Thread: Fishing Etiquette for Salmon on Rivers/Creeks

Default Fishing Etiquette for Salmon on Rivers/Creeks

We are returning to Alaska in August to enjoy fishing for Salmon in the rivers/creeks (Resurrection Creek in Hope, Montana Creek on Parks Highway, and anywhere else we can). We will be avoiding the "combat" fishing as participants as we aren't experienced enough, but want to enjoy this wonderful experience in less "populated areas" with the 10 year old to 70 year olds in our party of 9 (three generations). Any fishing etiquette suggestions of "what not to do" or even "what to do" would be very helpful. If there has already been a post/thread on this topic, please direct me so I don't waste anyone's time with reposting. Thanks for your help!

-When you hear some one say fish one it's curtious to real in so that your line won't tangle into his.

-If you are fighting a fish and it run up/down stream from you quiet aways, walk to the fish.

-Wear glasses to protect your eyes. Also this will help you spot the fish.

Resurrection Creek in Hope, you will have a blast. The Pinks will be thick in there when you come.

-have a good time and enjoy.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default braided line

its a big no no unless youre holding a halibut rod or surfcast rod its a bad idea

Don't take someones spot if they need to go down or upstream to land a fish. The person should always be able to return to his or her spot. Fishing another person spot is okay if you relinquish when they return.

When fishing a combat line-up cast in sync with the people besides you. Otherwise you will spend a lot of time untangling lines.

Default Braided line??

Sorry to jump in here like this. Why is braided line a big no no? Did I miss it in the regs?

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    Sorry to jump in here like this. Why is braided line a big no no? Did I miss it in the regs?
    I think its because it gets tangled more easily, and when it is tangled, its harder to un-tangle.

If you are using braid, be the first to offer to cut your line I guess. Thats unfortunately what ill have to do, because I spooled my reel with it!
    Im sorry for those I will be next too, but I will obvious watch everyone before casting and find the right 'rhythm' so that I dont get tangled. If I do, Ill offer to cut my line because I know braid is a pain in the #$@%.

soda - I spooled a few baitcasters with it last year as well. After having a few messes I decided it just wasn't worth it. I cut my losses and just respooled with what I always use anyhow - Maxima Ultragreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    soda - I spooled a few baitcasters with it last year as well. After having a few messes I decided it just wasn't worth it. I cut my losses and just respooled with what I always use anyhow - Maxima Ultragreen.
    I called this guy...lost his card, but have his number.

anyways, its a repair shop on artic and international. Im gonna go see him this morning and hopefully he's got an extra spool top for my reels. That way I can switch to mono if I cause problems!
    Thanks for the heads up Brian. Cuz if you got tangled up, I certainly will.

That guy has been there for a long time. Hey soda, Maybe if you had not been food shopping so much since you got here you could have gone to mart mart and got some mono line. LMAO. Sorry but you had that one coming. See you thursday at humpy's
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

"Fish on!" means get your lines out of the way. We have problems with that on the lake Michigan rivers, the locals don't speak any english. If I snag your line and it is my fault, cut my line, I can re-tie faster than you can untangle it. If I snag a fish by accident, I always will try to get it in as soon as possible or pull the hook out so that fish can swim free. If someone is struggling to catch fish, and you are killing them, offer to show them how you are rigging up, or what fly or lure you are using. Don't cast over people's lines. Don't move in on someone's drift. Don't expand your drift to squeeze out approaching anglers unless they keep crossing your line. Help young kids learn sound and effective techniques. This much I learned fishing salmon and trout in the rivers around MN and WI, and these "rules" are valid everywhere. Best of all, the fish gods will smile on you with tight lines if you follow the rules! #1 rule- have fun!

Default Does this apply?

Not sure if this falls in line with fishing morals but I noticed that when flipping on ship creek 99 percent of the people will be on one side of the creek flipping to the opposite shore, few problems that way, but there is always some guy that shows up on the opposite bank and flips out into everyone else. I have never seen them do anything other than ruin the sync and tangle everyone else up. So if this applys, dont do it, or atleast try to time your drifts between everyone elses, especially if they were there first.

You are not a tree, you are not rooted to the ground. This is exactly the biggest complaint I have heard and had.
    Good Thinkin Alaska Gray!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    -When you hear some one say fish one it's curtious to real in so that your line won't tangle into his.

-If you are fighting a fish and it run up/down stream from you quiet aways, walk to the fish.

Default braid

if you are flipen for reds braid is not a good choice the thin line diameter does not drift well you will get more snags on the bottom and if you snag a fish in the side and it runs down stream you could cut somebody prety bad i dont want to hurt any body so i dont use it for flipin. if nobody is around it might be good for casting bait to deep holes on the river for kings.

Default Braid would win..

If there where a super-hero fish war between lines....... Braid would win 90% of the time.... personally I fish for reds w/ very little weight, fly line, and flourocarbon leader... If I have to fight the ppl off w/ a stick I go somehere else.... Briad is fine for flipping requires much less weight and gloves to handle the line burns.. Oh yeah, sensitivitly also is definitly off the charts.

Funny that many Alaskans haven't discovered puting lead into surgical tubing to increase drift and reduce extra drag that straight lead produces.....

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    If there where a super-hero fish war between lines....... Braid would win 90% of the time.... personally I fish for reds w/ very little weight, fly line, and flourocarbon leader... If I have to fight the ppl off w/ a stick I go somehere else.... Briad is fine for flipping requires much less weight and gloves to handle the line burns.. Oh yeah, sensitivitly also is definitly off the charts.

Funny that many Alaskans haven't discovered puting lead into surgical tubing to increase drift and reduce extra drag that straight lead produces.....
    youre rite its stronger sinks faster and is more sensitive plus you can put more on a spool ....but pepole will cry the second you step into the river next to them I got my first red with braid and it worked ok. but after i tryed mono for reds i will stay with it. it drifts better and untangles better and is safer around lots of pepole . picture this a king grabs your fly or you foul hook a red ,you have on 25lb braid the fish runs downstream close to shore youre line crosses over sombodys arm face or neck who didnt hear you scream fish on,,,,,,ok lets not picture that its a bad idea.

Quick question. Since ya'll made some valid points concerning braid, what lbs test would you recommend? I talked to someone yesterday who was broke off easily with 25lbs mono.

Default i use 20 lb

Quote Originally Posted by morgan View Post
    Quick question. Since ya'll made some valid points concerning braid, what lbs test would you recommend? I talked to someone yesterday who was broke off easily with 25lbs mono.
    mabey his drag is set wrong/ i rairly brake off with 20 lb line but im fishin for reds with 20 lb line..for kings I use 40lb test..also re tie youre leader when it starts to get nicked and use a good knot...

For most Salmon I am using my 20lb test. I also happen to use 40 for Kings. I usually fish Kenai and Montana only, though since it's hard for me to get a lot of time off work in the summers.

Default Line weight

If im on the russian for the 1st run Ill use 20lb mono with my fly line. I use my floating 8 with about 10 feet of mono. I have had no issues with it. During the 2nd run especially when im in my boat floating the upper I use 25lb mono leader. Those 2nd run reds on the kenai are some tough puppies. Hooking them on the drift with a fly rod is an experience in rowing when your wife is on the platform screaming (in a laughing good way) he is all ready to the backing. I have used mono up here since 78-79. Never had a complaint. Usually if something breaks it is my fault (and the wife will remind me of that but I am not allowed to remind her of that)

Just my .02
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thanks ya'll! I guess my 20lbs mono may be a lil lite for kings on Ship Creek. I'll respool with something a little stronger until the silvers start, then I'll drop back down. I'm still looking for a fight but I got to get my hands on one of them big ole Kings! Thanks for the help.