Thread: Fishing from Canoe off Homer Spit for Kings

Default Fishing from Canoe off Homer Spit for Kings

I am heading down to the Homer Spit over the next week to fish for some kings and was wondering if it is worth bringing down my canoe to fish from. I'm not talking about fishing too far off from shore (for safety purposes), but something like 100-200 yards off from shore. I looked at the Nautical chart below. Any thoughts?

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16645.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
    I am heading down to the Homer Spit over the next week to fish for some kings and was wondering if it is worth bringing down my canoe to fish from. I'm not talking about fishing too far off from shore (for safety purposes), but something like 100-200 yards off from shore. I looked at the Nautical chart below. Any thoughts?

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16645.shtml
    I am so gonna pay close attention to this thread. I wanna do the same from a kayak...

I don't honestly think I would go in a canoe. A kayak though is another story. I have seen people row 8 foot inflatables out and catch rock sole and flounder.

with my experience in a canoe i would not do it. a kayak i would. a kayak will float when tipped over and all the canoes i have seen sink like a rock. this is no lake there are waves and current you have to deal with. do you think you would be able to swim 100 yards in the water? i doubt that i could. i fell off the dock in seward and needed help getting back on. the water on top may be warm but 1 foot down it is a total different temp. so in my opinion i would not rick my life in a canoe. but thats my opinion.jeff

Default safety is first

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    with my experience in a canoe i would not do it. a kayak i would. a kayak will float when tipped over and all the canoes i have seen sink like a rock. this is no lake there are waves and current you have to deal with. do you think you would be able to swim 100 yards in the water? i doubt that i could. i fell off the dock in seward and needed help getting back on. the water on top may be warm but 1 foot down it is a total different temp. so in my opinion i would not rick my life in a canoe. but thats my opinion.jeff
    I should add that I have stabilizer bars/floats, not saying it can't tip.. but it sure takes a lot to do it. I only go out if it's calm, with winds less than 10 knots. But until I can afford a boat, the canoe it is. Your advice is taken.

Now... are there fish to be caught near shore off the Homer Spit?

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post

Now... are there fish to be caught near shore off the Homer Spit?
    Yes. There are recent threads on fishing from the Spit and other surf-casting locales in the area. Sounds like you can mainly expect flounder, sole, perhaps some cod, and a halibut or two if you get lucky. As for kings, I would target the area close to the mouth of the fishing lagoon. I've seen folks casting from anchored boats and trolling back and forth right offshore there.

I seem to remember hearing about a couple of tourists who went fishing off of the spit in a canoe. They had some sort of accident and didnt make it back. Does any one else recall this incident. It was quite a few years ago.

Pretty crazy! With all the boat coming in and out of the Homer Harbor, you get a pretty good chop that builds up off Lands End. Put that with any wind and current and you'd better be sure your will is up to date. Off the end of the spit is the worst spot you could fish in a canoe. If you're serious about using your canoe and want to mess with the Kings, fish off the mouth of the fishing hole, or take the ferry to Seldovia and fish in the slough by the bridge.

Unless You Want To Meet The Coast Guard Rescue Team Up Close I Wouldnt Do It....to Many Boats In And Out......stay In The Front Of The Fishin Hole In A Kayak..canoes Belong On Lakes And Ponds......
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

No way would I do that. To much boat traffic and around the spit it's seems seems to be choppy almost all the time during the day.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I think I must come in with some help here.

I think he really just wants to know if its advantageous to fish about 100 or 200 yards off the spit for Kings.

Lets all pretend he's aquaman and if his canoe sinks, he'll laugh and swim to shore.

It is nice to see so many concerned though.

Default I Can Wait....

Please do a reality check on yourself...Pinch yourself or something! Or am I the only one that see's it this way? We have already seen the film about Treadwell. I would hate to see another one about another youth so foolishly wasted.

A canoe is not meant to be taken into salt water this day and age....

PM me if you can not afford to go out on a charter.....

Over and out,

D.F.

Default It works

I have fished for silvers a few times in my 17' aluminum canoe when I lived in Homer. I fished in front of the Fishin' Hole and up into mud Bay at high tide when the silvers were going way up into the "arm pit". I anchored out about 100-200' from shore and did well. It was also fun to drift and catch silvers. I never tried it for Kings

I would say that the only thing you need to worry about is boat wake and wind. If you can catch it on an incoming tide early in the morning when it is calm and fish in the cove right off the mouth of the hole, you might do OK. Don't forget your PFD!

I agree with Brian and Sayak. In front of the lagoon or in Mud Bay it is usually calmer. I would avoid the end of the spit on most days.
    Then again, in my younger days, we took our canoe in some pretty stupid places and survived.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Good advice

I'm happy to hear all the advice and it's much appreciated. I've done ocean fishing from my canoe many times, but I'm safe about it... like I stay close to shore, go when there is limited wind and when the sea is calm. It is helpful to hear that there is a lot of boat traffic and wake around the end of the spit. Thanks for the advice, I probably wouldn't try that area. But it does sound like it may be worth taking my canoe right outside the entrance of the fishing hole and put down my anchor and try for some Kings. Or I will just leave the canoe at home.

Default Who invented the canoe anyway?

Why would someone make a boat that just tips over?
    Just doesn't make sense.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Tippy?

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Why would someone make a boat that just tips over?
    Just doesn't make sense.
    Choose your canoe wisely.
    I've canoed the better part of 30 years and never dumped yet. I favor wide, stable freighter canoes like the Canadians use. The narrower, versions can be squirrely.