Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 20 Ammo?

Default Glock 20 Ammo?

I'll be in AK fishing late June this year and am planning to bring my Glock 20 along as a sidearm for bear protection etc. BTW it will be backup to a shotgun w/ slugs...I realize the glock is marginal for brown bears. I am just trying to gather opinions on what 10mm auto ammo readers on this forum would use if they had to for bear defense.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by COeyedoc View Post
    I'll be in AK fishing late June this year and am planning to bring my Glock 20 along as a sidearm for bear protection etc. BTW it will be backup to a shotgun w/ slugs...I realize the glock is marginal for brown bears. I am just trying to gather opinions on what 10mm auto ammo readers on this forum would use if they had to for bear defense.

Thanks in advance

Use Double Tap's 200 or 230 grain hardcast loads. Although they will not cause the wound channel a .44 slug will, they penetrate nearly as well with a wound channel you can insert a thumb into instead of two fingers like the 44.

According to Double Tap's owner the 200's will hit board # 22 in a baffle box stacked with 3/4" pine, and 25 with the 230's. They're very reasonably priced as well.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...x.php?cPath=25
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

Quote Originally Posted by LAK Supply View Post
    Use Double Tap's 200 or 230 grain hardcast loads. Although they will not cause the wound channel a .44 slug will, they penetrate nearly as well with a wound channel you can insert a thumb into instead of two fingers like the 44.

According to Double Tap's owner the 200's will hit board # 22 in a baffle box stacked with 3/4" pine, and 25 with the 230's. They're very reasonably priced as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just got some ordered.

LAK's got it right. I'm ordering some myself here soon.

Jon

Thumbs down G20

I also have a G20......First I switched the barrel to Lone Wolf SS for better ramps and case support.....then I switched the Rod/Spring to Wolff 22# and stainless rod........then replaced all my Mag springs with Wolff Spring for better feeding.

As far as ammo I use LBT 200gr with 800X powder......this works great on Black Bear.....but I would not carry my G20 in Brown Bear Country.

For Big Bear a 12ga Pump Ithaca 37 with Brennke Full size slugs for camping gun.
    Alaska

Default I carry the glock 20 in the woods

It is my only large caliber pistol at the moment. I use the Double tap 200grn hard cast and 230 grns hard cast. At the range the 230's were pretty accurate out to 25 yards, really accurate. The 200's were good too. They hit at 50 yards pretty well too. I am convinced obviously. Plus when others peoples guns are in the truck or boat mine is actually on me. I put a KKM 6" bbl on it with a stainless guide rod and stainless 20# spring. It weighs in empty and without the clip I think, can't remember for sure, but it was 2# exactly. Can't bee that compared to 44 or larger with same bbl. Actual chance of needing it for a charge is slim. But still have peace of mind. If possible I want to take a black bear with it this weekend. I wear it in a Alaska Sportsman Holster, from the dude in wasilla. BRING IT AND WEAR IT!

I don't doubt the performance you'll get with that ammo but how does the Glock like the cast bullets? Feeding is good and no lead build up at the mouth of the chamber? I have experienced that in other calibers of Glocks. Id' like to have a Glock 10 mm and run that type of ammo, just wondered how the Glock chamber likes the stuff. Thanks.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default After market barrel, but the factory is fine

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I don't doubt the performance you'll get with that ammo but how does the Glock like the cast bullets? Feeding is good and no lead build up at the mouth of the chamber? I have experienced that in other calibers of Glocks. Id' like to have a Glock 10 mm and run that type of ammo, just wondered how the Glock chamber likes the stuff. Thanks.
    Never fired the hard cast through the factory bbl. I wasn't to happy with the factory bbl. At the sportsman show I talked with the factory rep, was busting his balls actually and he set me straight. He said hard cast in glocks is fine. But the in the manual they had to write "no hard cast" to protect them from average Joe. He said clean it more often and use a good lead solvent and it is fine. He also said the bbl chamber tolerances are as tight as the after market bbls. Not sure if that was the sails man in him or not. I happy with my KKM 6" stainless bbl anyways. Just very interesting to talk to him. He also admitted that some glock 20's have blown apart with high power loads. He said that was years ago and only happened a few times. He said the glocks are guaranteed to for life so nothing to worry about. He also said all gun manufacturers have had some failures at some point anyways. I have put 200 rounds of the Double tap through so far and no probs. 170 with out cleaning and she cleaned up in a breeze with the Hoppes Elite. Looks like new. Bbl cleaned up even faster.
    He aslo claimed the hammer forged bbls are the most accurate on the market. I argued with him on that one and in the end he said I bought a good aftermarket bbl, but still wondered why I didn't get the glock factory 6" with the tenifer coating, He swore that is tougher than stainless in saltwater. Really you just couldn't win talking the guy but he cleared up alot of hear say I have read on the internet. Make any sence to you?

My G20's eat it up.... never had any issues. They are hardcast gas-checked, so the lead fouling you would find with traditional lead bullets is non-existent. I personally use a 6" Jarvis barrel in mine.... that tighter chamber and extra length bumps the 10 into solid 41 territory with DT Ammo. The Jarvis pipe uses conventional rifling so it's a non-issue anyway.

My wife's G20, on the other hand, has the stock pipe and it's been a gem as well. I spoke with Mike at Double Tap before I purchased these loads for the first time... wanted to check on the possibility of fouling in the Glock barrel. He told me he's shot TONS of these through factory barrels and never had an issue..... The hardness and gas checking do the trick. He recommended that, to be safe, I could clean the barrel after every hundred or so rounds of this type of ammo.

I've found that, although I do it to be safe, the 100 rd cleaning is probably way more frequent than necessary. I have not experienced any excessive buildup... the barrel condition is very close to that of FMJ ammo after shooting the DT lead. I expected much worse... it's nothing like traditional lead bullets.

Neither of my Glock 10's have ever had so much as a hiccup when feeding these. Although I'm not sure how many of these I've shot, it's more than a few and I've never had a problem, even in the match barrel with a tight SAAMI chamber. By tight I mean it's bare minimum SAAMI spec.

You won't have any problems with these loads... clean your barrel every 100 rounds, or 50 if it makes you feel better about it. It's probably not often that one shoots more than 10-20 of these at a time anyway... I do it once in a while just to stay familiar with what I carry. If you really have an aversion to shooting them in the Glock barrel there's always aftermarket offerings available. I wanted the Jarvis because they're a highly-regarded manufacturer, they offer a blued one doesn't reflect light, and they had them on the shelf (BarSto was 8-10 weeks out or something ridiculous like that). The tight chamber and added length generally push the velocities up 100 fps... up to 150 with some loads.

Go for the Glock... you won't be disappointed....

Here are my two 10's:

And a 10mm and 44 mag side-by-side:

I've shot a little bit of Double Tap 10mm... kind of like the stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

My G20's eat it up.... never had any issues. They are hardcast gas-checked, so the lead fouling you would find with traditional lead bullets is non-existent. I personally use a 6" Jarvis barrel in mine.... that tighter chamber and extra length bumps the 10 into solid 41 territory with DT Ammo. The Jarvis pipe uses conventional rifling so it's a non-issue anyway.

My wife's G20, on the other hand, has the stock pipe and it's been a gem as well. I spoke with Mike at Double Tap before I purchased these loads for the first time... wanted to check on the possibility of fouling in the Glock barrel. He told me he's shot TONS of these through factory barrels and never had an issue..... The hardness and gas checking do the trick. He recommended that, to be safe, I could clean the barrel after every hundred or so rounds of this type of ammo.

I've found that, although I do it to be safe, the 100 rd cleaning is probably way more frequent than necessary. I have not experienced any excessive buildup... the barrel condition is very close to that of FMJ ammo after shooting the DT lead. I expected much worse... it's nothing like traditional lead bullets.

Neither of my Glock 10's have ever had so much as a hiccup when feeding these. Although I'm not sure how many of these I've shot, it's more than a few and I've never had a problem, even in the match barrel with a tight SAAMI chamber. By tight I mean it's bare minimum SAAMI spec.

You won't have any problems with these loads... clean your barrel every 100 rounds, or 50 if it makes you feel better about it. It's probably not often that one shoots more than 10-20 of these at a time anyway... I do it once in a while just to stay familiar with what I carry. If you really have an aversion to shooting them in the Glock barrel there's always aftermarket offerings available. I wanted the Jarvis because they're a highly-regarded manufacturer, they offer a blued one doesn't reflect light, and they had them on the shelf (BarSto was 8-10 weeks out or something ridiculous like that). The tight chamber and added length generally push the velocities up 100 fps... up to 150 with some loads.

Go for the Glock... you won't be disappointed....

Here are my two 10's:

I've shot a little bit of Double Tap 10mm... kind of like the stuff:

Holy shtuff that is alotta DT!!! I gotta get me some sooon

Jon

Cyodoc, by now you must have figured either the Beartooth bullet 200 grns or the 200XTP would penetrate for your requirements. I have followed Mike McNetts studies in the past and the 200grn hardcast @ 1300fps penetrated in ballistic gel equal to the .44mag 325 grn @ 1300fps--something isn't it?

You have a 401" dia. vs 429"-431" both @ 1300fps but......I am still a strong supporter of not using the poly barrel but prefer the KKM 6" bbl for safety reasons even though some prefer to use stock. The chamber is tighter certainly and Lone Wolf if they ever get it off the ground will have out suspectably soon the 6" long slide available.

I went with a Heine/Dawson sight combo-sure is a wonderful sighting system, better than the stock plastic.

regards,

Question WHO SELLS Double Tap 10mm IN ALASKA

I Would Like To Try Some In My G20 Who Sells It?

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-D View Post
    I Would Like To Try Some In My G20 Who Sells It?

Haven't seen any distributors here. You'll have to order from them direct and it is pricey...

Pricey? I think for "factory loaded" ammo with premium bullets, they are quite cheap actually. Compare their prices to some of the other ammo manufacturers and they are usually quite a bit lower priced. Midway also sells Double Tap ammo........

Default Group buy

I started a thread for a group buy a while back. A guy from on here took over and did all the calling and hassle. He is military and got us a break on shipping. 1000 rounds total and came out to $25 a box I believe. The cheap junk at sportsmans, blazer, is $22 a box. The double tap is far better plus hits pretty good in the palm. You know you are shooting a much better load. Most of us went for the 200hard cast and 230hard cast. His hard cast is gas checked in my gun easy to clean up after. 170 rounds before I cleaned shooting his stuff. Not a problem. I am sold. I like it. I use it. Just gotta love the stuff. Try and do another group buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    Pricey? I think for "factory loaded" ammo with premium bullets, they are quite cheap actually. Compare their prices to some of the other ammo manufacturers and they are usually quite a bit lower priced. Midway also sells Double Tap ammo........

I only meant pricey because of the shipping to Alaska not the individual rounds. I love the rounds and they are reasonable.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Flintlock! Shipping ammo right now to nearly anywhere has gotten very pricey! I have taken game with Double Tap .338 win mag ammo, .454 Casull, and .44 mag and all of it has performed flawlessly! Very good ammo indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, Flintlock! Shipping ammo right now to nearly anywhere has gotten very pricey! I have taken game with Double Tap .338 win mag ammo, .454 Casull, and .44 mag and all of it has performed flawlessly! Very good ammo indeed!
    Not a problem Whitworth. It's a great company and they appear to be doing well and I hope so for the long-term. Now if we could only have a distributor here, we'd be in great shape!

Default handloads

dose anyone have any good recipes for there 10 mm for handloading

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast