Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Alaskan rifle?

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

Default What is the Alaskan rifle?

I am looking for a rifle that will do everything and that i can get ammo for about anywhere. I want something light for hiking the mountains and chasing goats, flat shooting, but also heavy enough to stop a griz or moose in it's tracks. So what is the preferd do all rifle for alaska. I am not worried about being over gunned for certian animails. i am just really wanting something to handle the big tuff animails. thanks for your help guys. I cant wait to get there. Only 2 more months.

Go buy savages alaskan rifle in 375H&H. lightweight, somewhat weather resistant, decent price and usually shoots preety good for a good price. That way you have everything covered.

.300 win mag.

Get a new stainless Winchester model 70, 300 win. mag. That's all you need.

I'm actually surprised the .338 hasnt been mentioned yet. It is the all around catridge in AK. If you can shoulder the .375 and dont mind the weight I would go that route. But you can drop the coin and get a light weight .338 and do just as well.

Default I have said it in other threads...

the .338 is blasee. .325 WSM is totally worth a look. Hits like a .338, flat like a .300.....

Read my other post for my opinion in the links Montana sent you....

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    the .338 is blasee. .325 WSM is totally worth a look. Hits like a .338, flat like a .300.....

I'm not sure what you mean by that since "blasee" isn't a word. In comparing the .338 and .300WM to the .325 you are mistaken to use the word "like" for either comparison. It's a compromise in both directions. The .325WSM is not the equivalent of the .338WM despite Winchester's marketing. The .338 has been around for decades and is well established, while the .325 is new and may go the way of the 7mm WSM or any of the SAUM rounds. It's a good cartridge, but it's pretty hard to displace giants like the .300 and .338WM.

Default Gee, thx Teach

Okay, so the grammatical functions are very limited on this to put in the accentuation marks on blase.

I have the ballistics to demonstrate, factually, that the .325 has every bit of energy and velocity as the .338, and will outperform that round in trajectory.

I have already written same in other posts, and didn't feel like 're-writing'. If you had taken the time to actually read the same, you might know that.

I am confident that the .325 WSM is very capable in 'displacing' the 'giant' 300WM. It's just the folks that, similar to you, are "always doin' what I've always done".

Yes, I know the pro's and cons of the round, and don't need a lecture from someone that didn't even take the time to read my other post(s) as I first mentioned.
    Oh, and btw, where is your English Degree and Teaching Certification? I have mine, do you have yours?

Default Not to mention

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that since "blasee" isn't a word. In comparing the .338 and .300WM to the .325 you are mistaken to use the word "like" for either comparison. It's a compromise in both directions. The .325WSM is not the equivalent of the .338WM despite Winchester's marketing. The .338 has been around for decades and is well established, while the .325 is new and may go the way of the 7mm WSM or any of the SAUM rounds. It's a good cartridge, but it's pretty hard to displace giants like the .300 and .338WM.
    That the design of the WSM cartridge provides for a different burn rate of the powder, making an inherently more accurate round. Add to that the degree of angle in the neck of the cartridge, lets the cartridge sit in the lands better; coupled with a short action; again, making for an inherently more accurate round.

The problem is that ammo is not readily available for it like it's for the .338, .300, and .375, something asked about by the original poster.

In my view, a .338WM as an all around Alaska rifle is hard to beat, and the .300WM is a close second. It can be lightened as long as one can take the recoil, but one around 8 pounds (unloaded) can be loaded with heavy or light bullets as desired. With a 180-grain factory round from Federal, it puts a hole on the target within 1-1/4" out to 500 yards-from a similarly constructed and factory-loaded .300WM bullet of 180 grains. But while the .300 can do so well with a 180-grain bullet, the .338WM is better suited for heavier bullets from around 230 to 300 grains.

Default ....

That the design of the WSM cartridge provides for a different burn rate of the powder, making an inherently more accurate round. Add to that the degree of angle in the neck of the cartridge, lets the cartridge sit in the lands better; coupled with a short action; again, making for an inherently more accurate round.
    Sounds like ya' about got yourself talked into-a-helluva cartridge

I think the gun makers should pay us all for all the marketing we do for them

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I think the gun makers should pay us all for all the marketing we do for them
    You are right about that. Also, now that you have mentioned, the .300WM has won quite a lot of long range matches. Not bad for a caliber that's not as accurate as some others

Okay, so the grammatical functions are very limited on this to put in the accentuation marks on blase.

I have the ballistics to demonstrate, factually, that the .325 has every bit of energy and velocity as the .338, and will outperform that round in trajectory.

I have already written same in other posts, and didn't feel like 're-writing'. If you had taken the time to actually read the same, you might know that.

I am confident that the .325 WSM is very capable in 'displacing' the 'giant' 300WM. It's just the folks that, similar to you, are "always doin' what I've always done".

Yes, I know the pro's and cons of the round, and don't need a lecture from someone that didn't even take the time to read my other post(s) as I first mentioned.
    Oh, and btw, where is your English Degree and Teaching Certification? I have mine, do you have yours?
    Easy easy lemon squeezy!!! I do like to looks ballstically of the 325. That being said I didn't go by one. Why? Ammo costs are amazing on that round and I want to get into reloading and I've read that you can't compete with the factory loads ballstically through reloading.

Time will tell how long the 325 stays around, but if just happens to be a fad and they come out with a newer whiz bang round that trumps the .325 then ammo will be even harder to find and more expensive. Where as its hard to agrue that the .300 WM and the .338 WM won't be around for years to come as they already have proven they have staying power. I hope the 325 does too, but I'm not going to find out the hard way.

AK Lanche- As you know I jumped on the 325 bandwagon... I like the round, I love the A-bolt stainless stalker. If bruin walks in the path perhaps I will get to test the terminal balistics this week! I shure don't like the $65 a box price tag though!

Thumbs up .300 Rum

OK, time for the reality check. The .300 RUM is da cartridge. It thumps harder, flys faster and flatter than the mighty 338 Win, .300 Win, and .325 WSM.

It out does the 325 by 100 -200 fps in the 200 gr AB and the BC comparison is .450 to . 588, which means it leaves the 325 WSM in the dust.

When yer hunting the big coastal brownies, all you have to do is hold yer gun up so they can see it and they will fall over dead

*expecting my bonus check from Remington any day now*

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    OK, time for the reality check. The .300 RUM is da cartridge. It thumps harder, flys faster and flatter than the mighty 338 Win, .300 Win, and .325 WSM.

It out does the 325 by 100 -200 fps in the 200 gr AB and the BC comparison is .450 to . 588, which means it leaves the 325 WSM in the dust.

When yer hunting the big coastal brownies, all you have to do is hold yer gun up so they can see it and they will fall over dead

*expecting my bonus check from Remington any day now*
    Yeah but you need a trained arty team to cycle the bolt. At the least you need a second guy to lift and run ten feet back holding the bolt to eject the spent shell then run all the way back and lock the bolt shut on the new cartridge.

.243 well placed. Ok I'm kidding, just wanted to stir the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    AK Lanche- As you know I jumped on the 325 bandwagon... I like the round, I love the A-bolt stainless stalker. If bruin walks in the path perhaps I will get to test the terminal balistics this week! I shure don't like the $65 a box price tag though!
    Don't get wrong I like the look of the 325 a lot. Economics just comes into play at some point. When you can buy a .300 WM Tikka for $575 that shoots cheaper ammo and can be reloaded easily vs. a much more expensive browning or kimber and more expensive ammo is basically what decided which round I went with.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast