Thread: Nancy Lake?

Default Nancy Lake?

I am going to take the family camping for a day or two and I was wondering how is the fishing at Nancy lake? Is it a nice place to take the family? I am trying to teach my daughter, we are shore fishing.

My cousin just came back and he said even the park employees admitted there were no fish in the lake. You might get the odd pike but the pike allready got all the other fish.

Default wait

When you say 'no fish' do you mean they winterkilled or the pike ate em all up?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default pike in Nancy lake

I was there on Friday. No lures we tried worked so switched to bobbers and herring. that got things going. lots of pike. in weed beds and in shallow water with weedy bottom. you could cast from the shore near the PU dock and you'll get hits. your kid will like watching the bobber get taken for a ride.

I guess I don't consider pike "fish". My cousin didn't target the pike they ran luers and I think fireballs under a bobber for the kids and scored a big zero.

Smile Pike Caught on Lynx

Thanks to all who gave us advice on our trip to the Nancy Lake State Rec. area. We had a great time (though our canoe was a huge heavy lunker that was hard to portage). I caught a very large Pike during our lunch stop on Fraiser Lake (no gear to weigh or measure) using a Rapalla. I caught that one after just a few casts from a big bolder on the small point just outside the winding channel portage.

Once on Lynx lake all your advice came in spot-on. We used herring under a bobber and fished the weed-bed just to the left of the portage. We got a pike (all small-ish but fun) on just about every other cast. We caught them until we ran out of bait and then headed to Public use Cabin #1 (great place) for the night.

Thanks again for everyones advice and help on this trip!

Default pike

LOL, nice. Pike fishing is a blast. exspecially if you can get enough of them to make it fun for the kids. Sounds like you guys ahd a good time. grats
    Justin

this might help
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...ain.lakeDetail

"Species Present: Burbot, Coho (Silver) Salmon, Dolly Varden, Northern Pike, Rainbow Trout, Sockeye (Red) Salmon, Whitefish species"
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default No fish, but Pike

I took the family down there for a couple days of camping and fishing, it turned into just camping. After a lengthy discussion with the Camp Hosts and Park Rangers, I found out that none of the lakes there have been stocked the last couple of years. Most likely in attempt to starve out the Pike rather then keep feeding them. Thus everything listed on the state site of what is stocked in there hasn't been done in a while and is yielding little to no catches (other then Pike). If I would have known this in advance I would have gone prepared for Pike instead. The lakes I'm specifically referring to are North and South Rolly lakes and Nancy lake. Funny thing about "Anchorage" people, they were there too, and yes, thought they owned the place.

Pike are what I generally fish for at nancy lake but there are other fish there as well. My wife caught a nice trout there while fishing for pike this winter.

Default Why do you say "Anchorage" people

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaman00 View Post
    Funny thing about "Anchorage" people, they were there too, and yes, thought they owned the place.
    Are you slamming everyone who lives in Anchorage? you list Palmer as your home. Is every Palmer resident just like you? I suggest leaving your bias of residence at the door. maybe just say you met some rude people?
    just my opinion.....and yes I live in Anchorage....

[quote=LuJon;274671]I guess I don't consider pike "fish".
    Apparently you have never caught a big-un

me and a buddy went to Nancy 4 weeks ago and didn't even get a nibble...the water was upwards of around 50* so we figured the trout wouldn't be out...i'll have to head back and try for pike maybe...