Thread: Pot Puller

Default Pot Puller

Hi Everyone,
    I'm trying to get myself set up to pull shrimp pots and need some feedback before I make any real decisions. Seems to me if anyone knows how to pull shrimp pots, it's you guys in Alaska!

Here's my situation:
    • I'm in the Pacific Northwest (there isn't alot of wave action here).
    • Shrimpers are setting their pots at 300 feet, and usually pull one pot per line.
    • The pots weigh anywhere from 25# to 35#, plus 400' of leaded line and any shrimp caught (usually 80 or so spotted shrimp per pull).
    • Most shrimpers use 3/8" leaded line.
    • I'm considering the Safe T Puller, Ace Line Hauler and the Quick Catch Pot Puller (I gathered from your posts that gas would be a bit overkill for me).
    I've personally used the Safe T Puller, haven't tried the Ace Line Hauler or Quick Catch Pot Puller yet.

I'm leaning towards the Quick Catch Pot Puller because it seems from some of your posts back in 2006 that you guys have been able to use it to double as your anchor puller.

I have 2 concerns:

1. The Quick Catch Pot Puller might not work well with leaded crab line, given it's stiffness, the capstan material and the capstan diameter.
    2. Someone posted on a different website that there is an issue with capstans burning the line.

Any feedback would be welcome, and greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,
    Polywave

Quote Originally Posted by polywave View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm trying to get myself set up to pull shrimp pots and need some feedback before I make any real decisions. Seems to me if anyone knows how to pull shrimp pots, it's you guys in Alaska!

Here's my situation:
    • I'm in the Pacific Northwest (there isn't alot of wave action here).
    • Shrimpers are setting their pots at 300 feet, and usually pull one pot per line.
    • The pots weigh anywhere from 25# to 35#, plus 400' of leaded line and any shrimp caught (usually 80 or so spotted shrimp per pull).
    • Most shrimpers use 3/8" leaded line.
    • I'm considering the Safe T Puller, Ace Line Hauler and the Quick Catch Pot Puller (I gathered from your posts that gas would be a bit overkill for me).

I've personally used the Safe T Puller, haven't tried the Ace Line Hauler or Quick Catch Pot Puller yet.

I'm leaning towards the Quick Catch Pot Puller because it seems from some of your posts back in 2006 that you guys have been able to use it to double as your anchor puller.

I have 2 concerns:

1. The Quick Catch Pot Puller might not work well with leaded crab line, given it's stiffness, the capstan material and the capstan diameter.
    2. Someone posted on a different website that there is an issue with capstans burning the line.

Any feedback would be welcome, and greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,
    Polywave
    If you have the room buy the best available and in my opinion its the Electra-Dyne, they ain't cheap but you'll only buy it once. One other thing, there are other ropes available that aren't as stiff as that leaded hard lay stuff. I can't say to much here because i get accused of selling stuff on the site but email me and i'll fill you in a bit better.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I am installing the Ace Brutus puller this week and will try it out as soon as PotBuilder's pots get to me. I'll give you a heads up on what I think if you are still looking by this weekend.

Thanks potbuilder for the tip. I've already purchased some pots, and they came with the leaded line. With the little shrimping they let us do here in the the Puget Sound I probably have little chance of wearing the line out, and I'm a working stiff that can't afford to replace something unless I have to.
    I checked out the Electra-Dyne. It looks rugged, and like you, I like to buy things once. But the price tag is a bit rich for my blood. I'm working hard to balance my bank account and a pot puller right now.

I'll definately still be looking for a few weeks chauvotsm.

What do you guys think about this offer ( found it on a local website: craigslist.com)

6' tall davit comes with mounting brackets
    please email or call Jean 253-334-2708
    thanks

She's asking $120. Do you think it'll work for me if I weld a plate to it and mount a windlass style puller to it?

Polywave

Default Ace works great

I have an Ace pot puller, and have used it for three or four years. I can pull 5 pots with lead OK with it. One nice thing is that it mounts to a Scotty downrigger mount, and uses the Scotty electric plug. My only complaint is that the paint on the motor assembly is not as rugged as the powder coating on the rest of the unit, but a friend just bought one of these and I noticed that this has been improved since I bought mine.

Jim

Default Ace

I've been using my Ace for over 3 years now. I pull sets of 2 or 3 pots from 500' of water, no problem whatsoever. Folds up way small and stows nicely.
    I use 1/4" yellow poly line. $22 for 600' at the local hardware store. Just make sure you snap on a weight to sink the excess line.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
    I found a stainless davit for sale. I'm going to purchase it, as well as the Powerwinch; Quick Catch Pot Puller. This pot puller is rated for 200#. It has a windlass as opposed to a pulley, but since I haven't heard any negative feedback regarding windlass systems I'm assuming this type of system is ok.
    I'll mount the Quick Catch Pot Puller to the davit, add a pulley to the tip of the davit and call it good.
    One REALLY good piece of feedback I've recieved is laying the pots in a string, rather than individual lines/bouys for each pot. This will save me ALOT of line, and 2 bouys as well (I have a 22' boat and space is a premium for me!). Ergo, the higher rated capacity of the Quick Catch Pot Puller (200#/150'/min) rating looks like a good fit.
    Thanks again!
    Harold

Now how far do you all space your pots when you put them on the same line.
    I run two pots on one line and space them out 100 feet
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default spaced out

I run 5 pots on one line and space them about 30' apart.

Default Quick Catch Pot Puller

2 years now and I love mine, made it removalbe and stow under the seat. Now I need a bracket up front so I can use it for the anchor. I use 2 lines, 2 pots on one and 3 on the other and space them out 50'
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Can't wait to hear more on pot spacing!

Went to B&J about ten days ago and was told to space them only 25ft apart...gotta say it worked fine for me.

When there are so many pots down in the same general area, what's the difference?

If so close isn't that defeating the each pot. I would think to space out min 50 feet to maximize to potential catch..

I thinking with two bouys

To run two on one like I have with 100 feet in between.
    Drop one around 650- next around 600.

Next bouy 575 work my way up to 450.

This should help pin point where the best shrimp area in that area.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Quote Originally Posted by polywave View Post
    Thanks potbuilder for the tip. I've already purchased some pots, and they came with the leaded line. With the little shrimping they let us do here in the the Puget Sound I probably have little chance of wearing the line out, and I'm a working stiff that can't afford to replace something unless I have to.
    I checked out the Electra-Dyne. It looks rugged, and like you, I like to buy things once. But the price tag is a bit rich for my blood. I'm working hard to balance my bank account and a pot puller right now.

I'll definately still be looking for a few weeks chauvotsm.

What do you guys think about this offer ( found it on a local website: craigslist.com)

6' tall davit comes with mounting brackets
    please email or call Jean 253-334-2708
    thanks

She's asking $120. Do you think it'll work for me if I weld a plate to it and mount a windlass style puller to it?

Polywave
    If you live in the Puget Sound area Cushman boats sells a better looking arm than the one in your picture and it comes with the mounts for about the same price and it is new. Cushman is located in Hoodsport, WA but they will ship.

Default EZ-Pull

Just bought an EZ-Pull with a davit from cushmanboats and really love the setup. I opted for the "handsfree" setup and it is sweet. You just have to coil the line without even having to put any tension on the line. I have had the Ace and a friend with a windlass capstan with davit and while it may be splitting hairs, I like the hands free. May be worth checking out.

Has anyone used the Quick Catch Pot Puller with 3/8 leaded line?