Thread: Caines Head

Default Caines Head

All,

I am looking to do the Caines Head trail out of Seward. Does anyone have any experience on this trail?

The spec on it says it is tidal and to not attempt unless a 4 foot low occurs. The date we would like to go is a 2.1 low. Is this feasible at all?

Thanks,

Gusto

HI Gus,

Please help a midwesterner from the lower 48 understand the tides as they relate to hiking. I know the trail must be hiked at low tide and these tides are predicted in a printed tide table that I must study before I go. How often do you get a low tide and how long does it last? I'm planning to spend some time around Anchorage/Seward/Homer in August and I need to get up to speed on this stuff! Thanks for your help.

Tom

Default tides

Quote Originally Posted by pushing50 View Post
    HI Gus,

Please help a midwesterner from the lower 48 understand the tides as they relate to hiking. I know the trail must be hiked at low tide and these tides are predicted in a printed tide table that I must study before I go. How often do you get a low tide and how long does it last? I'm planning to spend some time around Anchorage/Seward/Homer in August and I need to get up to speed on this stuff! Thanks for your help.

Tom
    Hi Tom,

Expect a low tide every 12 hours and the tide should be slack for something like a half hour before actually turning around. We do have extreme tides up here and I believe the degree of the high tide should have an impact on how quickly the water comes up after the tide does turn (i.e. the water level of a very high tide has to rise more quickly in the 6 hours until high tide than a moderate high tide would). Here's a link to tide tables in Alaska that could be helpful. I see they do not list Seward on the website, but you could likely find an equivalent location to use as reference though. Unless you can find the info. elsewhere, PM me and address and I'll mail you an Alaska tide table book. The link...

http://www.freetidetables.com/

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

The hike out there is fine. You might get your feet wet, but I have done it without ever looking at the tides and been OK it may have been dumb luck, but I'd say go for it.

Great info, thank you Carnivore! I've been googling around and I've also found a Seward tide table posted at the Millers Landing web site. They also offer water taxi, which may be helpful since two bridges on the Coastal Trail to Caines Head were out last year due to flood damage. Do you know if they are still out?

Best,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    Hi Tom,

Expect a low tide every 12 hours and the tide should be slack for something like a half hour before actually turning around....

-Carnivore

I hear you moose-head. So many of my best times in hiking just happen. I'm glad to hear you made it ok with the tides. Did you encounter any bears?

Best,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    The hike out there is fine. You might get your feet wet, but I have done it without ever looking at the tides and been OK it may have been dumb luck, but I'd say go for it.

Default Bridges

They also offer water taxi, which may be helpful since two bridges on the Coastal Trail to Caines Head were out last year due to flood damage. Do you know if they are still out?
    Sorry Tom - no idea about the condition of the bridges.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

My brother and family is out there right now. They called the forest service and were told to leave the trailhead three hours before low tide and they should be ok for crossing. They called this morning and didn't report any problems so they must've made it ok. But if you want the best and most accurate info, go to the source:
    http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/caineshd.htm

Happy Trails!!

I hear you moose-head. So many of my best times in hiking just happen. I'm glad to hear you made it ok with the tides. Did you encounter any bears?

Best,
    Tom
    No bears. Plenty of scat though and some nanny and kid goats that were pretty close to the trail and gave us some awsome pictures.

Default Tides

Watch the slick rocks, broke leg out of Seward 1.5 miles in on 3 mile hike. 2 years ago 4th of July, At tide line on a slick rock that did not look bad. Now have pins & plate for memories.