Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Sitka Archery Range

  1. #1
    Member Lex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South of Juneau
    Posts
    183

    Default Sitka Archery Range

    The Archery Range Here In Sitka is Closed ,Seems like our fearless leader manged to for get a few rules ,Like haven a range master and according to what i was told that the range it self fell out of compliance with there insurance .I was told today that the SSA will be haven a meting to try and see if they cant get the range back to specs.But given the history of this town being anti archery I,m not holding my breath ,If it does close then the hard cores like my self may have to go to Juneau to shoot since that is the next closes range ..What a mass

  2. #2
    Member Bighorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, Alaska
    Posts
    2,032

    Default Now where?

    I live in Sitka too. I don't belong to the SSA and I'm not particpating in the Derby.

    I do bow hunt though. Where can we practice now? I guess with a good target we could set it up anywhere in the Tongass.

    What do you mean the town is not bow hunting friendly? Are you refering to all the greenies around now?

    As far as I'm concerned it's as friendly as I want it to be. I've got plenty of time to chase deer and lots of land to do it on. For me.....thats enough!

  3. #3

    Default

    I'll be down that way with a block style target. If ya need something brought down let me know. I'm in Fairbanks gonna be headed that way on this sunday.

    let me know

  4. #4
    Member Lex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South of Juneau
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I live in Sitka too. I don't belong to the SSA and I'm not particpating in the Derby.

    I do bow hunt though. Where can we practice now? I guess with a good target we could set it up anywhere in the Tongass.

    What do you mean the town is not bow hunting friendly? Are you refering to all the greenies around now?

    As far as I'm concerned it's as friendly as I want it to be. I've got plenty of time to chase deer and lots of land to do it on. For me.....thats enough!


    There is a lot of gun guys who are not all the happy with archery and yes the tree luggers as well .The thing that bugs me is this range has been in play for two years now and no one said any thing about it being unsafe,So now two years later (almost three) SSA is saying that its not in compliance.I can understand about the Range master ,But To say after two or three years that the range is unsafe?

  5. #5
    Member Lex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South of Juneau
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I'll be down that way with a block style target. If ya need something brought down let me know. I'm in Fairbanks gonna be headed that way on this sunday.

    let me know

    Thanks Trad.Right now the only thing that be done is wait until SSA has its meeting .The range that could be used is the one that the Coast Guard has and thats a no go at all.911 and all .

  6. #6

    Default

    no go because you cant get on the base? If that's the case I should be able to get us on to shoot. or is the range itself closed due to 911?

    If yall need something done be afraid to ask. I have some room in the truck (with camper shell) to bring down stuff as long as it aint overly huge.

    I leave this sunday from Fairbanks.

  7. #7
    Member Lex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South of Juneau
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    no go because you cant get on the base? If that's the case I should be able to get us on to shoot. or is the range itself closed due to 911?

    If yall need something done be afraid to ask. I have some room in the truck (with camper shell) to bring down stuff as long as it aint overly huge.

    I leave this sunday from Fairbanks.

    No go as in cant get on the base ,Due to 911 and all .We tried some time ago but do to red tape and how much paper work the idea was dropped .Tomorrow i am going to talk to the USFS and see if we cant under the Presidential act of mandatory physical Fitness about getting a hold of a grant to set up a range . A walk thought range like the one they have in south central or in Juneau would be considered as exercise .

  8. #8

    Default

    Well if either of ya need somethign let me know. Right now I have room. Save atleast shipping. Leave sunday nite.

  9. #9
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    We shoot at the archery club on Elmendorf AFB all the time. It's not really that big of a deal to get a yearly pass, even if you are not military.

    It's too bad your gun range is like that. My local gun range has given me pretty much free range to set up an archery range as I see fit. People will have to be members to be covered by insurance but they don't require a range officer for the archery side, only the firearm side.

  10. #10
    Member Lex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South of Juneau
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    We shoot at the archery club on Elmendorf AFB all the time. It's not really that big of a deal to get a yearly pass, even if you are not military.

    It's too bad your gun range is like that. My local gun range has given me pretty much free range to set up an archery range as I see fit. People will have to be members to be covered by insurance but they don't require a range officer for the archery side, only the firearm side.

    I,ll give the Coast Guard a call or some thing to see if they might cut some of the locals a little slack .Going to call the SSA, Next month to see if there is going to be a meeting about this .Hopefully after they have cooled down ,The Bord members Might be willing to listen .

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Petersburg
    Posts
    26

    Default another range to shoot

    May be a well kept secret but we have a great archery range in Petersburg, similar to Juneaus except we have both bales and 3D targets out all year along about a mile of trail. Next weekend is our annual tournament. If you ever get down this way let me know and I'll walk you thru, or come down next weekend and try it out.

  12. #12
    Member Lex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South of Juneau
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
    May be a well kept secret but we have a great archery range in Petersburg, similar to Juneaus except we have both bales and 3D targets out all year along about a mile of trail. Next weekend is our annual tournament. If you ever get down this way let me know and I'll walk you thru, or come down next weekend and try it out.

    SSA is going to have a meting this Monday ,One of the topics is the range .I put the word out over the net so hopefully people well show ,This well be the last chance to open it again if not .You will find me some place else .Murphy I will try to make it down there In July

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •