Thread: Buying Land

Default Buying Land

What is the process for buying remote land in Alaska? How long does the process take from choosing the parcel to ownership? I want to get a small piece of land soon, nothing big, maybe 5 acres. I've looked at the various websites that list remote land for sale. What's the Yentna River area like as far as access/remoteness? What kind of boat do you need to get up the river?

Default Cash or credit?

Lot of variables involved in a land purchase.

You NEED to look at the lot. If you are serious about developing it, it is a must.

Is it owned by a local, easy & fast access to current owner? Or is the owner in Florida and everything is done via FedEx?

Is it a free & clear title? Gotta have a title search done.

Are you paying cash or going through the loan process?

If you are paying cash and have already checked out the lot you can ask for a fast "closing". The slowest thing will be the title search, but you can close in a week. So a couple of days to look at it, talk with the owner/agent and a week to close, figure 10 days.
    Getting a loan will add a couple of days, if you are a good risk.
    If the owner is outside, add a couple of more days.

A lot of different types of jet boats run up the Yetna. Reading the water is more important than what you are running. It can be remote as hell at times, especially the further you get off of the river. Summer time on the main river will have daily traffic. Find a fish guide to run you up there. There are lodges on the river.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    What is the process for buying remote land in Alaska? How long does the process take from choosing the parcel to ownership? I want to get a small piece of land soon, nothing big, maybe 5 acres. I've looked at the various websites that list remote land for sale. What's the Yentna River area like as far as access/remoteness? What kind of boat do you need to get up the river?

I was on the Yentna last week with two other guys in a 14 foot alum. with a 15 horse motor......it was too small for us and gear. With all gear and us in it, we were runnin about 9 mph, till we burnt er up. But, when we were in it without camp gear and just overnite stuff, it worked well getting upriver- very slow tho! I would suggest you get at least a 16 footer and 25 horse. Especially if you plan on using that to get stuff up river.

We had never ran the Yentna river before and didnt have too much a problem navigating, but we've ran lower 48 rivers before. I agree with bullbuster, get a guide if you have no river experience.

Default DNR

I've got a web site that would be a lot of help for you! I had your same Question and did some research and found this. http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/mlw/lands...e_recsites.htm
    This program is alot like the homestead program except you have to pay for the land. I am only 15 years old so i can't by any property yet so post again and tell everybody how the land buying gos

If you research the land available on the Yetna for staking through the state you will find that it's mostly the leftover stuff nobody wants or the access is too hard. I looked it over pretty good and wasn't thrilled with what was available.