Thread: Need help Trout fishing

Default Need help Trout fishing

Im taking my 6 year old nephew fishing tonight and would love to get him some fish. Im going to Seymore and I've been there a few times so far but have nothing to show for it. Any suggestions? thank you
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Never fished that particular lake, but I've had my best success using cocktail shrimp on cloudy days. If the water is under 10' I'll use a bobber and have the shrimp about 6' down. Typically I fish in 18' to 20' of water and have the lines hanging over the edge of the boat at different depths. I fish from a boat with 2 small kids and casting would be ugly.

For some reason I do really bad on sunny days regardless of the bait.

Good luck and thanks for taking a young kid out fishing.

Smile Berkley PowerBait

Berkley PowerBait has always worked for me... more specifically the pink with sparkles! I've been laughed at before, been told that stuff doesn't work... but I've also been told you can't catch trout over 20" on the lakes here at Elmendorf AFB, until I pulled in one about 24"... so I recommend powerbait, I've used it back home when I lived in Oregon, I use it up here, and have been pretty successful, sometimes hits every couple minutes... I would check on regulations for using powerbait at this lake first, I know some lakes in Oregon do not allow the use of this type of bait.

All I do is take an Eagle Claw Snell (hook with line and loop already tied)size 6 or 8 hook, tie it about a foot and a half up from the end of my line, and at the end of my line tie a weight, size of weight doesn't really matter as long as the weight holds it down, the bigger the weight the farther the casting though... dig out a small amount of powerbait and roll it in your hands to make a ball, put it on the hook, using just enough to cover the hook, dip it in the water a little bit so the bait gets sticky and sticks to the hook, cast out or just drop the line over the boat, wait until the weight hits the bottom, reel the line in so the line is tight, the bait should float about a foot and half above the floor of the lake, and just wait for a big hit!!... sorry if this is all ran together, I tried making as much sense as possible!! Hope it was help!!

I fished Seymour Lake a couple of times. We had the best success on a slow troll with a small flat fish. Awesome bows in that lake.

Default thank you!!!

Hey thanks alot guys, Im taking him out tommorow. I went out tonight to do a little 'scouting' but was skunked, but saw lots of fish on the fish finder so am not too discouraged. Once again thank you!
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

You live in the heart of it all.

Give the fish what they like to eat in their natural diet.

Were I a man trying to get my son on a fish in Houston, I'd be looking elsewhere...

Take your kid out on your explorations... then hand him your pole when you hook up.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default >>>--------->

One thing I rarely seen mentioned and has allways produced great results for us is Mealworms.You can purchase a small container in most sporting goods sections of stores for a couple dollars.Our childrens friends we take out get a kick outa baiting them on a hook.Ive seen them get the bite when eggs,flies and lures are being ignored.
    Ive never been a big fan of handling long squirmy dirt worms,but these dry non threatening little guys are no problem at all,at all,at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman View Post
    I fished Seymour Lake a couple of times. We had the best success on a slow troll with a small flat fish. Awesome bows in that lake.
    How is the boat launch at Seymour Lake? Can I back a 16 ft. boat down it?

Im pretty sure you could.