Thread: Last questions on black bear hunt

Default Last questions on black bear hunt

Only a week left till the black bear hunt! Just a couple more questions before I get out there. I値l be hunting just west of Hope in unit 7 by the way. Sorry for all the questions, but I imagine lots of things go through most peoples head before they go to Alaska for the first time.

• I didn稚 see any requirements on blaze orange clothing. Does that mean I知 good to go as far as hunting in camo or is there an orange requirement I missed in the regs.
    • I知 unfamiliar with the sealing requirements. Is this similar to registering a deer in the Midwest. In other words can you do this at most local gas stations or do I have to track down one of a few special locations.
    • Can I get my hunting license and tags at most local gas stations and sporting goods stores?
    • Are the roads paved all the way to Hope? I知 taking Hwy 1 to the hope road then parking a few miles west of Hope near the campground. If the Hope road is not paved, are there likely any issues with rental cars or is it in good condition.
    • Are there any issues with parking along the side of the Hope Hwy if we decide to hunt a different area?
    • I read in the regs that the skull must be skinned with the hide for sealing. Does this mean that the hide (including claws) must remain attached to the skull?
    • When purchasing a non resident license, do I need anything other than a hunters safety certificate and drivers license or are there unique requirements? Maybe a silly question but I壇 hate to find out when I get there that I needed to bring something like my SS card.

Blaze orange is not required. although if I have any part of the animal hanging out of the pack, I like to throw something bright on it so other knuckleheads know its not a live animal.

As for sealing, bring out the hide (with claws attached, why leave them) and the skull. it does not need to be in the hide. both have to come out for sealing. Some taxidermy shops do sealing, otherwise you need to go to F&G to have it done. its not like the lower 48.

To purchase your NR tags, I'd go to fred meyers, sportsmans warehouse, etc. I know some gas stations sell resident licenses, not sure on NR.

I wouldnt worry about the road to Hope, its in decent shape, now park along the side of the road along the highway, the condition of the vehicle may be questionable. I've had vehicles with all the windows busted out when I got back to it. its a shame but the truth.

With your hunters safety card and D/L you will be fine to purchase your tags.

west of hope....on the east or west side of that big mountian that comes right into the campground?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'll probably check out the East side first, but if time allows we'll check out both sides. One thing that looks like a challenge is simply finding level ground to camp on. The campground there seems to be the only patch of level ground.

see below....
    Last edited by BRWNBR; 05-25-2008 at 08:28. Reason: i'm a idiot
    Master guide 212

i think level is an understatement, either i'm miss understanding where excatly your going...or you are. About the only place i can think of east of hope you could glass bears from is palmer creek road i think its called? i drove it once and saw about 6 or 7 trucks of guys going in and out changing bait and watching bait sites...so maybe that is a good spot, but judging from some other threads, hunting near someones bait is frowned upon...
    west of hope, you'll just have to glass the mountain, cause you won't go over it and you won't go around it...
    keep south in mind, the resurrection trail, shouldn't have hardly any foot traffic on it now but it'd be good access into some better country and less used.
    When you get to hope and feel a little overwhelmed and realize it wasn't all you thought it would be, keep cooper landing in your head as well, head to the local store and ask where the trail head is for Slaughter Gulch, thats some really good black bear country and has a trail right up into some high ground you can hunt, or the south end of resurrection creek/pass trail is another good access point. Both those are better than Hope in my opinion...best of luck to you, have a great trip!!
    Master guide 212

There is a trail that starts at the campground and goes around the point. Nice trail.

Smile Good Advice

JAKE....Kudos to ya! Thats a solid nugget of hunting info. With that he should be able to put something together with the right equipment, sweat equity, and know-how.

Now go-get-em!

I'll check that out. I have 8 days so should have lots of time. The original plan was to take the Gull rock trail West out of Hope for a few miles then head uphill for a while till we find a good spot to sit and glass. We'd probably camp in any level spot we can find. resurrection creek trail seems like a good bet too, a lot easier than the other plan.

• Out of curiosity, if I do decide to cut uphill from Gull rock trail, how high do I have to get before it opens up enough to do some decent glassing.
    • How high do I have to go before the snow will stop me from going higher.
    • Are the mosquitoes and flies out yet, or still to cool?