Thread: Marine Stewardship Council Certificate

Default Marine Stewardship Council Certificate

How important is having this certification to the state? Well, if the state loses it, the European Union won't purchase Alaska salmon, and it may put a damper on European sport fish tourism. Right now the state is being audited by an outside agency to see if they are meeting the MSC criterion for sustainable fisheries. Failure to manage ANY of our fisheries for biological sustainability, not only in the fisheries involved but in the habitat, can cause the state to lose its certification- not just in the problem area, but statewide. So this audit will look at the Dept, the BOF, and the funding that comes in to allow the necessary habitat work to keep strong fisheries strong, and rebuild flagging fisheries. As an outside, independant audit, hopefully it will be able to see through the politics and user group conflicts and cut to the chase: how are the fish and their habitat doing now compared to 10 years ago, 20 years ago, etc? And how is the state responding to both strong stocks and weak stocks?

Default thanks

WFFF, Thanks for clarifying that. I asked almost every org. O could think of and everyone was confused. Now it makes perfect sense. Have a good one.

Default provide reference

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    How important is having this certification to the state? Well, if the state loses it, the European Union won't purchase Alaska salmon, and it may put a damper on European sport fish tourism. Right now the state is being audited by an outside agency to see if they are meeting the MSC criterion for sustainable fisheries. Failure to manage ANY of our fisheries for biological sustainability, not only in the fisheries involved but in the habitat, can cause the state to lose its certification- not just in the problem area, but statewide. So this audit will look at the Dept, the BOF, and the funding that comes in to allow the necessary habitat work to keep strong fisheries strong, and rebuild flagging fisheries. As an outside, independant audit, hopefully it will be able to see through the politics and user group conflicts and cut to the chase: how are the fish and their habitat doing now compared to 10 years ago, 20 years ago, etc? And how is the state responding to both strong stocks and weak stocks?
    WFFF - would you please provide a reference for the EU not buying Alaska salmon if the State is not MSC certified?

Default MSC and EU

Hi Nerka,

Sorry, its fishing/spring bear season. Took time out to attend the legislative task force hearing tonight, but not much time now to study the issues. As to the EU not buying Alaska salmon without the MSC endorsement, I can't verify that. I heard it and repeated it. What I was able to verify, though, is that it is a very valuable tool for selling Alaska wild salmon in Europe. Norway is selling massive amounts of farmed salmon, and there are many other competing sources of salmon. The MSC label give Alaska salmon an edge over the competing salmon in Europe, and adds a lot of value to the product. Thats basically all the time I could put into research on the issue. Bottom line, losing the MSC label would hurt the Alaska commercial fishing industry's marketing effort.

Overall, with the increasing public awareness about "knowing where youre fish comes from", there has been the movement towards "eco-labeling", but there is no mandate in the EU (or anywhere else) requiring such. I believe that in Europe, the trend has caught on more so than in other areas of the world...but wouldn't even try to guess what % of seafood sales are labeled. If we didn't have the MSC label, would EU buyers shy away from AK salmon? I don't know. There's already so much public awareness about farmed versus wild salmon -- and AK salmon is pretty much the major source on the wild side. There's no farmed salmon under the MSC label and plenty of that gets sold over there already.