Thread: Leaving Anything Outdoors Yet?

Question Leaving Anything Outdoors Yet?

Is anyone in North Pole leaving indoor started flowers outdoors or in an unheated greenhouse overnight yet?...My greenhouse was full last year by this time and my hanging baskets were hung but I'm hesitant this year because of the cool nights....I've got lilies and dahlias blooming in the garage, along with a cabillion seed starts...

I'd normally have the Asiatics planted out but they are not usually in varying stages of bloom for another week or so.

Wondering if anybody's been brave enough to successfuly subject their babies to night temps. My garage is beyond overflowing but the greenhouse is still around 35ish at night...The lilies and dahlias go outside during the day but get brought back in at night...That's wearing real thin real fast....What do ya think???

Barbara/Chocolatemoose

We've been leaving ours out the last few nights, we're about 200 feet above the valley floor. Our night time temps have been just a few degrees higher than your.

Default Just a couple of flowers....

Hi Barbara!!

Here at Goldhill, I only have a few flowers outside, and they are doing fine...even a dahlia! But in the past, if I am worried I have put them out with large soda bottles full of water next to them. They heat up in the day and radiate at night.

Sounds like your flowers are really crankin' this year! They sound beautiful!

Gina

Up here, quite a ways north of Fairbanks we still have very cold nights (last night in the upper 20's). The forecast is for 2 more nights of cool then it looks like we will warm up for good. I will wait to plant the garden and the greenhouse until next week just to be sure. So for now the plants go out during the day and in at night. It's a pain for sure but I don't want to take a chance with my little "babies".

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Got bit last night, I woke up about 3 and saw some frost on the deck, quickly covered all of our flowers and then ran to our daughter's house to do the same as she is on a trip. Saved most of them but a few got nipped.

Oh sure! I had my tomatoes out in the greenhouse for two days and MICE decided to eat them!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Never had the mice get the tomatoes, but they sure do like the young cabbage, broc and cauliflowers. We've had way less problems ever since we got a cat Both in the garden and in the root cellar.

grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

I dont care what they eat, Im not getting a cat!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"