Thread: North River O/S or Boulton Explorer

Default North River O/S or Boulton Explorer

Hi guys,
    I'm purchasing a new boat and narrowed it down to the North River O/S and the Boulton Explorer. I will be using the boat in South East Alaska and eventually guiding out of it. Both boats are in the same price range, but the Boulton has more "bells and whistles" (air ride seats, 48' sleeper seats, and 2nd Helm w/Hydraulic Steering)
    Deadrise
    North River 20/55
    Boulton 16/34
    Fishing Deck
    North River 8x8'6 w/ aluminum floors
    Boulton 7x6'6 w/ treated wood floors w/ marine vinal
    Dimensions
    North River 24x96
    Boulton 24x84
    Fuel Tanks
    North River 120
    Boulton 100
    Power
    North River Yamaha 225 w/ 6 year warranty
    Yamaha 9.9GPLH
    Boulton Honda 225 w/ 5 year warranty
    Honda 9.9
    Any advice or suggestions would be great
    Thank you

just by looking at the dimentions you gave and the fact that you are going to be guiding out of it i would go with the north river. the wood will be replaced in a couple of years and as wit aluminum gets covered with fish slime easily, but aluminum will not hold the smell and is easier to wash off. the NR has more room and is wider which makes it ride the seas a little better, but i would suggest having a washdown pump installed to make getting rid of the slime that much easier. and with a little more elbow room for the guest it will fish a little easier. you have a 20 gal more fuel with the NR, better warranty, may not have all the bells and whistles but i would go with the north river, you can install or upgrade to sleeper seats. i donot have air ride seats in my boat and yes they are nice but a little less speed and you will not need them. both have the same motor but not the warranty. which 1 year is alot and may save you money in the long run. 2nd healm would be nice but do you ned it? i have run boats with a fly bridge and it was nice but if it does not have a fly bridge then why would you need one? i have no problen moving 10' to get to the controls. even running my boat alone i have no problems docking or launching from the control center. my final choice would be how the service and how you were treated while you were looking. if it is that close for you, which is all it comes down to. hope you enjoy your new boat and post some pictures when you get it. jeff

North Rivers are nice boats, and I think your listing give you the answer--North River. If the Boulton was significanlty cheaper, then it would be different, but personally, I would go with the North River.

Steeper deadrise will make the NR tippier when anchored, shouldn't make much difference when trolling.

This may not be so good for clients that might be prone to seasickness.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
    Steeper deadrise will make the NR tippier when anchored, shouldn't make much difference when trolling.

This may not be so good for clients that might be prone to seasickness.
    I bet the extra foot of beam will make up for the extra 4 degrees of dead rise plus increase the size of the fishing deck.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default northriver

bigger boat means more room and happier clients and skipper. with the wider beam it will not be tippier then the boulton ill bet.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default not sure

if the factory warranty applies if you are running these motors under commercial circumstances. maybe different warranties? id definatley question this.

we have a 27 foot Aurora(boulton) and love it. BUT, if it were for charter use, i would have to have the extra foot wide. And it does tend to pound a lot in chop. I've always thought about my next boat, and it will either be a NR offshore or go all out with a glaciercraft. An extra foot makes a world of a difference.

From what I've seen, this is no contest. I highly doubt that the boulton, with the wood floor, is self-bailing. Once you've had a self-bailing aluminum deck on a fish boat, you are ruined for life, and the NR has it. The pedigree/lineage of the North River is very, very good - it is derived directly from Almar's sounder hulls, and that is a hull design that is deservedly well thought of. Don't sweat the lack of suspension seats on the NR - it won't need them...

Default North River it is!

My wife and I pulled the trigger on the North River.
    Thank you guys for the advice. I just wanted to see if I was missing something between the two. Again thanks for replying.