I'm trying to get myself set up to pull shrimp pots and need some feedback before I make any real decisions. Seems to me if anyone knows how to pull shrimp pots, it's you guys in Alaska!
Here's my situation:
I've personally used the Safe T Puller, haven't tried the Ace Line Hauler or Quick Catch Pot Puller yet.
- I'm in the Pacific Northwest (there isn't alot of wave action here).
- Shrimpers are setting their pots at 300 feet, and usually pull one pot per line.
- The pots weigh anywhere from 25# to 35#, plus 400' of leaded line and any shrimp caught (usually 80 or so spotted shrimp per pull).
- Most shrimpers use 3/8" leaded line.
- I'm considering the Safe T Puller, Ace Line Hauler and the Quick Catch Pot Puller (I gathered from your posts that gas would be a bit overkill for me).
I'm leaning towards the Quick Catch Pot Puller because it seems from some of your posts back in 2006 that you guys have been able to use it to double as your anchor puller.
I have 2 concerns:
- The Quick Catch Pot Puller might not work well with leaded crab line, given it's stiffness, the capstan material and the capstan diameter.
- Someone posted on a different website that there is an issue with capstans burning the line.
Any feedback would be welcome, and greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance,