Thread: Ruger angled stock screw.

Default Ruger angled stock screw.

With regard to the ruger stock and angled screw mount. WHy does it cause a problem? ie, crack stocks in larger calibers, and what can be done, other than bedding to negate it? Just curious

Default Ruger angled stock serew

I haven't played much with bedding a Ruger as I have many other rifles but i can see some potential problems. Using the screw to put tension on the recoil lug is two directions - down and back - required some pretty close tolerances so it doesn't bottom out in one direction before the other and leave either the bottom of the receiver or the back of the recoil lug in less than optimum contact against the wood. If the recoil lug is not pulled back against the stock then the rear screw is going to be put in a bending moment from the rearward force of the front screw.

The angled screw pretty much prevents pillar bedding as is quite popular for accuracy reasons also but I've had seeral M77s that shot well out of the box.

The only other rifles that come to mind that use angled screws are the P14/1917 Enfields and the Ruger No. 1 forearm screw. The rear action acrew on the Enfields are angled for some unknow reason; I do know the Enfields are prone to splitting stocks at the tang. The No. 1s have their won issues with bedding of the forearms but a bigpart of that may be the two piece stock design.

Quote Originally Posted by 35gibber View Post
    With regard to the ruger stock and angled screw mount. WHy does it cause a problem? ie, crack stocks in larger calibers, and what can be done, other than bedding to negate it? Just curious
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default angles

I haven't had any trouble with splitting, but sometimes the action will "settle in" with time and cause the angled bolt to come in contact with the wood. When that happens, accuracy goes south almost instantly. Easy fix to enlarge the hole with a rat tail rasp. Takes about ten seconds after you remove the action from the stock, and the gun will shoot like new again after treatment. It doesn't happen to all 77's but any time one is not shooting up to parr, that's the first thing I check before going any further with bedding changes or even load development.

With regard to the ruger stock and angled screw mount. Why does it cause a problem? ie, crack stocks in larger calibers, and what can be done, other than bedding to negate it? Just curious
    Thats not the screw that spits the stocks... its the tang screw. Ruger usually fits that part of the stock rather tight. When you tighten down the back screw too much on the larger calibers the recoil splits the handle behind the tang like a wedge.
    Two ways to prevent it without bedding. 1- take the receiver off and file/dremel it out a little so it doesnt fit so tight, then don't crank down that back screw. 2- replace the wood stock with a synthetic one.
    the trouble with the angled screw comes with bedding. It isnt that big of an issue, it just isnt a square 90 degree lug like most other rifles.

I once pilfered one of my then favorite 77's because the accuracy mysteriously "went south". I wish I knew then what I know now. That gun went south so fast that I'm sure that BrownBears diagnosis and remedy could have saved that one. To late for that one but since most of my rifles are 77's thats some valuable info! Thanks for the tip!

Come to think of it my son was questioning the accuracy of his 77/243 last winter. Its an old timer thats well used. I think I'll go pop it out of the stock and have a look see!

This has a vary familiar ring, wonder if it might have to do with my accuracy going south quickly also? I'm thinking these M77's need good bedding.

I gotta admit I've never got around to bedding any of my 77's after ratting out the angled scew hole a bit. They all shot good enough for my needs, including a 220 Swift for sod poodles way out there. If you've bedded rifles before, it's not that big of a deal, so it wasn't like I was afraid to take it on. Lazy is another matter altogether!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

EKC:
    I thinkin along the same lines. My wifey's Ruger don't hardly shoot accurate no-how.

Thanks, Brownbear, and Northern.

I shall check those two possibilities.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

A definite yes with the 243! Upon close examination there was even a hair line crack from set back at the rear tang. I rasped out the front lug screw hole and then glassed the front lug and rear tang! I just popped it out of the stock and cleaned it up! I also wore out a bore brush cleaning up the hole what the bullet slides through!

Will take it to the range today to see where I'm at now!

Default let us know!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    A definite yes with the 243! Upon close examination there was even a hair line crack from set back at the rear tang. I rasped out the front lug screw hole and then glassed the front lug and rear tang! I just popped it out of the stock and cleaned it up! I also wore out a bore brush cleaning up the hole what the bullet slides through!

Will take it to the range today to see where I'm at now!
    I won't even bet on "sure things." Even so, in my experience, the work you have done will pay off big time!

Since I didn't shoot the gun on paper before playing with it there will be no before and after story......just the after. Shooting Hornady 70gr soft points it will now shoot inch and an eighth 3 shot groups ( average for 5 three shot groups).

Hardly a tack driver by todays standards but for a 30 year old coyote hammer it ain"t half bad! We'll keep it!

Interesting enough, I never got that particular bullet to shoot as well as yours in any of my 243s. Best for me was when you get into the 80-87 grain range, with the Sierras, either HP or spitzer shooting noticeably tighter than any others. We're talking a Rem 788, a Model 660 (or was it a 600?), a 700, a M77 and a #1. That's a pretty broad range of rifles. Have you tried any in that weight range?

I started shooting these 70 grainers way back in the late 70's in this same Ruger 77 when it was new. This gun still wears the same old straight 6X Redfield that I put on it when I got it!

The notes in my Hornady 2nd edition manual say that these 70 grainers "group good". I can't begin to remember what I considered good way back then. However this rifle has been fed a steady diet of them pushed behind 49 grains of IMR 4831 since day 1. This old rascal has killed as many red fox and coyotes as any one gun that I know of in these parts but then its had lots of chances too. I can't remember ever shooting anything else in it nor can I remember ever messing with (rezeroing) the scope. I just killed stuff with it!

A month ago I bought another one just like it off gunbroker. This recent one is in mint condition even though it was built in 1977. The stock even has some figure in it. Since my son has cabbaged onto the old one this pretty one will get put right to work as my spot and stalk/calling gun. I am gonna give this recent one the same going over that I just gave the old one. Since I still have a thousand of these 70 grainers sitting on the shelf I'm going to give them a go again as well only I am going to try H414 this time around. We'll see, each gun is different and this new one may not shoot these little bullets worth a poop. If not I won't be long in switching, only I was thinking of going the other way and trying some polymer tipped light weights. Time will tell!

Default Thread Marks, and High Hopes

I have some "thread marks" on the back side of the front stock hole.

I have high hopes that I can improve accuracy on her rifle now.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I have some "thread marks" on the back side of the front stock hole.

I have high hopes that I can improve accuracy on her rifle now.

Smitty of the North
    Let us know how it turns out, whether here, or a new thread. I'll be looking for the results.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Since I didn't shoot the gun on paper before playing with it there will be no before and after story......just the after. Shooting Hornady 70gr soft points it will now shoot inch and an eighth 3 shot groups ( average for 5 three shot groups).

Hardly a tack driver by todays standards but for a 30 year old coyote hammer it ain"t half bad! We'll keep it!
    Nice results for an afternoons worth of tinkerin.
    Get rid of the Ruger trigger and I'd bet that group gets even smaller! I have a Timney on my .338, and will be puttin one on my new .243 as well. It breaks great at 2 1/2lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern View Post
    Let us know how it turns out, whether here, or a new thread. I'll be looking for the results.
    Will do.

I won't be able to get to the range for awhile.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default Mighty Fine

Walsir, it turned out Mighty Fine.

I got a group of just over an inch at 100 yards using the Weaver K4 scope. Before the shots were 4 or 5 inches kinda, all over the place at that range. I hadda shoot at 50 yards to to know it was sighted in.

Thanks to Northern, and Brownbear, who told us about the stock screw thingy.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Walsir, it turned out Mighty Fine.

I got a group of just over an inch at 100 yards using the Weaver K4 scope. Before the shots were 4 or 5 inches kinda, all over the place at that range. I hadda shoot at 50 yards to to know it was sighted in.

Thanks to Northern, and Brownbear, who told us about the stock screw thingy.

Smitty of the North
    Good news! Glad it worked out for you! I was going to be real surprised (and kinda embarrassed) if it didn't.