawn are often used interchangeably. In European countries, particularly the United Kingdom, the word “prawns” is more commonly on menus than the term “shrimp”, which is used more often in North America. The term “prawn” is also loosely used to describe any large shrimp, especially those that come 15 (or fewer) to the pound (also called “jumbo shrimp”). Australia and other Commonwealth countries follow this European/British use to an even greater extent, using the word “prawn” almost exclusively. Paul Hogan’s use of the phrase “I'll slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for you” in a television advertisement was intended to make what he was saying easier for his American audience to understand, and was thus a deliberate distortion of what an Australian would typically say......
    Prawns:

Prawns are crustaceans, belonging to the sub-order Dendrobranchiata [1]. They are similar in appearance to shrimp, but can be distinguished by the gill structure which is branching in prawns (hence the name, dendro=“tree”; branchia=“gill”), but is lamellar in shrimp. The sister taxon to Dendrobranchiata is Pleocyemata, which contains all the true shrimp, crabs, lobsters, etc.......

Oh man, I need a biologist interpreter to walk me through that...
    Do I understand prawns to be in their own category, different from shrimp, based on gill structure? That would explain there not being much of a practical diffference.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
    .....Do I understand prawns to be in their own category, different from shrimp, based on gill structure? That would explain there not being much of a practical diffference.
    That certainly explains why we interchange the names without knowing the difference. Who looks at the gills, or knows what "lamellar" is?

Lamella:

laˇmelˇla Audio Help (lə-měl'ə) Pronunciation Key
    n. pl. laˇmelˇlae (-měl'ē') or laˇmelˇlas
    A thin scale, plate, or layer of bone or tissue, as in the gills of a bivalve mollusk or around the minute vascular canals in bone.

Default So, Mr. Mark,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That certainly explains why we interchange the names without knowing the difference. Who looks at the gills, or knows what "lamellar" is?

Lamella:
    Then what in God's name is this???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wink

Looks like a shrimp/king crab hybrid. A "shing". Or a "shab". Possibly a "shingab".
    What's it taste like?

Squat Lobster...

Ever seen a box crab?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark
    So, Mr. Mark,

Then what in God's name is this???
    I don't know yet.

Show me a photo of his lamella.............

(I haven't a clue; I caught one of those myself once, as well as something similar, but with one large claw and one tiny one............)