Thread: define bearproof

Default define bearproof

define a bearproof container for after scaling my catch. am i to understand a coleman cooler that locks is sufficant?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by JeepStew View Post
    define a bearproof container for after scaling my catch. am i to understand a coleman cooler that locks is sufficant?
    Well, this is easier than defining the word "is".

Here are some "approved" bear proof garbage containers for the Lake Tahoe area.

I could find no reference to a "bear proof cooler", but I can tell of a story:

In the late 60's Yellowstone was beginning work making campsites "bearproof". When camping in these "campsites", one was required to put their food in one of these locker-arrays that were "bearproof".

Dad did so, and as we were retiring for the night in a tent, we all saw the campsite next to us go to bed with their groceries on the picnic bench.

That night we all heard a bear tearing things up. After a while, a male voice was heard, "Hey, there's a bear out here eating your food." Dad replied in the dark, "No, that's the groceries of the idiot in the tent next door. He left his food on the bench".

The voice said, "Mister, this is the "idiot" next door. That bear is tearing into the lockers and eating your food."

It was true. That bear tore the entire locker array apart and had food spread from Hell to breakfast, and the family "next door" had all their food sitting in bags on a picnic bench undisturbed...............

When we went to Kodiak in the Spring, th charter service told us that the Adf&G guys had bear proof containers that locked and were really heavy. since we were already really close to our weight limit we opted not to use them. The bears there had not been turned into garbage bears and didn't touch our food. The foxes were a different story. Also, saw, some many years ago at Denali Park Headquarters, ones that were round and had a different kind of latch to close them. Coleman coolers are more like a lunch box!

Default the best thing I have done

was to seal food up tight in a dry bag. Ensuring that any food I touched I washed my hands before handling the dry bag. I have used this practice in the interior and coastal areas in Kenai Fjords. I have literally seen huge blackies walk right by my food bags without the slightest interest. Now, on the other hand, I have seen Afognak grizz literally eat plastic water bottles and a milk container that I had submerged in a lake. Mind you, those were not in an airtight container, but were under water. Go figure. I will also say from personal experience that plastic is like 'crack' for bears...

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    I will also say from personal experience that plastic is like 'crack' for bears...
    That's why we use steel gas cans for our boats at our flyout locations.
    Grizz love plastic gas cans.