Thread: From the Field ! On my Brown Bear hunt

Default From the Field ! On my Brown Bear hunt

Still in the field hunting brown bear. Only seen two small bears (6-7') the first day. Doesn't look good! Hopefully the rest of the season proves to be a tad more productive than the past 7 days? When screening my guide, I asked for your comments. Those who know him were bang on, "it has been quite an experience!" and it has been a very relaxing hunt! As I'm not sure who sleeps the most, the bears or my guide? Lucky for me I work in the restaurant indusrty, has come in handy when having to prepare most of the meals!
    Will post again at the end of the hunt and my return home.

Hey mc,

Tell Chris that Mike Moore said hello, and tell him that I never mentioned his aversion to cooking...

Good luck!

what a guide that sleeps on a brown bear hunt...never heard of such a thing!!...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Angry In self defense

I was just waiting for this day to arrive when i could say something about all these posts by Mcreg,first this hunt was cancelled and all moneies were offered back,all 1750.00,mcreg when he called back a week after the hunt was cancelled and said that he got his plane tickets and can come in on the 16th,i made sure that he was informed that it was a total crap shot.in in his brief bit what a piece of nuke his guide was he forgot to mentioned how we were got up at 4:30 am and coming back to camp at 9:30 and later, not all mornings did we get up at 4:30 but the latest we did get up was 8:30 and that was only once he also forgot to mention the average day in the field was 12hrs with some 15 and 16.on the day he wrote all from the field it was blowing 50/60 miles an hr.manged to find a couple kills one old and one still active but with a large sow and cub, the weather was not so hot only had a tad of sun and that was limited.we were hunting last night until 10:30 with 20/30 mile winds to were there were white camps on the nush and the slews.the totlal costs of this hunt was 3500.0 with a trophy fee of 3500.00. mcreg would only shot a 10fter,but that came down after a week.all posts made by Mcreg were ask to me and all answers were the same as other members here wrote back such as what rifle to bring(i told him the 375) as for the cooking when asked what would you like for dinner and am told one is not hunger well i a'int cooking,can you remeber first night in camp and i was cooking those new york steaks and trying to get the fire going and you jumped in and took over saying you get bored easily? i won't go into other comments unless mcgreg posts some more negs about me. and reg your welcome for me paying half you charter out of here.
    Last edited by gusuk1; 05-26-2008 at 16:03. Reason: mispelled

**** gusuk, it looks like you need to take a break. I didn't see where mcgreg was slamming you at all? At least that wasn't the impression I received. You might want to sit back and look at your comments towards mcgreg, if I were him I don't think I'd ever use you again! Maybe guiding isn't for you if you can't take the good with the bad....lighten up!

Default Akhunt

Your right,i should take it as lesson well learned,and that is no means no.and its your own dam fault for getting talked it to doing a hunt that that costs you.

and it shouldn't be on a public forum, you're only making yourself look bad. These forums are not for folks to take their frustrations out on each other. This is a private matter, leave it that way.

gusuk1,

Thanks for posting. It's always nice to get the other half of the story.

After fifty years in the guiding industry I can certainly see how "Gusik1" could take offense at the original post.
    Joe (Ak)

Akhunt,again you are right.although i am not the one that started this thread about me and my performance in the field.

gusuk,

I didn't see anything wrong with his post. He mentioned it being a relaxing hunt? What more could you ask for. It didn't look like he was bashing you, maybe hes just a bad typist like you!

Maybe you were BOTH just a little disappointed in the hunt...Thats ok, but dont take it out on each other

I would just hate to see this thread turned into a he said, he said post. I dont know either of you but it looked to me like he was just updating everyone on his hunt. Back away from the computer! ITS SPRING!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I also see how gusuk could take offense. the original poster basically called him lazy. I dont know either of the 2 parties.

I'm not a guide but you couldnt pay me enough to pamper folks in the bush and a always pull a 10footer out of my behind.

You know what they say about assumptions. I guess it's better to look at it from a positive side of things then to work yourself up over something you know is not true. It looked to me like he was putting a funny in there about bears and his guide. He says all the comments he got on his guide were right on? That too me sounded good, I cant see someone getting bad information and still going with that person. Come on guys your reading too much into it!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Sounds like a hunt

What can I say? Sounds like you guys had a hunt! McGreg, hope you're not bitter at the guide, if his side of the story is right. Sounded sort of sour grapes in an offhand way when you said you had to cook most of the meals and the guide slept a bunch. Not a ringing endorsement of a guide, if u ask me!

Gusuk, sounds like a nap would be a good thing. "Relaxing hunt." Could mean a lot of things- but when you're sitting on a hillside letting your glasses do the walking, that can be relaxing, for sure. A lot can be read into McGegs comments. From your response, it sounds like it was a less than perfect hunt. Keep in contact with the client, if you can salvage some good from the hunt, and if not, keep it civil with him, and move on to the next. If you're doing your job, and are a good guide, one sour hunt won't ruin your career. They happen.

Like huntress said, its spring! Summer's on the horizon- yay!

Default A hard one

i have to say that most repleys are right,and i should cool down,spring has not sprung fully here and could sure use it.i am kinda venting from some other postings about this hunt before it even started.

Default In from the field AFTER THE HUNT!!!

Read all the comments and just wanted to set the record striaght. My guide was Chris Carr from Portage Creek, AK. He is a resident guide and his knowledge of the area is extensive. What Chris says in his post is true, we did pospone the hunt twice and he suggested cancelling it the third time. It was I that said I still wanted to go- if I could another flight change? And Yes, I was holding on for a 10 footer, but what hunter doesn't want a big bear? Saying that I also realise it is a very tall order to fill. And as such I felt I hired a guide that knew the area intimately and could deliver. In saying that I felt he did, so I'm not sure why Chris feels like he has to defend himself. The man put in 15 -18 hr days trying to get me "my" bear. What more can one expect? My perspective is that because we were'nt successful he feels he failed in his responsibility. Wrong!! That's why it is called hunting not killing. Any seasoned hunter knows there are no quarantees. Only GOD controls the animals and the Alaska weather. But it does speak volumes of his character and what one can expect from him!
    Finally I want to make a public apology to Chris as he obviously took offense to my earlier post. It was indeed a very relaxing hunt and a most memorable experience. One I would recommend to anyone looking for such an advenure. As for the abundance of game? Although, we never had too many bear encounters, if your looking for moose, wolves or wolverine by all means give Chris a call. And as a side note he is on one of, if not the BEST, salmon rivers in the state.
    Thanks Chris

I love being right! hehe...(running a hiding now).........Now you two kiss and make up!

I just got done reading an article in Alaska magazine about Chris and his fishing operation seems like a good setup. Chris has always been informative and helpful when I have spoken to him. After a long unsuccessful spring griz hunt you might get a little punchy also.

I would hunt with him.

Default Sorry for jumping the gun

it was a dam tough season for me and there was no excuse for blowing up.although i got three phone calls same day as reading this post with nothing but bad news,to top it off had a 9fter come up from the boat launch and walk right through the yard the day after reg left, went to take some pic's,but won't ya know it i had dropped my camera in the drink on the hunt and it did not take to well to it.did get some tracks photo's with an older camera and just need to find the old cord to transfer.spring is sprung and getting revived doing yard work.