Thread: Snagging in Seward

Default Snagging in Seward

Does anyone know if people are snagging in Seward yet. If not what are the best fishing options over the weekend without access to a boat. Thank you.

usually there are kings in the snagging hole in homer but snagging may not be legal yet, they do hit on green flies and spinners. there may be a few kings in seward right now and people will be working for there fish. i have always ended up with kings on the holiday weekend. just depends on how far you want to drive. my bet would be you may have to work at it but you will come home with a fish if you have patience enough. jeff

Thank you for the info. We 'll being staying in seward? Do you have any suggestion on the lakes in that area? Gracias.

lost lake and grayling lake do pretty well, there are lakes all along the seward highway that have decent fishing, but when i goto seward salt water is on my mind even when i do not have a boat. you could always take a short drive to the kenia river or lake. but be prepared to see others searching for the fish also. lakes should be some what less crowded. hope i have helped but not to sure on many of the lakes near seward. jeff

Just make sure to try getting the fish to bite first. It is easier to catch a fish that is willing to bite that it is to hit a fish with a hook.

I have seen this twice very well myself. Once I was in Seward and the boat harbor was full of silvers. There were two guys snagging and there was three of us sharing two poles, one with a pixie the other a Vibrax. In 2 hours we landed nearly 60 silvers and the two guys snagging just got their twelve. We reeled in a silver on nearly every single cast. If we missed a strike we could just keep realing and another fish would hit.

The other time I was at the Homer spit pond and it was full of Kings. I spent a couple hours snagging and did get a couple scales but only ended up messing up my reel. Baitcasters are not meant for snagging. I gave up and went back at dusk and caught eight kings on Kwik-fish in about 2 hours.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Hi RMiller,

What time of year was that? the 60 silvers?

please say it was before august 2nd or else Im gonna have to change my flight.

Likewise, I've enjoyed more than one occassion where I was the only person casting lures or bait and managed to put the snaggers to shame -- including at Seward.

However, I've also been in situations where the fish had lockjaw and the snaggers were the only folks producing.

It's best to bring an arsenal of various gear, so you're prepared for whatever circumstances arise.

As a side note, I'm a bit perplexed about the claim of catching kings on kwikfish in the Homer Lagoon. The technique must have been to simply cast and retrieve since there usually isn't enough current for plunking unless fishing the tide change at the jaws. Details on the method at this location?

No it wasnt before august 2. It was more like October 2.

We were taking a walk down at the boat Harbor killing time before we flew out to go deer hunting. We saw a couple jump and my buddy Dave says "those are silvers". I said "I think I have pole in my truck". Turned out I had two rods in the back of my truck and the two lures. One rod was a closed faced spincaster that I had since I was 10. The snagging guys only had snag hooks.

---

With the Kwik-fish at the spit pond I waited until dusk which was around 11PM. I stood straight across from the opening just about dead center of the pond on the road side and would only cast about 20 or 30 feet. No long casts. I keep the rod tip high so the lure did not go very deep. I have done that technique twice there. Once when snagging was open July 2nd I believe. That is when I got eight kings from 11pm to about 2:30 am. The first time I tried it was around June 23rd and my wife and I both caught a couple Kings each that night we fished from midnight to like 4 in the morning.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

ive been snagging several times in the last few days. we have done ok but not really well. only a few fish are being caught.

Dont forget that little creek, river at the end of the bay. The road right past the pit bar (is it post?) goes around the bay. Turn left if going into seward, right if coming out. Drive about 2 miles and look for a sign that says "fishermen parking". Park and pay the lot fee, then go snag. (must be past a marker to snag before that you are in the creek and must use a lure.)

There is nothing wrong with snagging if it's legal to do so. The anti crowd can not snag if they wish. When it's legal and you are filling a freezer go for it.

That creek should heat up anytime now. First reds, then silvers.
    Good luck.

You're thinking of Nash Rd.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."