Put in at Whittier Thursday and took out mid-day today. As always, kept up to date on the marine weather forecast and planned my trip accordingly. Forecast at 4 am this morning (Sunday) called for 4-ft. seas in Passage Canal Monday, although the current conditions looked/sounded good. Previously, forecast had called for better conditions, but as we all know the weather and weather forecasts are anything but predictable.
So we headed in from Knight Island to pull the boat out. As neared Whittier around 11 am, I was surprised to see all kinds of size boats heading out from Whittier. Wondered if they were just out for the day or if they'd planned on being out overnight. Also wondered if they knew of the impending weather.
Pulled up to the dock and was BS'ing with a guy and I mentioned the 4-ft seas forecast for Passage Canal for Monday. He was surprised and said that he'd heard it was supposed to be 2 foot seas. He went out anyway. Forecast now is:
400 PM ADT SUN MAY 25 2008
...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT...
.TONIGHT...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT BECOMING W 20 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
SEAS 3 FT.
.MON...W WIND 25 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
.MON NIGHT...W WIND 30 KT. SEAS 5 FT.
.TUE...W WIND 30 KT. SEAS 5 FT.
.TUE NIGHT...W WIND 25 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
.WED...W WIND 20 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
.THU AND FRI...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
I hope nobody gets into trouble trying to get back Monday. Especially those with small boats packed full of kids. I'm afraid they're going to be in for a surprise.