Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tie a glo bug yarn fly

Default How to tie a glo bug yarn fly

Here is a little video I made of tying a glo bug yarn fly.

The main lesson here is just how to get the yarn to fluff on the hook.

Using this technique there is a million kinds of flies you can do.

You could start you fly with some kind of tail.

You can put hackle in between the first ball of yarn and the second.

You can trim the yarn into nice little balls with your scissors.

You can just do one ball

You can mix yarn colors.

You can put hackle or a tuft of white marabou on the head or you can come up with your own variations.

--

In the video I used four pieces of yarn the length of the hook shank.

I tie the yarn all together on the same side of the hook so there is more yarn on one side of the hook. I like to have the hook gap as free from yarn as I can get it. If there is too much yarn in the gap of the hook I will trim it with my scissors as the yarn does have the tendency to evenly go around the hook.

I prefer to have a messing looking bit of yarn because it looks like an egg cluster.

I am also going to show another step I use in another video as this is how I start the "Marks egg cluster fly".

So stay tuned.

Ron

Last edited by Brian M; 05-29-2008 at 00:29. Reason: making video inline
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I used to really love fly tying. One of the hardest flies for me was the GLO BUG! The two things I found to be the most helpfull were kevlar thread and really good scissors.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

nice video....but man alive that's a lot of knot tying and a lot of hand movement for one fly. Gonna end up with arthritis if you already aint got it lol. Really doesnt need to be so labor-some! Either way it works.

Show me the better way I am all for it.

I can..simple and quicker. The fella to learn it from is down in Anchortown. Used to commercially tie for a number of years, has now retired and basically fish's fish's and more fish's lol. He'll be up here next week. Just another way to fry an egg however it's much quicker and much much easier. I'll see if I can't get something together. I leave to run a charter boat here in a few days...not to mention I need to pack everything I own as I'm moving out (long story short divorce). So if I dont do it now, hound me in september. If you've ever bought flies at mt view you've likely bought some of his.

I may be able to figure it out from a description.

I have probably only bought about 12 flies from stores since I learned to tie at twelve years old 25 years ago. Six of them where bulk pack mosquitos 3 for a dollar at Freddies, none from mountain view, sorry.

I can tie them in about 10 seconds flat. The trick is to get that Mcfoam stuff. WAY easier than regular glo-bug yarn.

Pick your colors and lay out a strand long enough for 4 or 5 flies. Tie a thread base on the hook, then tie the bundle of yarn on top with 5-6 tight wraps, throw on a half-hitch or two or three. Pull the yarn back and tie off at the hook-eye. Then you just have to cut the foam-yarn in a half circle and fluff it around the bottom of the hook. easy-cheesy. Might take a little extra trimming to get it just right.

That sounds worth looking into.

Do you have to do the procedure twice like with glo bug yarn, or can I just put a big wad of it on a 3/0 hook at one time?

I can tie a trout sized glo bug very fast if I am racing I suppose but on a larger Salmon sized fly I have to put two sections of glo bug yarn on to get the amount of material I want.

Just tie it on top one time. You can stack colors for spots and whatnot (or just go garcia).

If the yarn doesn't squish together well at the bottom of the hook I just work the two edges of the yarn together with my scissors, and use a few less wraps on the next one in line. Never had one come apart that wasn't mangled by fish. The trick is to get nice tight wraps, but not to build up too much thread which will keep the bottom from melding together...the fish prolly don't give a rip though...Once you get it down, very little trimming is needed, usually just a little at the bottom.

I've used the regular yarn and it drives me nuts....way too much work and dulls my scissors.

EDIT: on the procedure...after tying the foam on top, I pull the yarn up and do 3 tight wraps around the yarn (like a parachute fly) before whip-finishing.

Thanks for the video! u are a good fly guy for sure! wish to have many of my own after this!

Ray
    Semper Fi!

try looking for glo bug ROPE not yarn for your larger flies like fat freddies and klutina king killers. You may need to split a rope into a half length wise and add it to the original piece you're using to give it even more bulk and make it more dense depending on how big you want/need it. Mine are definatly not as good (tight) as marks but they work none the less. He does the same method much gooder then I can.

In a nut shell. Mine's quick but not 10 seconds quick. I hate the blasted things fishing and tying. But I do tye and do use them from time to time.

for a globug

Take a bundle (rope or yarn). The trick for me, have a good thread base. Tie it on tight laying it lengthwise on top of the shank. Now lift up the ends and wrap on the base as if doing a parachute at the base, on top of the hook shank as tight as you can without breaking the thread. The main reason some of the synthetic threads are nice for this application, they are unlikely to break here. Tighter the better. Now cut the top in a arch (not so much a half circle) and fluff to the bottom.

To tie off I use and prefer a whipfinisher. Materelli style. This way you can hold it up and back and still tie on a good knot in front before you trim the egg to its final shape without standing on your head, holding your breath with your eyes shut. Then hit it with your cement if you so desire either on your knot or from below (it'll seep into it and the base of your egg). Dont get to crazy or it'll lock things up to much and your egg wont fluff around. Really pretty rare if it's tied well that I destroy a fly because I dont use glue, especially an egg pattern. I do like to cement my king flies, however usually dont on these.

Really it's the same for a globug as it is for a fat freddy or klutina king killer. The only thing different is size. The more yarn you use and tighter you wrap those base threads the better its going to bulk out and down for you.

This link has even gone to far I think. It does do a nice job though on trout sized globugs. Just wasted time by splitting it into 4 and cutting it twice. Sorry to many years commercial tying. I enjoy tying, hate wasting time doing it.
    http://www.akflyfishers.com/fom_Globug.html

The key to tying the big flys is to make sure you're using rope and not yarn. You'll immediatly see the difference. I tie fat freddys on 4 and 5/0 gamakatsu's. I'll use 1 1/2 pieces of yarn per fly. I believe Mark uses a bit more then I do. Eithe way it's much faster then what you're doing with a ton less knots. And if it were me i'd pick up the materelli whipfinisher. You can tie one knot much faster then you can do 3 halfhitches without trying to go to the races, so in a fly where you're tying off 2 3 or 4 times, you're saving a lot of time at the bench.

Excellent info guys.

I do tie them a little faster than what the video shows but I dont need to go too fast as a dozen of these will last me two seasons. Plus I wanted guys to be able to see each and every step. I do own a couple whip finishers but I figured why have an extra tool to grab for a little demo. Plus when my fingers dont want to move much the whip finisher does not do me any good.

Take a look at the forum tips section for info on embedding youtube videos right into the thread. I did so with this one.

Default Thanks Brian.

That is cool. I did that with another video on here but I dont know how.

Default Does a well tied fly really work that much better?

I just take a length of yarn, tie it on the line just above the hook with a square knot and start fishing. Absolutely no finess at all.

Maybe your good flies work better? I'm not saying they don't, they likely do...but I catch fish my way. Never fished for kings that way...but caught a lot of silvers.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

They work lots better plus they look better.

Your yarn is do do.

It is a glo bug it is not a hunk of yarn. When I want a hunk of yarn on a hook I do the half hitch under the egg loop but I dont call it a fly.

sorry the last paragraph should be 1 1/2 pieces of rope for large flies, not 1 1/2 pieces of yarn. Huge difference.

Smile yarn flies

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    They work lots better plus they look better.

Your yarn is do do.

It is a glo bug it is not a hunk of yarn. When I want a hunk of yarn on a hook I do the half hitch under the egg loop but I dont call it a fly.
    That's kind of what I thought. A hunk of yarn is a hunk of yarn...but a fly looks better.

I put in under the egg loop too, if I have one.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

I have always been a big fan of the McFLYFOAM. It seems to tie up a little eaiser and is a little softer.

Default +1 for McFly foam

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    I can tie them in about 10 seconds flat. The trick is to get that Mcfoam stuff. WAY easier than regular glo-bug yarn.

Pick your colors and lay out a strand long enough for 4 or 5 flies. Tie a thread base on the hook, then tie the bundle of yarn on top with 5-6 tight wraps, throw on a half-hitch or two or three. Pull the yarn back and tie off at the hook-eye. Then you just have to cut the foam-yarn in a half circle and fluff it around the bottom of the hook. easy-cheesy. Might take a little extra trimming to get it just right.
    In McAfee's one day, he recommended this foam before steelhead season.
    I was skeptical, but it is true. Easier to work and better results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast