Thread: 2 way radios.....

Default 2 way radios.....

Anybody offer any advice on affordable 2 way radios with decent coverage, something that could be used in the boat, motorbikes(headseat), and hunting?? The family radio sets advertise good coverage only in the flattest line of sight terrain...with the capability of VOX...might be a tall order staying affordable and realistic.

Boomer

Be careful using radio's for hunting, it is illegal in Alaska.

Default radios...

thanks for the advice..actually I live in Alta.,Canada, probably are here too....was hoping for a doo-everything package..lol....

Boomer

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Be careful using radio's for hunting, it is illegal in Alaska.
    Not totaly true to the letter of the law. It is illegal to use them to guide another hunter to an animal. It is not illegal to use them to keep track of each other. There are several users here the have the Rhino by Garmin. It actualy has a GPS built in and can be linked to your hunting partners GPS so they show up as a marker on your GPS screen. I believe it uses VOX depending on the model. Would likely meet all your requirements EXCEPT the "AFFORDABLE" part ($370 on Amazon.com)...
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Not totaly true to the letter of the law. It is illegal to use them to guide another hunter to an animal. It is not illegal to use them to keep track of each other.
    Good luck
    You got that right Lujon. They are VERY important to have if you hunt with other guys and split up during the day. Everybody can't be carrying a satellite phone. Very many legal uses for these two way radio phones on a hunt.

I like my Rinos for the GPS location of other users, like a kid on a snowmachine. I read about GMRS radios but if a license is required you may as well go to a marine handheld. They have pretty impressive range but I don't know the limits. Much further than a Rino, I know that. Do you need a license for marine radios?

This link shows GMRS radios that claim 30 mile range. I've never tried one and I'd sure like to hear some feedback from somebody that has.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ge&id=cat12077

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Not totaly true to the letter of the law. It is illegal to use them to guide another hunter to an animal. It is not illegal to use them to keep track of each other. There are several users here the have the Rhino by Garmin. It actualy has a GPS built in and can be linked to your hunting partners GPS so they show up as a marker on your GPS screen. I believe it uses VOX depending on the model. Would likely meet all your requirements EXCEPT the "AFFORDABLE" part ($370 on Amazon.com)...
    Good luck
    I didn't say he couldn't carry them around....I said he can't use them for HUNTING, big difference there. If I were carrying a radio and was out hunting and got checked by F&G, what do you think they would say? Thats why I said BE CAREFUL.

I don't use them but I have often wished I had them hunting thick bunny terain with a partner or two. I have passed on numerous shots because I was unsure of where my partner was. I can't direct him to the rabbit but I can ask him where he is before I take a shot. It is kind of like hiking meat out through an area that is not open to hunting. You may get a second look from the trooper but as long as you are legal you are legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I like my Rinos for the GPS location of other users, like a kid on a snowmachine. I read about GMRS radios but if a license is required you may as well go to a marine handheld. They have pretty impressive range but I don't know the limits. Much further than a Rino, I know that. Do you need a license for marine radios?

This link shows GMRS radios that claim 30 mile range. I've never tried one and I'd sure like to hear some feedback from somebody that has.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ge&id=cat12077
    You don't need a license to use a marine radio. You are required to be using them to communicate between vessels or the shore. With that said, I have used mine while conducting errands around town. Unless you're using a channel that you shouldn't be using like 6, 16 or any USCG only channel, I doubt you would ever attract the attention of the FCC or CG.

If you bought a GMRS license, you would be one of a handful of suckers in America that actually gave the FCC $80. GMRS frequencies have gone the way of the CB in the 70's. There seems to be zero enforcement of any regulations on these frequencies. I've only heard one person in the last 5 years use a call sign on GMRS frequencies.

The 30 mile claim on GMRS radios is complete BS! Unless one person is standing on Mt. McKinley, you won't get 30 mile coverage. With that said, the maximum distance I have successfully used a gmrs radio communicating to another gmrs radio was 23 miles. Keep in mind, I was on a mountain (8000ft) overlooking a large valley (2000ft) where the other person was. I live in a relatively flat area. My wife and I have 50 Watt commercial radios which we communicate with on the GMRS frequencies. On average we can't communicate more than 5 miles! That's with a top of the line commercial radio with a good 5/8 wave (3 foot) high gain antenna mounted 6 feet high. How could a 5 watt radio with a feeble antenna, and no ground plane outperform that. It can't! These marketing geniuses believe that since you could possibly talk from mountain top to mountain top 30 miles, that these radios have a 30 mile effective range. Don't believe the hype.

GMRS radios operate on UHF frequencies. The higher frequencies are better at penetrating buildings, but perform poorly penetrating trees or skirting over hills. Longer wave lengths such as VHF perform better with these tasks. For this reason, maybe the marine radio or a MURS radio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service) would be better for you. My VHF marine band handhelds get twice the range of my UHF GMRS handheld radios. Both are 5 watts. The fact that the Marine radios are usually waterproof is also a great plus.

Good info. Thanks!

We have Midland brand handhelds that go 26 miles across the frozen lake, and 16 through dense forest. These are not expensive at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer.1 View Post
    Anybody offer any advice on affordable 2 way radios with decent coverage, something that could be used in the boat, motorbikes(headseat), and hunting?? The family radio sets advertise good coverage only in the flattest line of sight terrain...with the capability of VOX...might be a tall order staying affordable and realistic.

Boomer
    I just use the motorola Talk abouts. In open country they work very well. In dense forest not as well. On the tundra I've talked over 5 miles. In forest it is less than a mile. about 70 dollars a pair last I checked.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by mnfish365 View Post
    We have Midland brand handhelds that go 26 miles across the frozen lake, and 16 through dense forest. These are not expensive at all.
    if true, that would be impressive...which model of Midland?...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I have a pair of Uniden's that are of decent quality. There is a listed 8 mile range, weather channel, and they seem to hold their charge very well. I like them.