Thread: Caribou Hills Moose

Cool Caribou Hills Moose

Does anyone have experience with the hills for hunting moose. I will be hunting with a buddy form Sterling and we are thinking of spending a few days at 'bou hills. Any info would be great!!

Default Caribou Hills

There are good moose numbers there and should be a lot more now with the burn and beetle kill. I know people who get moose there every year. I donít know where you are accessing the hills, but I have heard of at least one monster moose taken using each of the trailheads. Some people spot first with a plane but calling at the end of the season would be a lot more fun. There are also lots of brown bears there so be careful..in fact I wouldnt separate from your partner in that area. Good Luck.

Thanks Solly! I am not sure where we are accessing but my buddy's relative has a cabin in the area with 4wheelers. We will probably fly in and go from there! Thanks again. Please keep info coming people. Not looking for your Honey Hole! Just a general idea.

Default More info

Some more info: A cabin will be nice. I wouldnít go into that area and stay in a tent with all the bear activity. You will be 4 wheeling in several hours to any cabin as there is no way to fly in. If your relative hasnít hunted up there before he probably knows people who have and I would hunt where ever they have had success. Its hard to be successful in an area you are unfamiliar with but you could greatly increase your chance of success in there if you read one of the current Alaska moose hunting books advertised on this site. They would suggest the type of terrain to look for. Three areas people hunt up there are lakes, river valleys and the high country. There is quite a bit of cover in there so although some people have shot them off the 4 wheeler (not legal) you probably have to walk away from the noise to have success, especially calling. Also they now have 4 wheeler restrictions to days and times and locations you can ride in there so hopefully your relative has all the rules figured out. They used to be pretty complex. Hope that helps.

Wow great info Solly. Thanks so much! We would just the wheelers for travel and hunt hard and deep on foot. They have hunted that area for a long time but I was trying to get another perspective. The more knowledge the better. Thanks again.

Get up high and use good binoculars looking over the valleys. Expect lots of company - it's a popular area.