Thread: my first bear

Default my first bear

I've heard a lot of stories about guys having trouble with people messing with their baits or setting up right next to them but I've been fortunate because I've had a great time without any issues. The bait has been getting hit a lot here lately and I was luckly enough to harvest a nice bear on the 3rd night of hunting.

So there I was sitting in the stand going thru all my gear and then I hear a crack and I figured it was another squirrel because if I didn't know better I'd think they were trying to rally the troops and over throw my stand becuase they are occupying with force! But when I peaked over the railing there he was starring at me with the expression of...."ugh....excuse me buddy, but I'm pretty sure you're at my station"

I was wanting to harvest him with the bow but if I would of tried to get the it off the ez hanger he would of spooked for sure so I grabbed the 44 and and made a good shot at 25 yards. He didn't make it 20 yards before he piled up and it was all said and done at 7:00 PM

the bear taped out at 5'6 with a really nice coat

Big Lake

congrats on your first bear and you told the story even better, highlights, to the point then stories don't need to be drug out forever, you nailed it!! with a handgun even, thats pretty cool!!
    Master guide 212

Default Fine first bear

Eagle River, AK

Right on! Thanks for sharing.

Great job man! Good call on using the handgun, hard to get the bow into action when they know you're there.

Great thanks for sharing.

I was into squirrels big time when I would moose hunt around Fairbanks. That place definately has a large squirrel population.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".