Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Saver - Seal a meal - Freeze my fish!

Default Food Saver - Seal a meal - Freeze my fish!

This question was asked in the 'pantry' forum but I figure you guys/gals would give me the answer Im looking for.

I was at Fred Meyers today and I was looking at those vacuum sealing machines to store food. Only fish in my case.

I was just wondering what some of you are using in order to vacuum seal your catch?

I saw one for $40 and I saw one for $300. If the $40 gets the job done, then thats what Im getting! This isnt the type of purchase that is easy to 'research'.
    Not many forums on vacuum sealers like there are on lets say...fishing.

If the only thing a $300 sealer gives me is longevity, then I dont need it. I will only be using it for 2-3 months, then probably giving it to the neighbor here or maybe someone on the forum.

thanks
    JOnathan

Just make sure you give it ample time to cool between each heat-sealing cycle.

That's the surest way to burn out one of those cheaper vac-pack units.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Just make sure you give it ample time to cool between each heat-sealing cycle.

That's the surest way to burn out one of those cheaper vac-pack units.
    At the speed that I fillet fish, I dont think Im gonna have problems with that .

Im so slow, that my fingers actually get wrinkled like when I was a kid and I would swim for too long.

Thanks for the advice though. If that keeps my machine going for the whole 3 months, Ill make sure to wait between each 'seal'.

Do you think there is much difference in the bag quality? Ill look that up when I go back tomorrow. I guess that would make a big difference as well.

Default sealer soda

how long you gona be in ak stay on this thread now an chat

Quote Originally Posted by ripndrag View Post
    how long you gona be in ak
    As of now, Im leaving on the 2nd of August.

But right now, its almost 10pm and the sun is shinning just as bright as it was at 5pm.

Things like this might convince me to stay until the end of august... that and the silver run .

Why do you ask?

Default aaaaaa

cool so are you working or just fishing

Default if you dip

dip youre filets in a sugar watter mixture before you seal them they will keep longer also make sure the bag is dry where you sill it use paper towels

Default jumpin in

Hey guys...jumpin in on the vac sealer....

Officially Im here for work. But my boss is my girlfriend. .

We decided to find some work in Anchorage because Ive been talking about it for 3 years. I saw this silly fishing show where the dudes were actually upset because they kept catching yellow eyes and lings "Where are those $&)@&# halibut!!!".

I laughed so hard because I thought to myself: "I wish I had their problems''

Anyways, yeah, we're lucky enough that we get to travel for work. Like many other people on this forum Im guessing.

Definitely pause between each seal. Also, the bag makes a HUGE difference. Go to Alaska Butcher Supply, and pick up their commercial grade bags. Also, after you pat the fillet down with a paper towel, I wrap it in SaranWrap....which has increased the freezer life about 3 fold, and keeps the fish/meat in much better shape over the freezer life.

Default kayak

hey bud hows it goin did you go kayak fishin this weekend

nope....sold it last fall to help get me through being 'downsized'...

Will pick up another though....now I am in to rafting...

Going to the Little Su on Wed huntin' kings, then out to PWS to chase hbut and blackies....

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    Definitely pause between each seal. Also, the bag makes a HUGE difference. Go to Alaska Butcher Supply, and pick up their commercial grade bags. Also, after you pat the fillet down with a paper towel, I wrap it in SaranWrap....which has increased the freezer life about 3 fold, and keeps the fish/meat in much better shape over the freezer life.
    Good info.
    Let me make sure Ive got it right though.

1) Buy commercial grade bags, but can I use them with a 'cheaper' model vacuum sealer?

2) Wrap the fillets with saran wrap, keep them wrapped in the saran wrap and put them in the bag, then seal?

Default halibut

I have a halibut trip booked on the 21st of july the boat has 1 more spot if either of you want to go its in homer

Soda, what kind of work brings the two of you up here?

nope....sold it last fall to help get me through being 'downsized'...

Will pick up another though....now I am in to rafting...

Going to the Little Su on Wed huntin' kings, then out to PWS to chase hbut and blackies....
    This thread is all over the place. But its good.

When you say you're going to PWS to chase hbut and blackies...do you mean from your kayak?
    If so, do you do guided trips for novices like myself? Id love to try that. Ive got a trip lined up for July 3rd but if I can do it before as well that would be cool.

Default Tempting...

I am headed out this coming weekend, then out of Seward on 6 June....I am expecting to come back with maybe 150 pounds of fish from this coming weekend alone....if I go out anymore, I may have to buy another freezer! I know.....waaaaggh!

Soda, what kind of work brings the two of you up here?

My girlfriend and I promote for day spas and hair salons. You would never believe it if you saw (smelled) me while Im fishing. But yes, as silly as it may sound on a fishing forum, I do promotional work, for the beauty industry .

Allows me to travel, and it keeps us both happy because we make our own decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    This thread is all over the place. But its good.

When you say you're going to PWS to chase hbut and blackies...do you mean from your kayak?
    If so, do you do guided trips for novices like myself? Id love to try that. Ive got a trip lined up for July 3rd but if I can do it before as well that would be cool.
    Uhh, no. I am flying out to Chenega Bay; which is way out by Montague Island. No way I would paddle that. Nor would I attempt to catch a hbut from one....I have had 5 Salmon Sharks swimming around my kayak before....couldn't imagine trying to haul up a halibut then having a Salmon Shark grab hold and pull me all over the place!

Default fish

you guys get to be in ak all summer lucky.....soda pm ne if you have a place to send the sinker you should be on fish creek now fishin if the tide is rite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast