Thread: 44 Mag Bear Stopping Ammo????

Default 44 Mag Bear Stopping Ammo????

I am a new resident of Alaska and recently bought a 44 mag. I am a pilot and will be visiting the grizzly locations more than a few times this summer. I was curious if anyone could help with what would be the best ammo for stopping a big bear. I am new to the handgun scene and dont know much besides what the guy at the gun store says. And of course he wants to sell me the most expensive ammo. Just want to get whatever will work best. Thanks for the help.

Chris

Default 44 Mag Ammo for Bear

Quote Originally Posted by champilot38 View Post
    I am a new resident of Alaska and recently bought a 44 mag. I am a pilot and will be visiting the grizzly locations more than a few times this summer. I was curious if anyone could help with what would be the best ammo for stopping a big bear. I am new to the handgun scene and dont know much besides what the guy at the gun store says. And of course he wants to sell me the most expensive ammo. Just want to get whatever will work best. Thanks for the help.

Chris
    Chris, welcome to Alaska and welcome to the forum.

Believe only half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for the internet.

That said, heavier, non-expanding solid bullets will penetrate to a bear's vitals or shoulder bone better than an expanding bullet.

As far as price goes, isn't that a non-issue? You will only need a dozen for carry and another dozen to verify your tolerance for recoil and establish point of impact. Other than that, practice with light loads and practice some more.

Study bear behaviour. It would not do to shoot a bear just because you misinterpret a false charge. Also, understanding bear behaviour makes it easier to avoid close encounters in the first place.

In the past year, there have been probably 30 or 40 threads discussing ammo for bear defense as well as for hunting. The most recent is
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=31652.

Every different thread to which I go teaches me a little bit more.

Since I know little of your history or skills levels I will say no more now.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

I'll simply tell you what I carry in my 44 mag.
    320 gr hardcast & 1300+ fps. I want something that penetrates deep to get to the central nervous system. Federal's 300gr "Castcore" are a good over the counter load at a reasonable price.

Another good & relevant recent thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=31049
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Money is no object

Vance,
    No money is not the issue but I think the guy at the gun store was trying to sell me the most expensive ammo rather than the ammo that I needed.

Default Cor-Bon 305 grain

Probably the more available bear load will be the Cor-Bon 305 grain hardcast loads. They'll work fine if you do your part. Avoid any hollowpoint type bullet loads, even the heavier weights.