Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite salmon fishing technique?

Default What's your favorite salmon fishing technique?

What's your favorite salmon fishing technique? Mine is fishing rivers either swinging big flies or floating bobbers and roe.

By the way, does anyone have good drift fishing knowledge that they could share? This method seems to be very successful from what I hear.

Motor mooching a cut plug herring along the edges of kelp beds would be my 1st choice!

For kings my favorite way is to use eggs on a plain hook with no weight. But eggs are illigal now so I havent been able to do that for several years.

My next favorite way it to drift Spin-N-glows.

What I actually use the most is a wiggle wart (Brad's wiggler) while anchored of in the boat.

For everything else my favorite is to catch them is on a fly. But I do not hardly catch any that way so I mostly use a Vibrax or bait if it is legal.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Backbouncing,bobber and eggs,pulling plugs, in that order.......I would be more then happy to teach anyone that is wanting to learn.On the river or by e-mail.....what ever works for you....remember one thing,be friendly to you fellow boaters and bank fisherman......i wish everyone a great king year....and good luck in the derby

Default I like Spotting & Stalking...

but if I don't see any, I will revert to calling them, either a nice hen call, or a bull grunt, & if all else fails, I'll bait them...

Default Pitching

Pitching ESL's, Dark Coho's & Flesh patterns are my top three fave's.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Chrome & chartreuse K-16 backtrolling

Default vibrex

i mostly fish the deshka,but have done pretty good at clear creek and the kasilof also,,fishing with a vibrex right on the bottom reeling just fast enough to make the blade turn..

What kind of "fisherman" uses a bobber and eggs. I am of higher standards and use a "strike indicator" and eggs! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    What kind of "fisherman" uses a bobber and eggs. I am of higher standards and use a "strike indicator" and eggs! LOL
    Not me............ I use a Float and Roe!!!
    Bobbers are Red and White and made of plastic and are used for rock bass, perch and blue gills. Strike indicators are used in fly fishing.

Your right drifter, we have come so far from the good old red and white bobber! But I am staying with "strike indicator" because it makes me feel cool an sophisicated. LOL

I am of higher standards and use a "strike indicator" and eggs! LOL
    Oy, that term has always made my eyes roll.

Default vibrax# 6

Vibraxs. Nothing else. Have caught a number of kings on them and won't use anything else. Except roe, when legal.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Oy, that term has always made my eyes roll.
    I have a good time giving hard core fly fishermen a hard time over that one. All that fancy gear, line, rods, etc......and they are using bobbers!

I have a good time giving hard core fly fishermen a hard time over that one. All that fancy gear, line, rods, etc......and they are using bobbers!

You know, I've never seen a fly guy cast one of those red and white things. Do you have to do anything special to keep them from flying off the line???? I guess you have to bring alot of them with you incase you drop your back cast too low causing your $$$$$ bobber to shatter on the rocks.

FishWheel. By far the most fun and productive method I have ever used to catch Salmon. Bonus sometimes when the Rainbows or Dollies get scooped up.

Default Favorite technique

I like to use eggs with just enough weight to get them down in the hole. I prefer this to the bobber and eggs method because I always feel I am floating the eggs over the fish, and can change elevation of the rod to control depth..I mainly fish Ninilchik and Anchor Rivers for Kings. I use a bobber (strike indicator :-)) on the kenai for silvers, but also like to use #4 vibrax for them, especially when there are no pinks around!!

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default tlingit fly

in main bay is one of my favorites for reds. love jigging for silvers in the saltwater from mid july through august, crippled herring or my 4 oz shads work well or casting vibraxes. trolling herring for kings in the saltwater is the best and they seem to be full of energy when they are hooked in the salt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bobber and eggs. I also love drift fishing with just a corkey and yarn, but bobber and eggs is just so good its hard to fish any other way.
    KLICKMAN

I like to drift fish for Kings because it takes more skill to make a good presentatin & detect bites. However, in slower moving water I prefer floating the candy. Drifting Vibrax spinners is also a lot of fun. Fishing plugs from a boat is my least favorite. This year I am going to try some bass techniques for Kings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast