Thread: Lavender in Alaska

Default Lavender in Alaska

I recently bought a lavender plant in a pot from Costco. I bought it for two reasons, I've always liked it a lot, and I wanted to grow it on my own. However, I heard that even though it's a perenial plant, it's not going to grow well in the Alaskan garden. And that the best option would be to plant it in the big enough pot and keep it at home.

If you know anything about how to properly treat it, I really need your advice, I love the plant and I want it to live and grow for a long time!

I'm with ya Munya! My wife likes lavender as well, but we're hesitant on growing it here in Fairbanks...

A friend of mine has a beautiful old plant in her herb garden and it just keeps growing back, so I know it can be done. And that is even north of Fairbanks

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Grandma, You wouldn't know the name of such a strain would you?

Default made it through..

My wife bought one last year and we put it in a 30" dia. pot. Mainly because we did'nt know where to put it. It made it through the winter outside unprotected in the pot. We live near Anchor Pt.

Quote Originally Posted by barleydog View Post
    Grandma, You wouldn't know the name of such a strain would you?
    barleydog, no sure don't. And I don't have any plans to get to town anytime soon to be able to ask her.

Sorry
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

No problem Grandma!

DJW any ideas on the plants variety? I'd love to know what type of plant is "proven" than drop money on next years tumbleweed!

Hi,
    Does your lavender still grow well? I am eager to know about it. Please give me your answer. I need your help.

I am a Taiwanese. I work for a Taiwanese-owned company in Heilongjiang province in China. A cool place locates at 48'06'' and 126'17" for latitude and longitude, respectively, and at the altitude of 249 meters. I find it is about equal to the hardiness zone of 3 in US. What kinds of lavender plants should I grow? I need your helps.

My boss ask me to develop lavender organic farming in there and I am worried about how could lavender survive in such cold place?

Please give me your advices. Thank you very much.

Wei-Yu Chou

That seems alot further south than here. You'll be ok.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default How many winters does your lavender survive outdoors up to now?

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    That seems alot further south than here. You'll be ok.
    Thank for your encouragement. How many winters does your lavender survive outdoors ? Will you show me pictures someday? Please. What measures had been done by you to protect lavender outdoors against snow and freezing in the winter or the days near the end of winter? I deeply appreciate your answers.

Make sure that there are no winter debris such as autumn leaves or plant material from nearby plants smothering your plantings. A pile of leaves will get dampened by winter precipitation and hold moisture causing disease, die back or totally kill your plant.