Thread: Trail Maps?

Default Trail Maps?

Hello everyone -

First off I don't currently live in Alaska, so if these questions comes across as ingnorant then I apologize.

I've been browsing through the ATV forum and it seems like there are tons of trails throughout the state. I've been searching for remote property to buy in the southcentral area and I often see trails on the aerial views.

Is there a map of the ATV trails in the southcentral area? Can you ride snowmachines on the ATV trails during the winter? Are there trails north of Fairbanks? Do the topo maps show the trails?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThriftyMcGriff View Post
    Hello everyone -

First off I don't currently live in Alaska, so if these questions comes across as ingnorant then I apologize.

I've been browsing through the ATV forum and it seems like there are tons of trails throughout the state. I've been searching for remote property to buy in the southcentral area and I often see trails on the aerial views.

Is there a map of the ATV trails in the southcentral area? Can you ride snowmachines on the ATV trails during the winter? Are there trails north of Fairbanks? Do the topo maps show the trails?

Thanks
    There are a few thousand miles of atv trails in the state but you have to understand that MOST of this state is unridable wetlands in summer. Most all trails are ridable by snowmachine in the winter and almost the whole state falls into this catagory. The Fairbanks and north area has FAR fewer summer trails than the southcentral region.
    The BEST trails in the whole state are along the Glenn HWY from Palmer to Glennallen.
    See if you can find a copy on the net of Alaska Wilderness Trails by Riley and Schachle from S&R Publishing. 23 trails going over hundreds of miles.
    I saw your posts in remote living and IMO having lived and riden over the whole state I would tell you to look for land along the Glenn Hwy or south of Glennallen. Stick with reasonable access to civilization by the road system while you decide if you want to jump into something REAL remote. You need more remote knowledge to prevent it from being a survival test. I lived in Fairbanks and north of there a few times and would SCRATCH the whole area OFF your list
    You are different than most guys trying this because you have enough $$$$ to jump right in and get a little cabin and a atv and snowmachine. Then have fun learning about going down alaskas trails.
    What year are you doing this? Short summers here- in 30 days each day will get shorter on it's way to winter