Thread: Would appreciate any advice on POW bear.

Default Would appreciate any advice on POW bear.

Father (63) and son (39) team (1st trip to Alaska, finally) heading to northwest POW May30 - June8 to try to get a bear unguided. Rented a cabin and truck and should have access to a skiff for a day or two if needed around Naukati and klawock if need be. My father would prefer not to hunt from a skiff and try the road system, clear cuts and shorelines on foot if we can. He can still handle the modest physical terrain, he still hunts mule deer and elk in Colorado and Nevada and I can pack it out. Have talked to a few hunters successful and unsucessful already this year up to about the 15th of May (all hunting the shorelines) who reported that the beaches hadn't greened up yet and the bears were all turning up rocks to feed. Would appreciate any advice on specific areas, best times to hunt for certain areas, etc. Have had a hard time finding where the clear cuts are located on the island and wondering how the recent warm weather will affect hunting. Haven't had the chance to hunt together in a few years and looking to make the most of the opportunity. The time together is our trophy but sure would like to find a respectable bear too. Have been reading the various bear hunting posts for the last month and they've been very helpful. Thank you, Bill.

Default They scatter like the wind this time of year

After the first green up they scatter everywhere. Its mating season and there are hundreds of food sources for a bear. The vegitation is getting much, much thicker in the woods leaving visability low. Its a tougher time to get a bear. Possible, yes, just not the prefered time for a variety of reasons.

Whatever happens take some time out to enjoy the season and catch a King.

Keep an eye on the weather. Don't get wet or sweaty. Take your time. You can hunt like machines and end up not enjoying yourselves, or you can pace and really have a good time. Important for Southeast is weather and don't get wet. Keep up with your hydration.

Call Fish and Game and the Feds, ask lots of questions.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default appreciate the advice

Thanks, good advice. Should be set for the rain, weather and plan most of all to enjoy ourselves. Not in a hury, if we can't get a bear in 8 days of hunting then thats how it works out. Should be enough time to try some different areas and any 1st bear would be a trophy to me. Had an opportunity here at home last year on a nice black bear with my bow I'd found prior to the season but couldn't close the distance opening morning. Got to about 120 yards. Couldn't locate him later in the season after hunters moved in. Have high hopes for POW.

Rock flipping bears are the best! If that's what you think you'll run into, then that's a bonus. Don't skip glassing the steep rocky sections of shoreline, and spend all your time looking at the flats.

Default POW Black Bear Hunt

First Off, Congrats on taking your Dad to POW for Black Bears. You won't find any place any better, and late May, early June is one of my favorite times on the island. Some questions. Where (which town) are you staying in? Klawock, Craig, Coffman Cove, Naukati, Whale Pass, Thorne Bay? Prince of Wales is a big island, and although it's got a great road system, if you're going to hunt from the roads, you can put in a lot of driving time, especially if you need to get back to your cabin each night. The road system, as far as the paved roads go, has really improved in the last few roads, and you can now travel from Hydaburg to Hollis to Craig, Klawock, and Thorne Bay without leaving a paved road. Most of the main route to Coffman Cove is now paved, but I understand they won't have the final stretch finished until probably September. You're a little late for the typical 'prime' spring hunting period, but that just makes the bears a little more spread out and tougher to locate. The brush is THICK over the entire island, and unless you see a bear glassing a hillside, or happen to run into one along the road, they can disappear in a second. There are some great places to hunt all over the island, and I could name a few spots, but there are a couple of factors to consider. Many of these spots could be hours of driving time from your cabin. You'll want to be out both very early, and very late in the day, and the hours of driving after a long days hunting, and then an early wake up time the next day could burn you both out quickly. I would suggest either concentrating on a certain area not too far from your cabin, or, as a better alternative, bring along some camping gear in your rig, and when you get to a hunting spot you want to devote more time to, be prepared to spend the night so you can hunt until dusk without a long drive back to your cabin, and then be able to get up the next morning and continue the hunt immediately during those prime times. This message is getting too long, but if you'd like any more info from me, let me know, and I can either go on longer in this forum, or I can get you my email address or phone number, and I'll give you as much more info as I can possibly give and as much as you'd like to use. Have a great trip, and don't hesitate to answer back. Let us all know how you did when you get back. May the good Lord Bless you richly in all that you do. Good Hunting!

Default 69fj40 pow bear

Sent PM with my email and thank you.

I met billl up there, he is a great guy, tough and has a good story, will let him tell it. Bill nice meeting you, congrat's cannot wait to here the full story when you get back.