Thread: Made a powder scoop

Default Made a powder scoop

I made a powder scoop today (rather than order and pay shipping).

Cut down a rifle cartridge (file blade metal handsaw).

Filed on it to get it flat, used a round file to remove burrs.

The I used a empty case as an anvil and re-rounded the newly cut end.

I then took 10 ga solid copper wire and bent up a nice little handle and then soldered the handle in the extractor groove.

I shined it up with some steel wool and then blew it clean.

Worked great today while loading up some 7mm-08 loads (100 gr Hornady HP, 47 grains IMR 4350, CCI 200 primer)... and they shot 7/8" group of three shots in a brand new rifle with a brand new bore sighted scope!

It made my day!

KRS

Cool deal!

I make as much of my own stuff as I can, too. Just cuzz it's fun. Heck, no one could afford to hire me, I'm so slow, and they probably wouldn't like the results anyway.

Watch out for the world of traditional muzzleloading if you're even a little handy though. You can build about anything, right up to rifles with common hand tools and common sense. For last few years I've shot deer with rifles I made myself, bullets I cast myself, bullet starters I made myself, loading blocks I made myself, a powder horn I made myself, and lots more odds and ends I made myself carried in a bag I made myself. It's not a pasttime. It's a disease.

I was thinking of doing this exact samething just the other day. Cut down an old case, put a wire handle on it and use it as a scoop.

Did you test weigh any of your measures? How was your consistancy?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Very Cleva, zees Amelicans

That Sir, is not a "Scoop".

Well, technically speaking, it could be called a "Scoop", however the term, "Powder Dipper", is more accurate, and standard in the shooting world, as it exists in my mind today.

I've made some myself. I usually solder a piece of #12 copper wire into the primer pocket, bend it down and then up and out, in a graceful curve, whereupon I form a loop in the wire so I can hang onto it easier. they work quite well if there are no sharp edges to catch the powder.

For me anyway, it's a pain in the pooper to get the case filed down square. I'm talking about dippers for handgun cartridges, only. I did one for my 280 Rem. but it was so long that it was hard to get a uniform dip. Consequently, it's never been used.

I use a set of Lee Dippers too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    ...rifles I made myself, bullets I cast myself, bullet starters I made myself, loading blocks I made myself, a powder horn I made myself, and lots more odds and ends I made myself carried in a bag I made myself. It's not a pasttime. It's a disease.
    No homemade powder ? Just kidding! I have too many hobbies as it is!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Did you test weigh any of your measures? How was your consistancy?
    It worked okay, but needed to be better. I used a 22/250 case cut just below the shoulder. That case was too small and too narrow. I need to cut one of my used 450 Marlin cases, they would work much better.

Consistency was okay, however I trickle every charge onto my scale every time so hitting the exact charge wasn't critical to me, however I do want to make another one and try to hit it much closer. The small 22/250 case scoop requires approx 1.5 scoops to get the 47 grains of IMR 4350.

I'm going to make another one with the 450 Marlin case and try to get it right!

KRS

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I've made some myself. ...but it was so long that it was hard to get a uniform dip.
    Smitty of the North
    See, I'm not the only crazy one

Mine it too long also... I'll be trying a different case and see how it goes.

KRS