Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leupold scopes

Default Leupold scopes

I just ordered a new Leupold 1.5-5 with the illuminated reticle for my .458 Lott...does anyone have one? How long will the batteries last? I'm thinking it will work good here in SE with as dark as the woods are.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I have a 4.5X14 with the Illuminated Duplex Reticle on one of my Encore barrels. The battery will last for several outings if you do not forget to turn it off. Also it will last longer if you do not have the reostat turned up to it's highest brightness.

I dont trust optics (or anything for that matters) that require batteries. Is the scope still usable if the batteries die? I've never had one and I'm sure it comes in handy in low light situations.

The scope is quite useable if the battery fails. The Illuminated Reticle is good for very late in the day when the light is waning or early morning . Other than that they are just like normal scopes with a few more add-ons.

Actually I have 2 Leupolds with the Illuminated Reticle. The other is a MkIV CQ/T 1X3X14 with the Circle Dot reticle that illuminates mounted on my Bushmaster.

Allen: Do you like the Circle Dot? That's what I ordered, but I've never used one before; it just looked like it should work well. I expect this to be a 100 yd. (max.) rifle and will probably use it as a backup. Normally, I use a .375 H&H with a 1.5-5 and duplex reticle, so the circle/dot will be a change for me.

Default legal?

Is the use of a lighted reticle scope legal for the taking of big game in Alaska?

You MAY NOT take game by:

artificial light, laser sight, electronically-enhanced night vision scope........

Thumbs up Yup.

Vern,

A scope that projects light back on the user's eye is legal, provided it isn't a "night vision" scope that artificially enhances the image. A red-dot or illuminated crosshair scope is legal in Alaska.

A scope (or anything else) that projects light out onto the target is not legal.

Good on you for asking!

Default written rules of engagement

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser
    Vern,

A scope that projects light back on the user's eye is legal, provided it isn't a "night vision" scope that artificially enhances the image. A red-dot or illuminated crosshair scope is legal in Alaska.

A scope (or anything else) that projects light out onto the target is not legal.

Good on you for asking!

8X57,
    Is this information written down somewhere in the rules of engagement bible for big game hunting?

Thanks for input.

Page 15 of the current regulation booklet. "You MAY NOT take game by using a ........artificial light, laser light, electronically-enhanced night vision scope......". An illuminated reticle casts no light on the animal and I have also been specifically told by ADF&G that an illuminated reticle is allowed.

Post Regs on light

Bill F,

5 AAC 92.080. Unlawful methods of taking game; exceptions

The following methods of taking game are prohibited:
    (7) with the aid of a pit, fire, artificial light, laser sight, electronically enhanced night vision scope, radio communication, cellular or satellite telephone, artificial salt lick, explosive, expanding gas arrow, bomb, smoke, chemical (excluding scent lures), or a conventional steel trap with an inside jaw spread over nine inches, except that

(A) a rangefinders (sic) may be used;
    (D) a tracking dog handler with one leashed dog may use artificial light to aid in tracking and dispatching a wounded big game animal;

Some have read this reg to mean that anything generating light is illegal. The definitions section at 5 AAC 92.990 sheds no 'light' on the question, as it addresses neither "artificial light," "laser sight," or "electronically enhanced night vision scope."

So we're left to read the regulation itself, which differentiates laser sights and night vision scopes from "artificial light." If anything generating any artificial light were illegal, there would be no need to single out laser sights and night vision scopes: laser sights project light forward - illuminating a point on the target animal, while night vision scopes project light backward, artificially enhancing the hunter's ability to see the target.

So why did ADF&G differentiate them from other sources of light? It probably has to do with limiting the advantages technology gives to hunters (whether for ethical reasons, conservation reasons, or a desire to maximize hunting opportunities, I won't speculate.) But whatever the reason, it's a fundamental rule of reading the law that every word is there for a reason, and nothing is extra.

So the only rational reading of the reg is that scopes with illuminated crosshairs/dots aren't generally included in the 'artificial light' category. As long as they neither enhance the image of the target nor project light onto it, they're permissible.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser
    Bill F,

5 AAC 92.080. Unlawful methods of taking game; exceptions

The following methods of taking game are prohibited:
    (7) with the aid of a pit, fire, artificial light, laser sight, electronically enhanced night vision scope, radio communication, cellular or satellite telephone, artificial salt lick, explosive, expanding gas arrow, bomb, smoke, chemical (excluding scent lures), or a conventional steel trap with an inside jaw spread over nine inches, except that

(A) a rangefinders (sic) may be used;
    (D) a tracking dog handler with one leashed dog may use artificial light to aid in tracking and dispatching a wounded big game animal;

Some have read this reg to mean that anything generating light is illegal. The definitions section at 5 AAC 92.990 sheds no 'light' on the question, as it addresses neither "artificial light," "laser sight," or "electronically enhanced night vision scope."

So we're left to read the regulation itself, which differentiates laser sights and night vision scopes from "artificial light." If anything generating any artificial light were illegal, there would be no need to single out laser sights and night vision scopes: laser sights project light forward - illuminating a point on the target animal, while night vision scopes project light backward, artificially enhancing the hunter's ability to see the target.

So why did ADF&G differentiate them from other sources of light? It probably has to do with limiting the advantages technology gives to hunters (whether for ethical reasons, conservation reasons, or a desire to maximize hunting opportunities, I won't speculate.) But whatever the reason, it's a fundamental rule of reading the law that every word is there for a reason, and nothing is extra.

So the only rational reading of the reg is that scopes with illuminated crosshairs/dots aren't generally included in the 'artificial light' category. As long as they neither enhance the image of the target nor project light onto it, they're permissible.
    8x57

Some in authority are not rational. I dislike leaving myself open to their interpretation of the rules. I got a hasseled a few years back due to my optic using batteries. I was respectful and only recieved a lecture on artificial light. I still use lit reticles now and then and wish the regs were more clear. Thanks for your opinion.

Default Leupold scopes

Here's an update on trying to get a Leupold scope for my .458 Lott....I can't find the Leupold I wanted. My local dealer isn't having any luck locating one. I checked at a Bass Pro shop in Louisville, KY last week and they didn't have one, I also checked in Anchorage with no luck. The dealer in Wasilla told me that the Leupold would eventually fail due to the heavy recoil and I should go with a Swarovski or Zeiss (big bucks)....the dealer in Anchorage tried to sell me a Burris. I'm tempted to see if I can keep groups in the 2"-3" range at 100 yds. with the iron sights, but with bifocals, I don't think I can and I'm not nuts about burning up a dozen rounds at $4.50 a pop just to prove I'm right. I'd like a low power that works well in the dark woods...any ideas out there?

Default ak steve

I'd say that if this dude is telling you a Leupold will fail, then you just found a BS artist.
    I'd take my money elsewhere.

Mike, I would still try and find a 1.5x5 leupy. Mine still going strong. right now its on a very light 338winny. my 338 actually has more of a recoil than what my Lott did. No problems. Me thinks the guy in wasilla wanted to sell you some expensive glass, that I feel you do not need (unless you want to of course). way to many guys out there that have that leupy on over 40's for it not to work.

Mike I just looked at one of my distributor web sites and they have the Leupold you are looking for in stock. Well they have at least one in stock.

I have the leupold 1.5-5 illuminated german #4 dot reticle. I have it on my 6lb 375 H&H. It has held up very well. while I agree that the swarovski is a nice scope for the money I will take the leupold every time. Even if it did evetually take a crap on you they will give you a new one. I'd trust it over a burris any time.

Mike,

That dealer was trying to sell you a load of b*. From my experience you will have no trouble with the Leupold, I have them on my 375H&H and my 458wm and have for years with no trouble whatsoever and these rifles have seen their share of shooting.

I will be replacing them though with Zeiss Conquest as I bought one 2 years ago for my 280rem and with the etched reticle and better glass it has really made a difference in my shooting accuracy.

Doug

SE Mike said: The dealer in Wasilla told me that the Leupold would eventually fail due to the heavy recoil and I should go with a Swarovski or Zeiss (big bucks)....the dealer in Anchorage tried to sell me a Burris.

I agree with AK Steve, Mike. That was a good honesty test for your dealer, and he failed miserably.

My 1.5x5 Leupold (conventional reticle) has been around a long time spent its life on a succession of heavy recoilers including a light 375 H&H, a 458 Winnie, a 460 Weatherby. It's currently on a 6-pound 54 caliber muzzleloader that kicks so hard I'm checkering the forend to keep it from popping out of my hand when I shoot. It dented my head real good the first time I shot the little 54, but even that didn't hurt it.

In almost 40 years of using Leupold scopes, I've had exactly one fail. Leupold had it back to me in less than a week.

Tell the dealer byebye and never darken his door again.

Default Leupold

Great Northern Guns in Anchorage has a great selection of Leupold scopes, including the illuminated reticle models and the 30mm Euro models AND at very low prices. You might check them out or give them a call.

Default Luepolds fail?!

Mike,

I'll add my remarks to these knowledgable shooters.
    I've had Leupolds 1.5-5 x20 on rifles since about 1990, I now have three of them. They are on 375 H&H, 375 JRS and 450 Ackley. I just ordered another with the #4 reticle for my 404 Dakota. These scopes have been moved around and used as test scopes on at least a dozen different calibers from 338 Wm up to 470 Capstick. Oh, yeah, they're just shot to pieces!! (Not!)Actually never ever had a hitch. That's why I ordered another one.

I have Swarovski, Kahles and Ziess, also. Good stuff, for sure, but not mechanically superior to the American Leupolds.

I've had minor failures with Leupolds over the years but they were alwasy quickly repaired or replaced when shipped back to Oregon.

I have no experience with the illuminated reticles, and that is another thing that can fail, but wouldn't render the scope inoperative. I don't know how that would be more likely to fail under heavy recoil. Your dealer was trying to sell Swarovski. I have an old 1.5-4.5 x20 (1") that has been around the Horn and is still good, also. Your dealer was blowin' smoke.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast