Thread: First black bear

Default First black bear

My cousin and I went out to his bait stand and knew he had been gettin some hits. We planned on spending the night in the stand and we were had only been sitting there for a couple of minutes when i spotted a bear coming in. He took his time coming in, while i on the other hand was fighting buck fever. He barely got to the barrel when i shot him with my cousins .06 about 25 yrds. It was 33 min from the time we started hunting to the time i shot, a personal time record for our family.
    We ended up staying the night anyways and made a nice camping trip out of it too. It was definently a fun experience and night to remember. Taxidermist figured he was in the 5 foot range. As far as the 2008 glasses goes, i found them in my backpack from graduation and figured, why not!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Great Job

Nice job, and nice bear! It's great when things come together on a hunt like that.

So you guys slept in your stand? How comfy was that? I have a climbing tree stand that's pretty comfy, not sure it be comfy for a full night tho! What were the overnight temps like?

So this was your first one! How bad was the buck fever, and how did you get through it? Nothing like that first animal!

Nice bear.

Thanks for sharing.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Congrats

Well done - Nice bear.

To mdhunter:
    Ya we slept in the the stand, it was bout 4 by 8, no railings haha, we braught a tent and sleeping bags, so with that it wasnt bad. The only problem we had was that well the tent hung over the edge bout 6 inches and i fell out, luckly my cousin held the tent on the stand and i was stopped before we both fell all the way off. haha i climbed back on and i was okay, cant say as much for the tent. Its definently just a bear stand tent now. It was definently an OH @#%moment haha.
    As far as the night temps go it wasnt bad, prob round 40's. I had a heavy bag though.
    Regarding the buck fever haha , well ive gotten other big game animals before and this case of the fever wasnt as bad as ive had in the past, but i got the typical heart pounding and shakes lol. LOTS of deep breaths and tellin myself to knock it off haha, didnt work so well but it all worked out. But ya i was happy with it for my first one!

any other visitors to the bait during the nite?

Thumbs up

Wow, what a great story and great pics too...congrats guys!

Geoff, thats pretty funny! More unidentified human bait visits than bear visits for many this year! lol!

Default Nice Job!!

Congratulations!! On graduating and your first black bear.

um ya we had another hit while we were taking care of my bear. And another one came in that night and woke us up, huffing at us. But we never got a look at it, it was to dark.

My poor tent!!! Nice post, talk with you when you get back.

Nice bear -- given those sunglasses it looks like the bear had been up all night partying

Default Congrats

I think the glasses add a nice touch. You will have grandkids one day and they will talk about their grandma's wild younger days while looking at the picture.

Congrats on a fine bear, and a nice sleep in the bear stand.