Thread: comin up from the south...actual south

Default comin up from the south...actual south

well im gonna finish up high school here in north carolina in january and i wanna follow in my dads steps and head to alaska.

im banking all the money i can now for my trip and then want land a job while im up there, i dont really care what it is ive got no problem doing grunt work in a processing plant but i really want to do some hunting and fishing while im up there im he huge hunter here and have gotten many whitetails and 3 black bears all over 400

but i know its a whole different game in alaska, what would be a good hunt for a 18 year old kid on a budget?

Thumbs up

PBDude,
    Welcome to the forums here; hope you find them informative. There's a ton if info here for a kid with a dream.
    Remember that Alaska takes as much as it gives, so be prepared for some setbacks and disappointments.
    But the rewards of the Greatland are many.

Per your question, sounds like a Southeast deer hunt would be a great starter for a guy with your experience. You didn't say where you are headed, sounds like maybe southeast or southcentral with the processing gig?

Scour these forums and learn all you can. And then read some more.
    Welcome and best of luck with your plans!

Frank

im thinking petersburg like my dad did in the 60's

im also going to looking into getting a job with the parks service, and ive got a buddy in anchorage that im going to try to talk to a few ofhis friends for me

i would love to get a brown.......but thats pretty much out of the question for me since i wont have $$$ for a guided hunt and out of state tags

PBD, not sure what the employment situation is in AK, but a good reliable hand will always have good work. I betting you might be able to get on with a fire fighting or smoke jumping crew for the summer.

Are you plannig to live there for a while? I believe you need to live there 12 months before you can get resident hunting and fishing status? Maybe someone in AK in the forum here can confirm that. I think the non-resident moose and caribou are fairly resonable? Once again maybe someone else can help here.

Enjoy your adventure.

hey thanks alot montana

right now its just the summer then i plan to come home and get a degree in wildlife managment and from there i want to become an NC wildlife officer if that doesnt work out then ive always wanted to join the army and go airborn

Sounds like an awesome plan, you might want to consider going to college up here as well. Alaska Pacific University has a great degree plan in outdoor studies and University of Alaska Fairbanks has a really good biology program. There are plenty of airborne opportunities between the Army and Marine reserves up here as well. Between the tuition that the military will pay and the GI Bill you would be able to serve your country, earn a degree, and enjoy hunting and fishing in the greatest place on earth.

http://www.alaskapacific.edu/depts/os/
    http://www.bw.uaf.edu/

Default Paintball Dude...

Windswept just gave you the MASTER PLAN. In a summer you won't even be able to scratch the surface of what Alaska has to offer. You'll be lucky to even research the opportunities available. Plus you'll meet a few good men while you're up there.......and it will be time to leave. You'll be left wanting more. You can pursue all of your dreams of school, military, and hunting all at once and have a grip on the cost at the same time. At your age there is nothing to lose and everything to gain, like your brown bear, big bull caribou & moose, goats, & sheep. Maybe even a cute Alaskan girl! In my opinion you should thoroughly research that idea before you head north. You could always head south later if your heart desires. It would be easy to return to NC if that's what you decide.

Windswept......wish you would have given me that idea 25 years ago!