Thread: Sealskinz socks

Default Sealskinz socks

After doing some online research, I bought a pair of Sealskinz waterblocker socks. Has anyone ever used them? They are supposed to be waterproof, even with the top of the sock going underwater for a short period. Any input on performance or durability is appreciated. I will be testing mine in the tub, I guess.

They Are Awesome, I Have 10 Pairs Even When I Am Soaked My Feet Are Dry.....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

I used both sealskinz sock liners and glove liners while ocean sailboat racing Newport, RI to Bermuda.
    I highly recommend them, however boneyardbaits might be on to something...
    I only had two pairs and they didn't always dry in time for my next watch during four awesome nights at sea.

Your sport may vary.
    'Happy Bathing!'
    Doc

Default Sealskinz v Goretex?

Glad you posted this. I was looking at Sealskinz, thinking of using them for Fall steelhead fishing. Sounds like they work very well.

I picked up a pair of Goretex socks and look forward to trying them. Wonder if anyone has compared the two? Thanks again.

Sealskinz are awful in my opinion. You're guaranteed to be clammy and cold because they don't breathe. I bought some and tried to use them but had the same disappointing results every time. Mine went in the trash.

I have heard the same thing that Mr Pic posted about the Sealskinz socks and gloves . You hands won't get wet from rain or other water sources but they will get wet from sweating.

Sealskinz Waterblockers are supposed to be breathable as well as waterproof. There unique forte is being able to stop water from coming in over the top as well as through the fabric. I just bought a pair, but haven't tried them. Just looking at the top seal, I can't see how that wrinkled plastic band will stop water from seeping down into my feet. I've read some complaints on the net from reviewers with less than satisfactory results. Still, no one complained about them not breathing well, or not being comfortable. We'll see.

Default gortex vs sealskinz

I have used and like both. I like the gortex liners when it is warmer out, they breath better but are not as flexible or comfertable as the seal skinz which I have found better for walking longer distances and not causing blisters. Both will get water in them over the top if submurged for longer than a dip. The seal skinz take a longer dry out if you get water in them.

Default Seal Skinz

Hi All, I like the sealskinz when I'm working on the boat as they act like wet suit boots. The Extra-tuffs get wet inside from sweat and don't dry too well and the skins keep you warm. My feet sweat too much walking for them as they seem to soften the skin from being wet inside and cause blisters. Everybodys feet are diferent thou.

Oh I Forgot To Mention That.....sweat My Feet Also Do That Too They Are Not For Walking Around In, After The Boat Work They Come Off Or I Would Have Feet That Would Make Freddy Krueger Blush:d
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

You put a pair of wool socks under your sealskinz and you will stay toasty and DRY. I stopped using rubber boots when I discovered them, never had a wet foot since, even tromping throught the muskeg all day. I learned after ruining many pairs that they should not be dried in the dryer. They never were waterproof again. Maybe they improved them since I last bought them, but if I just treat them like a wet suit, hose it down and line dry, they have lasted 5 years and not had to replace them.

Default Report on Sealskinz Water Blockers

The Waterblockers are not like the regular Sealskinz. They have a gasket like material above the regular sock material. It's supposed to keep your feet dry even if you go over the top. They are also reathable. I gave them a try, and they worked, sort of.

I used them inside a pair of neoprene rafting/kayaking boots, so breathability was a non-issue for me. No sock will breath inside waterproof closed cell neoprene boots. I was in & out of water for about 6 hours, and over the top of the socks quite a bit. My feet were very damp at the end of the day, but not soaked. This might have been from perspiration, but I suspect some leakage through the top seal. However, my feet were never the least bit cold, and this is not my usual experience with these boots. They were also comfortable.

At $40 a pair, they were far from cheap, but I'm keeping them. They are the best thing I've tried, short of a drysuit.

Default good while they last, but don't last too long

The waterblockers worked well for me for about a year, but now they're just another pair of neoprene socks. The gasket material was nice while it lasted, but it didn't seem built to last. I'm on the fence about whether or not it's worth buying another pair at $40, and I'm leaning towards no. While the waterblocking part worked they were excellent for rafting in cold water, though.

Default Chilblockers

I bought 4 pairs, 2 for the wife and 2 for me as we like to kayak. I used and cleaned them according the manufacturer's directions and hand washed them. The second time using pair number one I noticed that one was leaking. Upon examination I found the inside seam was seperating on the same pair. Pair number 2 has yet to sperate and my wifes has not sperated. I think I got a lemon pair of socks. I have e-mailed the company, Danalco and have yet to get a response. I like them though. They do stay warm and the only time I notice any kind of moisture from sweating is when taking them off.

Default customer service update

Well I waited 5 days and had yet to hear from anyone from the company, for a moment there I thought maybe they had gone belly up. So I went to the website and sent a notice to Sam in Sales and marketing and believe it or not I got a reply in less than a half hour and he is willing to make things right. I must say this is a great company to deal with especially one that stands behind their products.

Default Sealskins

I bought a pair for a hike this past spring out to Caineshead. After walking that distance and going through the salt, my feet sayed dry and warm. Cleaned and hung in the tent that night and were dry by morning. Best value...warm dry feet, not to mention we did this hike in mid April.

Great socks, was worth every penny in my humble opinion.

FM

Default chillblocker customer service update

I would just like to say that they really pulled through. I receive a package the other day and it contained 2 pairs of chillblockers. ( I only need one pair replaced. How can you beat that???