Thread: How many shrimp is a "good" day

Default How many shrimp is a "good" day

We were first timers at shrimping. We bought 2 pots and all the gear for the both of them. We were checking them every 12 hours and pulling in between 40-50 shrimp in each pot every 12 hours. We stayed out for 4 days so we have a bunch. Is this normal or should we be catching more or less? also we were told to fish between 400 and 450 ft which we did but I was hauling my gear by hand... You can only imagine. We also caught a bunch a halibut a couple 40s and an 80 in less than 100 feet of water. We went out quite a ways but I think we did ok but I would like to hear what you gents have to say...We where out of whittier, Thanks again,,

I have never counted individual shrimp before. I longline 5 pots at a time and am disappointed if I get less than 5 gallons per soak. My best was 20 gallons over night. Some guys do better. Man I sure love those little critters!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default just wondering

when you guys are stating gallons are these just tails or whole shrimp?

as for your question dube, if you got 400 shrimp and an 80 pound butt and some 40s AND got to spend 4 days out of whittier then id say you had a great trip.

Default congrats!

You did good- shrimping and fishing. consistisnently finding fish has been challenging for me - but can always get shrimp, but not always fifty per pot.

what kind of structure were you fishing?

Default Fishing for compliments too?

Or are you just rubbing it in? Nice work Dube! So did you see any bear?

That is an absolutely successful trip out of Whittier. That many shrimp per pot is maybe just a tad above average, but WAY above average for a beginner in PWS. As for halibut, catching multiple fish anywhere in the Sound is tough, so it sounds like you're just doing great all around. Congrats!

Default Name change?

Akdube should name his boat "The Midas Touch". What a success story!

No bears at all. No sign no poop no tracks no bears on the hill sides. To much snow still probably close to 4 feet in the woods still. We found some steep valleys under water that went from 250 to 460 back to 250 and we set there for shrimp. Yeah the weather was great until the ride back to whittier on monday...thanks again for the responses what a great forum we have here

On a 4 hour soak if I can get 50 in a pot I think I'm doing good. Best ever was 400 in 3 pots 4 hour soak.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Sounds like you had an awsome trip!! Who can argue with shrimp and some nice halibut?

Thats a great trip! If you can get 50 shrimp per pot then you are doing great! Some trips we hope to get 150 total (5 pots) on a day soak while fishing.

We went out on two trips in the last two weeks for a total of 6 days. We got three bears and 4300 Shrimp (thats allot of head poping). No Halibut though and not for trying, we spent about a day and a half doing nothing but fishing three different holes for Halibut. I really need to find some new spots apparently, old ones drying up....
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Sounds like you had a good trip to me. The wife and I didn't fare quite as well this past weekend. Two halibut (12# @~180ft and 30# @~300ft), a nice yelloweye, one other rockfish, and about 3 dozen shrimp from two pots on two 12+ hr soaks. But, even though the weather was a little sketchy on the way out saturday morning and worse on the way back monday night, we still had a great time on the water.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!