Thread: Suggestions for getting Meat home

Default Suggestions for getting Meat home

Any advice for shipping meat out of Anchorage (black bear). I think my plan will be to get a white foam cooler, fill it with some dry ice and keep it in the trunk. If I'm lucky enough to earn any meat, I should be able to get it to the car within a day or two, restock on dry ice and am planning on FedExing it home.

Any other suggestions, my hunting experience is limited to the Midwest in the late fall when meat care isn't much of an issue.

Default Just my thoughts

You can check with local meat markets, might be cheaper, more efficient/packed properly to be sent rather than fed ex. You could also donate to soup kitchens if the cost is ridiculous.

Default meat options

Dry ice is very expensive and hard to get.Not worth the timeto mess with.Ice will work fine.You can freese yor meat over night at a butcher and fly it home if you dont have huge lay overs.You can also donate your meat to others in Alaska,but make sure they fill out a donation card.If you have a moose ,caribou ect.You can ship it AIR CARGO at one of the freight places.This will be the cheapest of all options if you have a lot to bring back...You cna ship clothes,coolers,camp gear what ever you want.
    Some guys do this so they have everything with the and dont have to buy or rent ect. Some even ship there raft,motor ect...I forgot,you cannot ship DRY ICE on any plane,anywere that i am aware of...

Have your meat blast frozen and pack it into a soft sided cooler bag. I routinely take meat this way on the airlines. I use the meat it self as the ice, vac sealed and wrapped in old news paper. Have had both meat and fish still soft frozen after 48 hours in transit.

Steve

freeze the meat and then wrap it in several layers of newspaper if a soft sided cooler cannot be found you can use a duffel lined with bath towels and use up to 4.5 lbs of dry ice this is the limit if your taking it on a plane dry ice can be found at any grocery store up her and at wal mart and fred meyers and is pretty cheap I think it was $24 bucks when I sent some fish down with family last year made it all the way to florida frozen solid after an 18 hour flight.

I think that fullcry is right that you cannot use dry ice if it is going on an airplane. I have taken frozen fish and game meat as baggage from AK to MT several times and never had it thaw out.

Default check with the airline

this is listed on alaska air web page.

Dry Ice

Dry ice may be placed in carry-on and checked baggage subject to the following limitations: In all cases, the packaging must allow for the release of carbon dioxide gas. For carry-on baggage, each person may carry up to 4 pounds of dry ice. In checked baggage, the limit is 5 pounds per package. The package must be marked with the net weight of the dry ice or the statement that the net weight of dry ice is 5 pounds or less. The name of the contents being cooled, along with the words "Dry Ice" or "Carbon Dioxide, Solid" must be on the outside of the package.

We sent our clothes back via US Mail (took 3 weeks to Michigan) from Homer, AK and brought our meat back on the plane. I think it cost $40 to send my clothes and gear back. We taped our rifle cases together and put cardboard around them. They weighed less than the 50lbs total so that only counted as one checked piece of luggage which let us bring back (5) coolers of meat for free.

The airlines are starting to charge $25 for a second piece of luggage now so I don't know how you feel about that.

The airlines are starting to charge $25 for a second piece of luggage now so I don't know how you feel about that.[/quote]

Packed to the full 50# that is only fifty cents a pound for shipping.
    How much is fedex- ups-upsps express ?

Default A good way to ship meat

We send people out with fish all summer from our charter boat. We have them get one of the 5 Day coolers, freeze the fish and just pack it in and fill the top with news papers when the airline bag wt. is reached as not to leave any air space. Then the people just check it. The airlines won,t take anything with ice and dry ice is Haz mat and an extra fee. KISS applies

Default Well........

I'd flash freeze and fedex. But it's expensive to fedex weight.
    Good suggestion about the soup kitchens.
    Good Luck.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Quote Originally Posted by Hhounds View Post
    The airlines are starting to charge $25 for a second piece of luggage now so I don't know how you feel about that.
    Packed to the full 50# that is only fifty cents a pound for shipping.
    How much is fedex- ups-upsps express ?[/quote]

What I mean is that they are starting to charge for luggage and you would need to check with your particular airline to see what it would cost. It's still cheaper than sending back FED X and it gets back quicker.