Thread: Fuel Transfer Safety Questions

Default Fuel Transfer Safety Questions

I plan on hauling some extra fuel (gas) in some 33 gallon plastic drums that were given to me. what are the safety issues filling and pumping gas out of a plastic drum? Should I ground from the pump to the tank? I was wondering about putting a regular ground rod into the drum all the way to the bottom then grounding that to the tank. What do you think? What are the proper safety procedures here? Should I even be concerned with static electricity at all? I'd hate to blow myself and my boat up... or burn it up.

I do it all the time with 15 gallon drums and have never had a problem. They are plastic drums no. I have used these for years and never even thought of grounding them. I uses the siphon tube with the ball in the end so that I do not have to suck on it myself. I have seen them for sale at Sportsmans. I do not remember where I bought mine. Seems it was some time back in the 90's for riding snomobiles.

Default That's what I use

Quote Originally Posted by yukonPike View Post
    I uses the siphon tube with the ball in the end.....
    Be sure to use the one with the metal ball, the plastic balls gum up and get stuck in the tube.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default siphon tube

I have one of those too. It has a glass ball in it. Called " The super siphon" got it at Three rivers marine in Soldatna, it was only 11 bucks. The static issue with plastic gas cans is if they are sitting on carpet or something else that can be rubbed to create static and can't ground. Then you ground it with the gas pump. Thats why they say take it out of your trunk or car and set it on the ground.

Better yet, get two of the ball-siphons, then they flow about 15gpm so you don't have to stand around waiting so long. Also, pick up a plastic connector and about 10 feet of the same diameter hose in case you have a distance between your drums.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...