Thread: SE Takes another hit...

Default SE Takes another hit...

http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/newsreleases/2008/halibut052208.htm

Well, the 1 fish bag limit for halibut in SE is official now. Doesn't matter much to my freezer... non-guided anglers can still take 2 of any size. Sure hurts business though... $7500 in refund checks requested just today.

Be sure to tell every angler you see renting or chartering a boat not to kill the big spawners. The high-grading is already beginning, and bound to get worse. Actually, just tell every guided angler you see fishing for halibut that they should be fishing in Homer instead of SE Alaska... I'd rather see them take 2 50-60 lb. fish up there than taking 1 of the big females that they're hauling in here. It's probably much cheaper to fly to ANC and charter a boat with 20+ on it anyway... besides, you can take bigger (and more) ling cod and you can keep king salmon over 28" in August... seems like a much better destination than SE to me.

Happy Alaska Travels Everyone!
    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Case
    Looks like it's tme to move north.

Default Halibut limits

Your right it seems southeast gets the brunt of all the reg changes. It is tough to compete with the other areas with more liberal limits. When I see you in Elfin Cove a few rounds are on me @ Coho's.
    I guess we will have to go to the fairweather grounds. Is that still considered southeast?

Case,

We adapt. That's my theory.

Last year I laid down my gun when I saw that the deer populations were in turmoil. I didn't need the state to tell me so... I know what I saw.

The dollar is a very weak fighting platform. What you can gain in a banner year can be lost in the very next.

Do you believe that people should be able to harvest it all and leave nothing for posterity? If ADF&G allowed you 5 over 20 lbs per day per client.... would you turn it down, or would you celebrate?

My opinion is that if they upped your limits, you'd call them "smart."

Money is not the issue - management is.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default Large Halibut

It seems to me that a one fish limit would motivate anglers to take the largest fish possible to fill their freezer. I do advocate the release of the Spawners. Are those fish over 100 lbs?

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/newsreleases/2008/halibut052208.htm

Well, the 1 fish bag limit for halibut in SE is official now. Doesn't matter much to my freezer... non-guided anglers can still take 2 of any size. Sure hurts business though... $7500 in refund checks requested just today.

Be sure to tell every angler you see renting or chartering a boat not to kill the big spawners. The high-grading is already beginning, and bound to get worse. Actually, just tell every guided angler you see fishing for halibut that they should be fishing in Homer instead of SE Alaska... I'd rather see them take 2 50-60 lb. fish up there than taking 1 of the big females that they're hauling in here. It's probably much cheaper to fly to ANC and charter a boat with 20+ on it anyway... besides, you can take bigger (and more) ling cod and you can keep king salmon over 28" in August... seems like a much better destination than SE to me.

Happy Alaska Travels Everyone!
    -Case

It's not about protecting the resource, its about resource allocation. The commercial fishing fleet takes 85-90% of the halibut, the private angler whether in his own boat or a charter takes the rest.

The commercial guys have more pull with the management folks so were able to push the change to 1 per day.

It's all about the money.

Default It's about both

Charter guys are commercial too. I emailed the govoners office to air my rather vehement opinions on this. I was told the commercial fishermen took a hit too, they lost half their quotas. But I am really with letting anything over 100lbs go. Start a Derby like is in Homer, it's called the 100# club. They get a prize at the end of the year, I think it was only like a $1000 bucks because there weren't as many takers, in a raffle type drawing. Anyone letting one go got to put their name in the hat. Unfortunatly I didn't get to join the club. That is pretty hard to do with long lines, but charters could maybe go with two if under say 50# only one if over. It is that macho, have to kill the biggest one, we all get caught up in, but I would rather see the stocks last. I was all for it when the Deshka closed. I thought they opened it too soon. It should have been given a full 5 years to recover. As for sending your problems to another area that doesn't really solve anything does it? I mentioned the trawlers and was told that the govoner lobbies to get the by catch issue examined more thouroughly.
    here is an excerpt from the letter emailed to me.

The best advice I can offer is to communicate your concerns to the
    > members of the North Pacific Fishery Management Council. If you visit
    > http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/npfmc/membership/council/council_membership.htm
    > , you will see a list of all council members along with their e-mail
    > addresses. They are the decision makers regarding halibut management.
    > The council also accepts written public comments by fax. Comments sent
    > this way are distributed to council members at the next meeting. The
    > fax number is 271-2817.
    > the attention it deserves.

I don't have a fax so haven't yet sent my concerns on to the board but think it may be our only way to be heard.
    Last year when this was still mostly rumor I emailed Lisa Murkowski's office, she told me it was a state issue and she couldn't do anything about it. Hmm... wonder if she has been informed it is her job yet.
    I have grand kids and I want to see this sport and food source preserved, if that means cuts that is what we have to do. But keep it fair, 85% just doesn't see right does it?

>