Thread: Surplus Military Ammunition

Default Surplus Military Ammunition

Haven't used surplus military ammo before, wondering what folks opinions are about it. Also would like to find out if there are shops in Anchorage that sell it. Seems to me that with prices the way they are out here in the bush for off the shelf ammo, may be better to buy surplus and do a little more shooting.

It depends on where it was born.

Generally the former Soviet Bloc and their satellites produced corrosive ammo, and non-reloadable. US you don't have to worry about.

Some of the 7.62 NATO was corrosive, some not, almost all except US and German are Berdan primed. Indian 7.62 is very poor quality, Greek is good, Portuguese is quite good, Radway is good, South African is quite good as is Australian.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Haven't used surplus military ammo before, wondering what folks opinions are about it. Also would like to find out if there are shops in Anchorage that sell it. Seems to me that with prices the way they are out here in the bush for off the shelf ammo, may be better to buy surplus and do a little more shooting.
    I can't answer the rest, but, I've seen surplus military ammo at a place called "The Ammo King", in Anchorage.

It's on Boniface Parkway. (907) 770-1750

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've seen the SA surplus 308 selling for more than new manufacture LOL...

I shot it when I can get it. An internet site: www.ammoman.com has free shipping. He also has the cheapest ammo I have seen. Over the years, all .303 I've shot was good, 06' was the same, the 7.62 x 54R was hit or miss and the 8mm wasn't bad.

Ron

Default mil surp ammo?

The stuff I've seen or tried or witnessed being shot.... huh well most of it goes bang, some of it is dang hot and very little of it shows much accuracy potential. Quit trying it a long time ago. It can have corrosive primers... I'd just as soon not find out. About the only real use I could see for it is since most of it is made tough and weather resistant it could be sealed in a PVC tube and buried for hard times

The place on Boniface (base end) has had surpluss in the past - as well as a few other places around town. I've used mil-surp 7.62Nato, 5.56 and 8mm with good results - read the reviews before you buy. I have a couple thousand rounds of south african, australian and port 7.62Nato stuffed in a corner that all perform well. In general, mil-surp from wealthier nations is better stored and well manufactured (duh?)

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    I shot it when I can get it. An internet site: www.ammoman.com has free shipping. He also has the cheapest ammo I have seen. Over the years, all .303 I've shot was good, 06' was the same, the 7.62 x 54R was hit or miss and the 8mm wasn't bad.

Ron

unfortunately, that site falls into the category of every other website selling ammo - not to alaska.

Does anyone else have a line on a place to buy ammo cheaper than anchorage that ships to AK?

If you want to ship ammo to Alaska you will most likely have to ship to Carlyle's facility in Tacoma and then barge it up here. That is what I usually do.

Default ganging up....

Why can't a bunch of us get together and place a nice big order and make it more cost effective to ship here... We probably all shoot nearly the same stuff in Military anywhoo....

reuben..

Reuben, going in together is the best way to go. You can buy 1000s of rounds and ship them together on one pallet and get the best deal.

It is hard to find M855 or SS109 ( Mil-Surp that isn't priced too high. Ammo King/ Alaska Shooter's Supply told me 2 weeks ago that if they got SS109 green tipped 5.56 in, that it would be around a dollar a round....

2 years ago that stuff was going for $250/ thousand!

So I've collected tens of thousands of 5.56 brass and have been buying SS109 62 gr steel penetrator projectiles for around $100/ thousand...

I currently have 2 kegs of H335 and 2 kegs of Varget. I loaded a few hundred test rounds last night and plan on doing about 2000 rounds this weekend after I shoot the test rounds for function in my AR's....

Another thing I did to cut down on my shooting expense was to buy a Colt factory AR chambered in 9mm. I already had several thousand rounds of 9mm that I picked up for a steal several years ago. I also have plans for putting a .22 LR upper on one of my AR lowers, with some Black Dog mags. I'll be able to let my 3 boys shoot as often as they want and don't spend as much for ammo anymore! In my case reloading is less expensive than buying Mil-Surp ammo!

- Clint

Just have them ship it via Ground.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I have been thinking of hauling up a load of 308 ammo. to make it cost effective, I will need to do 100,000 plus rounds. Let me know if there is interest. I wouldnt bother with 223 (62 OR 55GR) since thats is always in stock as well as 7.62x39, although my supply of decent 7.62x29 is starting to dry up